FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Suggestion to admins/mods Closing threads





S3nd K3ys
You have been real busy closing threads that need to be closed because they're duplicated. It's tough keeping up, I know from experience of running a 15,000+ member site with over 93,000 posts.

What I'm going to ask will only add to your work, so if I'm out of line, tell me to shut up. Wink

Sometimes there are good replies in the threads you close. Would it be possible to prune/move the relitive threads to the thread you leave open?

At least on the 'quality' topics? I know you've got your hands full, but once in a while if you see something obviously relevant, could you consider it?

Just a thought. Thanks.
Bondings
That's true, we'll try to move them. But it's better not to create those duplicate topics in the first place.
S3nd K3ys
Bondings wrote:
That's true, we'll try to move them. But it's better not to create those duplicate topics in the first place.


I agree 100%, but we both know that's not gonna happen with this many threads per day. (I guess that's one of the problems with success.) Wink

I appreciate it. Very Happy
mOrpheuS
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Would it be possible to prune/move the relitive threads to the thread you leave open?

What would serve the purpose well is a topic-merge mod.

These are two that I found at the phpbb official site.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=149057
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=287988
both have been officially released.

perhaps one can be installed here.
Wink
DivineConclave
I would like to suggest that the mods be made to read the threads before they close them. Actually had a very nice thread with mature and intelligent conversation going on, sharing of ideas, etc. One flame came into the thread and the mod closed it with this:

Quote:

Of all the topics where people don't bother to search before mindlessly creating duplicates, World of Warcraft is consistently among the worst. For a while, this seemed under control. Please don't let it get out of hand again, but continue the discussion in the original thread where it belongs.

-close-


Now... had s/he read the thread, it would have been obvious that there was a poll involved and that the discussion therein was of an intelligent and peaceful nature. There was no reason to close it. In addition, you will note that the moderator said to take it to the original thread... ok. Where's the original thread? I did a search and had to go PAGES back before I saw one about WoW. I don't see why it should matter if there was no interruption. We, as members, were asked to post. That's what we were doing. And they weren't nonsensical posts. Maybe I am a little slow to figure these things out, but when the posters are being polite, intelligent, and communicative... shouldn't that be condoned and not punished?

To view the thread in question, check out:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-46243-2.html


EDIT: Oops. I didn't search to see if this topic had already been submitted.
-closed-
mathiaus
I'll merge this topic for you Smile

Ok, your situation - From what I've read (I haven't been able to confirm though with Traveller), the thread was closed because it was a duplicate, not because of the flame (It wasn't mentioned).
As for the search, just look for 'wow' in the games forum. It's only four pages and if you are using a decent browser you can search those pages quickly for the term.
As for being punished, you weren't. You were asked to reply in the original thread and the one you had been posting in was closed which meant you still had all your points/frih etc (ie. It wasn't deleted). I personally don't have the time to study (or any knowledge of WoW) to know whether they were suitible for merging. If you think that would be a better option though, please let us know Smile
DivineConclave
mathiaus wrote:
I'll merge this topic for you Smile

Ok, your situation - From what I've read (I haven't been able to confirm though with Traveller), the thread was closed because it was a duplicate, not because of the flame (It wasn't mentioned).
As for the search, just look for 'wow' in the games forum. It's only four pages and if you are using a decent browser you can search those pages quickly for the term.
As for being punished, you weren't. You were asked to reply in the original thread and the one you had been posting in was closed which meant you still had all your points/frih etc (ie. It wasn't deleted). I personally don't have the time to study (or any knowledge of WoW) to know whether they were suitible for merging. If you think that would be a better option though, please let us know Smile


Alrighty. No worries. Thank you. That was a much more professional approach, in my opinion and one that I am much more willing to work with and not feel all defensive about.

I wouldn't worry about merging em. I linked the closed topic into the other so others could join in or reply in the 'original' thread. I know it wasn't about the flame, but the timing seemed to point to that. The thread was going for days before the close and then there was one flame and >>POOF<< closed. So it raised an eyebrow.

But again, thank you. I feel better now that I don't think that is the typical moderator attitude. I run a forum site with over 200 members and am the only moderator at the moment... so I know that it can get frustrating... but I try to keep my responses as professional as I can. Sorry for being one of "those people". Smile
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.