FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Alie
GSC and THQ Team worked hard for six years untill final release S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Shadow of Chernobyl, and there it is: full, completed version of this action RPG game with strange and dangerous atmosphere.

What do you think about it? Your commentsand screenshots are wellcome Twisted Evil
Keran
I'm playing it two days now and I must say i luv this game ;] It's really awesome, feels so real and the world is huge and full of secrets, you can just go, explore... and get killed by some random radiation anomaly...
So far the only thing I didn't like was the limited character interaction, the questgivers have only like 3 options:
"say something interesting" (Everyone has that and they mostly say the same lines)
"Have you got any mission for me?"
and "Trade"...
The other characters have only "Say something interesting" and trade.
Maybe it's only in the beginning but I think so far it's kinda poor, it could have been more complex.
But still I think the game is awesome and it's worth playing, You can see that these 6 years of creating this game payed off.
Heart Ticket
Alie wrote:
GSC and THQ Team worked hard for six years untill final release S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Shadow of Chernobyl, and there it is: full, completed version of this action RPG game with strange and dangerous atmosphere.

What do you think about it? Your commentsand screenshots are wellcome Twisted Evil

I played this game 1-2 years ago at a console convention at excel in london, it was pretty good but it tooks its sweet time to come out didnt it?

James
Patriot Players
I heard about this years ago, its only just coming out now? Weird. Hopefully all that development time made it worth checking out.
Kitten Kong
I'm not so sure that it was worth such a huge wait but it is definitely an excellent game. Amazing graphics (it is beautiful on my core 2 duo but still works smoothly and looks good on my crappy AMD 3200+)

The best thing is the wide open world, im not a fan of linear games. If anything it reminds me of FarCry and being able to attack a situation from anywhere i choose.
kks2john
LOL Kitten Kong, i have a crappy A64 3200+ Sad

Atleast i have a 7900gs which is decent, so hopefully Stalker will run OK, been reading reviews on it and looks awesome... really want to try out the Multiplayer ive heard its similar to Counter-Strike which i used to play ALOT, anyone tried out the multiplayer and have any thoughts on it?
rokovski
i played this game and is realy good. everyone who likes fps games should try it Cool
marrs
I have only played the game for quite a short time BUT I am most disappointed,its always the same THIS game had so many possibilities but it turned into a R.P.G adventure I think most people expected the next "FAR CRY" I diffinely did and I was most disappointed.
After just smashing my way through F.E.A.R and the expansion pack stalker just didn't have the speed,textures or game play I was expecting.

Mabee I will give it another try but at the moment I'm swimming around with
"Run Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" its BRILLANT!!!!
Keran
After passing the game I must say that this game is far away from being "Like" FarCry. Mostly because the whole area just seems kind off small, it's just like few large maps connected with each other. Though I must say that there are some stages of the game that really made an incredible impression on me and I was really impressed with the creativity of the producers. Also the whole Chernobyl zone feels really realistic, atleast for me it seemed really attractive.

Like Gamespot said something like: Even though this game isn't the best FPS game out there, it still has some really cool moments and ideas. Every gamer should at least try playing it - It's worth it...
Kitten Kong
Yeah, it is like FarCry but less beautiful. It is packed full of atmosphere and gets the post apocolyptic feel pretty good, but endless wasteland just isn't as fun as lush jungle.

Not to take away from it though, it is an AWESOME game, lots of fun.
Alie
I remember my first arriving to the second location, when one of the stalkers asking you to help him protect old parking lot from bandits. It was at night. Five stalkers hided behing the vehicles and wait for bandits. I found place to hide with good view on parking lot not far from them.
All thease seconds before command to attack I felt like before real battle Smile Adrenalin emotions Smile
And then was a fight. Not like in Doom, where you're rushing from the first level up to the end! It was good team fight when you not only kill them all, you try to help your team mates, because you know, that without their help you'll be dead in a minute.
After all the battle was over and I started to search for some bullets and medkits. I've found one of our stalkers dead. Suddenly the second wave of bandits arrived...
We survived the second wave, that was much less easier then the first one. two stalkers were killed and one asked for medkit. I helped him and set near the fire. From now there are only three of us protecting this place. I didn't know the location so prefered to stay here untill the morning instead of being killed somewhere by bandits or anomalies. We all set near the fire and I listened to the stalkers' conversation (I understand russian Wink ) hear them speaking gave me an optimistic feeling, but was interrupted by the third wave.
Actually there are only two bandits, so we finished with them really quick this time. One more success and one more hour passed Only few hours remain to the dawn.
The fourth wave was huge After long fight I've mensioned that from now I'm all alone without ammo and with half broken weapon. I understood, that I have no chance against one more wave like the last one. The best desision was to hide inside one of the buses. On my way there found only pistol bullets, so remained without good firearm
At this moment I understand that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the first game, that forced me to hide inside old bus, to check every second in PDA how much time left untill dawn and prey for arriving new stalkers from another locations!

And this is atmosphere!

Yes! All thease conversations between stalkers near camp fire are the same and repeat every ten minutes, AI tactics is worse then in F.E.A.R. and bloodsucker is much less frightful then the first time, but the first impression is awesome.

By hte way, what do you think about x-18 and x-16 labs? Twisted Evil
Dj Redrum
Have'nt yet played it as i doubt my graphics card would work at the moment till i get it upgraded. it looks ok though from the few video reviews that i've watched when it first got released, but they rated it quite poor on some of the gameplay. i'd just have to pick it up and see what its like
Keran
Alie wrote:
I remember my first arriving to the second location, when one of the stalkers asking you to help him protect old parking lot from bandits. It was at night. Five stalkers hided behing the vehicles and wait for bandits. I found place to hide with good view on parking lot not far from them.
All thease seconds before command to attack I felt like before real battle Smile Adrenalin emotions Smile
And then was a fight. Not like in Doom, where you're rushing from the first level up to the end! It was good team fight when you not only kill them all, you try to help your team mates, because you know, that without their help you'll be dead in a minute.
After all the battle was over and I started to search for some bullets and medkits. I've found one of our stalkers dead. Suddenly the second wave of bandits arrived...
We survived the second wave, that was much less easier then the first one. two stalkers were killed and one asked for medkit. I helped him and set near the fire. From now there are only three of us protecting this place. I didn't know the location so prefered to stay here untill the morning instead of being killed somewhere by bandits or anomalies. We all set near the fire and I listened to the stalkers' conversation (I understand russian Wink ) hear them speaking gave me an optimistic feeling, but was interrupted by the third wave.
Actually there are only two bandits, so we finished with them really quick this time. One more success and one more hour passed Only few hours remain to the dawn.
The fourth wave was huge After long fight I've mensioned that from now I'm all alone without ammo and with half broken weapon. I understood, that I have no chance against one more wave like the last one. The best desision was to hide inside one of the buses. On my way there found only pistol bullets, so remained without good firearm
At this moment I understand that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the first game, that forced me to hide inside old bus, to check every second in PDA how much time left untill dawn and prey for arriving new stalkers from another locations!

And this is atmosphere!

Yes! All thease conversations between stalkers near camp fire are the same and repeat every ten minutes, AI tactics is worse then in F.E.A.R. and bloodsucker is much less frightful then the first time, but the first impression is awesome.

By hte way, what do you think about x-18 and x-16 labs? Twisted Evil

Wow that's quite an experience you've got there... Maybe it's just me, but I've never could get into the game world as much as you did. All i've done playing this game was simply going forward and doing side quests once a while and also exploring but not so often...
It didn't had that much of an impact on me, the whole game world, I didn't cared much if it's day or night, I just kept going forward... I guess that's just me that I didn't felt the atmosphere of the game that i was suppouse to feel ;]
I must say that I didn't like the whole city they've got there, not much you could interract with and generally not much to do there...
Also the labs were awesome, completelly different than the other missions, really scary at some points. I loved them ;]
Alie
Quote:
Wow that's quite an experience you've got there...

Actually it was one of lots of moments, that I had during the game. I just hate to rush untill the end, I'm always trying to find as much secrets as possible, to be in every place in this world. And the most important thing - don't save your game progress for a hour at least:)
viborg
Have'nt yet played it as i doubt my graphics card would work at the moment till i get it upgraded. it looks ok though from the few video reviews that i've watched when it first got released, but they rated it quite poor on some of the gameplay. i'd just have to pick it up and see what its like
Alie
Don't worry about the graphics. Actually I have Pentium 2.5 processor, ATI 9800 Pro video card, and 1gb. RAM. The game runs without much problems, but on low graphics and with static render. Anyway I didn't expect to run this game on my computer.
If you want to play on maximum graphics - you need Intel 6800 Quad Core, and not Intel 6600 Code Duo, as GSC programmers said, GeForce 8800 GTS/GTX video card, and 3gb RAM.
Then all the game looks more like video!
Crosser
What genre is S.T.A.L.K.E.R?
Can anyone post some good screenshots?
I would also like to know the system requirements and the gameplay please.
marrs
Crosser wrote:
What genre is S.T.A.L.K.E.R?
Can anyone post some good screenshots?
I would also like to know the system requirements and the gameplay please.

Just follow this link http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1246 my friend its a 3D perspective ego shooter,using direct X 9 maybe they should of waited and used the new unreal engine which runs with direct X 10.?
Its a BIG disappointment the game lags a LOT even on my system which is a Athlon 64 X2 4800+
1gb RAM
256 mb Nvidia 6600 PCI
250gb Sata
DVD D/L Burner
DVD rom

I hope theres going to be some patches which will hopefully increase the ambience.
I havent played the whole game through YET and im thinking about trying it again maybe update first my graphics card and maybe chuck in a couple more GB ram....?

Im not happy with this game at all!!!
Alie
Quote:
Im not happy with this game at all!!!

Actualy it is realy good idea to upgrade your hardware, also there are few patches already with more then 100 lags (I'm not sure how many lags were fixed in the last patch). Those patches also optimise your game for an old hardware. Try it Wink
By the way, you can't use your saves from 1.000 version on patched one (like 1.001).
http://www.stalker-game.com
Check offisial site for patches and other stuff.
BioRage
Once a co-op mod is released i'll buy it ASAP.
Alie
Multyplayer mode gives you ability to play simple "team on team" or artifact hunt. Artifact hunting mode is like flags mode in Unreal Tournament.
By the way, here you can see nice co-op game trailer:
http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=video
ownaging
I have played this game by a friend, very cool game! then i have bought it but it my pc is too slow =(
Alie
Quote:
my pc is too slow =(

What hardware you have?Try patches for this game. After patching up to 1.0001 at least I felt the difference. But my friends, who have much newer computers then have told me that the game still eat lots of resources. So I think all this patches help only to weak systems.
fadirocks
check my brother tweaks
he is battling with the game using just GF6600
http://fadi.frih.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79&start=20
there is something to do with float32 mod
http://www.thefloatingpoint.org/main/download.php?list.4

he finally got it working not great but check it out
Alie
I've tried already an optimisation of the user.ltx file - without float32 mod I felt no difference... But all thease shaders in float look regular! Shocked So what's their point? How this thing works?