FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

newbie MySQL question

spam
ok, I know nothing Smile do I have to use Php to interact with MySQL, or can I use python? What is the best way to start learning, on the web server or by setting up MySQL on my PC? All I want to do is the very basics just to see how it all works, help much appreciated, spam
PseudoKnight
I learned using a web server, but most good web developers have their own installation from what I've read. It's just the way I like to do things. Even when I've had my own Apache server I never really used it for much testing.

MySQL is accessible by various server-side programming languages, including Python and PHP. I prefer PHP because it's pretty easy, essentially made for web development, interacts with SQL really simply, and has just a ton of support. But if you're really comfortable with Python you could go with that. PHP wouldn't be that hard to learn, though. I suppose more knowledgeable programmers (i'm not really that familiar with Python) might say that it depends on what kind of app you were trying to make.
meejoku
spam wrote:
ok, I know nothing Smile do I have to use Php to interact with MySQL, or can I use python? What is the best way to start learning, on the web server or by setting up MySQL on my PC? All I want to do is the very basics just to see how it all works, help much appreciated, spam

actualy, its depends on what do you try to make.
if you want to develop on your local PC, you must install web server.
if you want to using a database, you must setting up MySQL. (or SQL server, or other database).

for me, php much popular than python, so I choose php Smile

so, to start learning, you can install web server (for php) and setting up MySQL (for database).

regards,
-awi-
kv
If all you need to do is learn mysql, you neither need php nor python. All you need is mysql. Just install mysql server. It comes with a command line client. Type your sql commands in the mysql prompt. play around.
chris20
Learning how to use mysql is pointless though if you can't make scripts that interact with the database's. I prefer php to python especially since the free hosting sites out there more often support php than python. Also, in regards to setting up a webserver on your local machine, I use IIS, the default web server that comes with windows. It is possible to install php on it, and it saves the headache of running apache and what not.

I know IIS sucks, but its great for local testing in my opinion, and if you ever want to learn asp.net, iis is nice/necessary to have.

In conclusion, learn php and learn it by making a website that has something to do with data in a database, thats probably the best way to do it. And also learn asp.net while you are at it because you can get a really nice paying job.
janith
For basic development, I would suggest setting up a WAMPhttp://www.wampserver.com/en/ or XAMPPhttp://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html server on your machine. It's like having a web server but on your machine, and it comes with Apache, MySQL and PHP installed, so you don't need to do any setting up. Smile

Once you install that, all you need is a small database connectivity script, like this PHP example: http://php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-connect.php (scroll down to the examples section)

Note: For production web sites, please use Parametrized SQL. Why? Because it's secure against SQL injection, which is a top threat to website security. Jeff Atwood, who created StackExchange, has a good blog post about it here: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/04/give-me-parameterized-sql-or-give-me-death.html

How to create Parametrized SQL in PHP is covered here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.execute.php Smile
adri
spam wrote:

You don't need any programming language to learn MySQL. The best way to learn it, is to buy a book that includes a database with records on a cd (or something similar, like an online download). In the book, they continuously use that database to explain all core concepts.

Installing it locally on a pc is advised to begin with, although setting it up could be more tedious than just logging in to an existing control panel and setting up a database.
phphunger
Hi newbie,

Remember one thing to learn any of the RDBMS or in your terms Database like MySQL you don't need to learn any programming language like PHP or Python. If you want to become a Complete Web Developer then you have to master all these things like php,mysql,apache. But your intention is to learn is to learn only MySQL so you can directly learn MySQL without the need of any programming language. I hope you got it.