FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux photoshop?

olskar
What can I use instead of photoshop in linux? dont like gimp...
{name here}
olskar wrote:
What can I use instead of photoshop in linux? dont like gimp...

Yes, GIMP sucks. Your only other alternative that is decent is Pixel, which is a pretty decent photoshop clone, better than any other gimpy editor(pun fully intended) for Linux. You have to pay a little for it, though.
fadirocks
about 4 yrs ago I actually managed to have Macromedia Fireworks MX working on wine
olskar
Yeah.. now I remember. I tried pixel once and loved it! It was just like photoshop almost! But I didnt have the money to spend..

I had photoshop running with wine but I really want to avoid running windowsprograms on my linuxbox as much as possible.. It feels strange to have them there : o

If you want to have PS on your linux, dont try the newest CS.. try 7.0 or something, worked for me. Smile
Shake
Pixel looks like a nice Photoshop clone, and thought I haven't tried it, I have to say it looks fabulous. I guess right now it's $38 at http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12, which isn't that much for such a program like that if it really lives up to what Adobe's Photoshop has to offer. I might try it soon, but if I ever have to do any professional work I will likely stick with Photoshop.
redice
You may use wine or crossOver office to run photoshop under Linux. But this is not means you can get a free photoshop. you have to buy a proper license for it.
dedicatedtolkien
As far as good photo editing, the only editor I'm aware of is GIMP. However, there's a program called Xnview that does a good job with more basic editing tasks.
WickedGravity
Is it the style of GIMP you don't like? it can't be what it can do, because if not equal to, it exceeds Photoshop's capabilities if you have the proper plugins installed.
corey
Gimpshop? The look and feel of Photoshop without the Photoshop.
Studio Madcrow
Two suggestions: Photoshop 7 works GREAT in WINE (the Windows runtime environment that lets you run Windows apps in Linux). Also be sure to try Krita, the KDE image editor. It has a nicer interface than the GIMP and has some AWESOME features like "natural media" drawing and painting tools, support for 16-bit-per-channel (48-bit) RGB, CMYK and L*a*b colorspaces. Given a few years for plugin support to come up to scratch, I suspect it will take over the Linux graphics market from Gimp.
yjwong
Photoshop CS2 works using Wine on Ubuntu (at least on my installation). You have to import all the registry keys from your Windows installation of Photoshop, then convert the keys (quite a tedious process), then import into wine's registry editor. Photoshop CS2, however, initializes very slowly, but after it loads completely, it is fine.
welshsteve
It's a shame the makers of Paint.NET haven't made a Linux version, but I guess the reason for this is that it's written in .NET. You can, however, run some .NET application in Linux using Mono - http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
mostwanted
i don't see the point of a Photoshop for Linux.. Linux/Unix is designed for server hosting and networking, not graphic design
Ecthelion
mostwanted wrote:
i don't see the point of a Photoshop for Linux.. Linux/Unix is designed for server hosting and networking, not graphic design

Yes, but as you may not be aware, Linux evolves (unlike windows)

Today, most linux distributions offer a (very!) stable operating system with lots of opensource programs included. AND it's getting very graphics too...
Ever heard of beryl? Want to know what linux looks like, then search for beryl on youtube, you might be surprised of how graphic linux gets...

As for the program, I also recommend Krita http://koffice.kde.org/krita/
But of course, you can only use it if you have Ubuntu or Kubuntu installed.

(Ubuntu's my favorite)
Arno v. Lumig
corey wrote:

I've installed both Gimp and Gimpshop a few times, and except for the naming of some functions I don't see any differences. The GUI is still as messy as Gimp and not Photoshop-like at all.
{name here}
corey wrote:

I tried that and it felt only like they added the dark window the the background to make it an MDI.
infobankr
I love linux and UNIX / posix operating systems, so I use Macs for their BSD core and the ability to run Adobe / Macromedia / Corel (Painter) software (among others).

In addition to the basics, I also run Parallels for Quickbooks and IE support in Windows and pure linux with debian and ubuntu.

Q is nice too, and I use kqemu on my native linux workstations. Good stuff.
Studio Madcrow
welshsteve wrote:
It's a shame the makers of Paint.NET haven't made a Linux version, but I guess the reason for this is that it's written in .NET. You can, however, run some .NET application in Linux using Mono - http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

They've been working on porting it, but it's hard because the original codebase depended heavily on some features not really implemented in Mono. As Mono becomes more complete and Paint.NET becomes more "generic" in it's code, I fully expect Paint.NET to run on Linux soon.
Mannix
(I really like GIMP actually... ...It takes some forethought to use, but it seems to do a pretty good job.)
TheGeek
GIMP is actually not that bad. It is very different from Photoshop functionality wise, but once you get to learning how to use it you find that it is actually very powerful. I have to agree that I like the Photoshop interface much better, but I know my way around GIMP to and if I had to use it I could, but I would prefer photoshop.
hicham_the_webmaster
It's not fair to say THE GIMP is baaaad, even it's still weak in some categories (especially graphical rendering, motifs, GUI ... ), GIMP is the one of the best alternative from the open source world and even on Windows OS. Rolling Eyes