FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


The Origins and Evolution of Religion





jharsika
I am looking for a sort of family tree of religions. This can go in history because I'm talking about actual events, the forming of groups over time etc, and not the philosophy of the religions. Does anyone know about what religions were formed from others and why?

I know that Protestants became there own "sect" type thing in the 1600s or something because of Martin Luther who refused to have anything to do with the corruption of the Catholic Church. Of course over time Protestants' leaders became corrupt too. Then there are Lutherans etc. There is also the stories of the prophets and stuff, for each major religion. It goes on and on.

So far all I have been able to find is a timeline, no actual diagram which shows what religions were derived from where and when they were formed.
eggg
You'll never be able to construct a family-tree style timeline, because religions just didn't develop in that straight of a line. Influences went back and forth over centuries, things changed and re-changed, etc... It would be a lot like the family-tree of a family who's been engaged in incest for many many generations.

But if you'd like to start somewhere, Sumer might be a good place to look.
jharsika
What is Sumer?

I suppose if I wanted an exact time-line family tree type thing yeah it would be hard, but even a basic sketch would be good to do/see.

Thanks.

PS haha....incest....
quex
Yeah... this is a hell of an order. You might have better luck classifying the main branches of that modern family tree and breaking them up from there. For example, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism... and those are just the big ones that pop up in western news and media. And, of course, how far are you willing to go to the modern age? There are thousands of "cult" religions sprung from the mainstream that are considered valid religions by their followers or in their country of origin, or which may soon gain valid status. And what about Discordians? Scientology? FSMism? Where could these fit in?

Drawing the tree from the roots sounds like something of a holy grail. (Hah, unintentional pun.) You'd have to go all the way back to Ur, Mesopotamia (or further) and figure out what they were worshipping, why, and how... and good luck from there!

IF you decide you'd like to make this a serious research project, I'd love to have in on it. I can help you in the realm of Japanese native and adopted religions, from the Wa ages to present cultist movements. It sounds like a great challenge!
jharsika
Well.....it would be a very arduous(imagine the research you'd have to do....), yet interesting project. I don't know if there's any point though. I have no reason to be doing this, no book deal or school assignment or any reason/incentive to do it.

Any suggestions as to what type of system I could use to keep track of everything(If I did it...which crazily I'm considering)? Maybe the Inspirations program would be good with it's flowchart capabilities (thingy)...or just plain a sh*tload of paper or I don't know...
quex
...well, I guess the incentive would have been the research. (Einstein didn't postulate the Theory of Relativity on commission!)

A flowchart would probably be a bad idea, as it segments information, whereas history is a continuous stream. The best graphic method for aligning historical information is (not surprisingly) a timeline. More specifically, I'd suggest the use of multiple, parallel timelines divided by geographic location and human population interaction. And color-coding. Lots of colors.

I remember seeing something of similar make in a bible once. It was a running history of the twelve tribes of Israel, presenting their strength in the region over the years as the width of each tribe's bar as it extended down the page. Very clever use of space and presentation. A quick GIS hasn't turned up the image, though. Damn.
DeFwh
Well according to almost all religions, all started with a higher being creating the earth and seeding it with sentient beings. To this day it has not been established what religions were created first or in which order as some were ancient and others were farces that were said to be ancient.
bangala
In Islam there are so many sectors that evolved from within Islam. Basically, there are two main sectors in Islam: Sunni and Shiite. The Later has so many sub-sectors that eventually evolved into totally different religions, such as the Druze, which is presently existing in Syria and Lebanon.
DaComboMan
DeFwh wrote:
Well according to almost all religions, all started with a higher being creating the earth and seeding it with sentient beings.


That's an interesting observation.
Another one is the fact that they (most) also confirm the great deluge.

DeFwh wrote:
To this day it has not been established what religions were created first or in which order as some were ancient and others were farces that were said to be ancient.


Not sure i know what you mean by this.
Every religion had a specific start in history:
Judaism (centuries before Christ of course ha!),
Christianity (around 2000 years ago) and
Islam (with the prophet Mohammed at 6th century).

An extensive list of religions can be found practically anywhere on the web.
Here's one i found on About.com:
http://en.allexperts.com/e/l/li/list_of_religions.htm
DeFwh
So what about the Darwins Theory of Evolution. I bet caveman did something semi religious.

Also with a lot of religious texts for example the Bible talks of Adam and Eve but was any of the disciples there?

Sure you can carbon date books to find out when they were made but you cant exactly say according to these texts this religion started then. Your taking the word of a dead author 2000 years ago or something.

Edit:
----------
Some religions even breakoff ones can be traced accurately. I can agree on that but my train of thought has been to religions where they started many years or centuries before the author(s) was born or wrote their religious manual.
DaComboMan
DeFwh wrote:
So what about the Darwins Theory of Evolution. I bet caveman did something semi religious.


Darwin's Theory is quite simply that. A theory.
After about 150 years you'd think they'd realize that it can't be proven.

DeFwh wrote:
Also with a lot of religious texts for example the Bible talks of Adam and Eve but was any of the disciples there?


Christ's disciples were born a little over 2000 years ago but their ascendants (as opposed to descendants) transmitted this tradition orally for centuries until it was finally set to rolled up pieces of "paper" a few centuries before Christ. Technology of the times.

DeFwh wrote:
Sure you can carbon date books to find out when they were made but you cant exactly say according to these texts this religion started then. Your taking the word of a dead author 2000 years ago or something.


If you take time to read the New Testament a bit my friend, you will find that the only things Jesus wrote were a few things in the sand.

There is more than one way to tell a story and to prove it happened. Ask any serious archaeologist.
DeFwh
So your saying that playing telephone throughout the centuries might not corrupt a story? Also that the Bible and any other religious book is 100% accurate and one only need but read it to believe, that is faith not truth.

DaComboMan wrote:
DeFwh wrote:
So what about the Darwins Theory of Evolution. I bet caveman did something semi religious.


Darwin's Theory is quite simply that. A theory.
After about 150 years you'd think they'd realize that it can't be proven.


After 2000 years has anyone actually proved the existence of any higher being?
DaComboMan
DeFwh wrote:
So your saying that playing telephone throughout the centuries might not corrupt a story? Also that the Bible and any other religious book is 100% accurate and one only need but read it to believe, that is faith not truth.


Do you believe every single word of what is written in your daily newspaper?

God is totally different from what we are.
Humanity had tried to express the various experiences it has had in the supernatural realm with human words. Words that will never be able to totally express who and what this Creator is.

Your gratuitous assertion that faith is not truth could be easily applied to the word reason as well. If you can explain to me what love is, if you can explain to me through whatever ways you can as to why you exist at this very moment, then perhaps i'll believe there is no God.

DaComboMan wrote:
DeFwh wrote:
So what about the Darwins Theory of Evolution. I bet caveman did something semi religious.


Darwin's Theory is quite simply that. A theory.
After about 150 years you'd think they'd realize that it can't be proven.


DeFwh wrote:
After 2000 years has anyone actually proved the existence of any higher being?


Admitting that there are no miracles...
can you prove to me that there is no God?
DeFwh
I cannot prove there is no god as much that you can prove darwins theory of evolution to be incorrect.

In same context science always seems to conflict with religion.

Without being able to prove how we got here we cant prove anything, all we have to go on is our assumptions and intuition.

Let me ask you a question. Today if a man walked on water would you believe it was a trick and question or call it a miracle?

Back then people were afraid to question what they didn't understand.
DaComboMan
DeFwh,

I think we've a bit off topic, hope jharsika didn't mind it too much!
Without going into all the points you touch last, just a reminder that Darwin's theory is supposed to be something scientific, thus evident to all, simple to find, affirm and explain. Ha!

Guess we'll have to pick up this topic (and others) elsewhere in the forum.

I remember seeing charts about the different religions, their "branches" and time slot when they came into being but i can't remember the company. If surfing with Stumbleupon can help, i think they had something on this.
DeFwh
DaComboMan wrote:
DeFwh,

I think we've a bit off topic, hope jharsika didn't mind it too much!
Without going into all the points you touch last, just a reminder that Darwin's theory is supposed to be something scientific, thus evident to all, simple to find, affirm and explain. Ha!

Guess we'll have to pick up this topic (and others) elsewhere in the forum.

I remember seeing charts about the different religions, their "branches" and time slot when they came into being but i can't remember the company. If surfing with Stumble upon can help, i think they had something on this.


Hey its been nice but theres not too much left to debate over, thanks for continuing on the conversation.
dravidan
starting with the request to prove
the existence of HIM ... i m gonna
have to ask to prove otherwise Wink

GOD is a manifestation of certain beliefs
that matured over time ... passing
generations upon generation of settlement.

Right from the days where cave people
painted their faced and bodies with red,
blue and green.

People who gave shape to their beliefs
their fear, their need for power, control.
In due course of time geography gave
rise to different forms of this still maturing
concept.

"Still Maturing" ---- Evidently Wink
josel7u1host
hello Lynn, i have read the entire Bible sometimes and i know how Christinism born so i'm going to start from there. Christianism (Protestants and other Chistian religions) doesn't start with Martin Luther King. it start since the begining of the world with Adam and Eve acording to the Bible, God want a world with people to live happy. thats how religions born for people to be in peace But all the religions don't know that because they allways made wars. everything start with the judaism(israel) many thousands years ago till the born of Jesus Christ on 1 day before Christ. He was the founder of the Cristianism as we all know Jesus had 12 Disciples. he send them to found churches everywere in the world specially to europe. where many people said like Catolic church was found by Peter one of the Disciples and like that other churches born and this churches found other religions like Protestants, Catolics, Presbiterans, Adventists,Metodists, Bautists... almost all the Christian religions start in Europe. Hope this can help you i didn't tell you everything because of space but i believe you have an idea.
breebree
Christianity, Judaism, Islam and the Ba'hai Faith can be traced back to Abraham but as far as I know the most probable source of religion is that which is a byproduct of evolutionary psychology. Although the logical evidence points to there being no God I myself do believe in God, however, the viewpoint of creationists and those who believe that the bible is infallable is all but disproved.

Throughout history God supposedly delivered his words through the prophets Moses, Jesus, Mohammed and Baha'u'lla but there have existed ancient civillisations before these prophets yet God chose not to deliver his will through prophets from Ancient Egypt or China, or from the Americas which were then undiscovered? Also, in the bible there is a lineage given from Adam to the present day (when it was written) however it is a fact that man lived long before the time which Adam was said to have lived.

I now get back to the point, the most probable source of religeon is that a scientifically ignorant society could not begin, through no fault of their own, to comprehend the enormity and complexity of the universe, nature of life or basic sciences and so they adopted the belief that a higher power created the universe as it is the most plausable explanation. It is a great shame that religeon cannot be allowed to coexist or even compliment science and never will.
markrc99
This might as well be a pondering of time & space. All one can do is speculate as to man's proven need to worship something greater than himself, no matter how fictitious and void of fact it is. Once the premise is established, then we see how the madness has endured via power, comformity and social pressure. Once a human culture advances to the stage of being able to reason and communicate, it appears its members require some psychological explaination for their own mortality. It's gonna be alright, your spirit is gonna be set free and fly around and have a great time. Ok Johnny? Now, let's get to the issue at hand here son. Why are you taking your paper route money, buying diapers, and pissing your bed every night? ... lol ...

Many readers might not be aware of it but over time man has developed a chemical in his brain that keeps him level, sane, if you will. I know because I have to take pills every day to keep myself from stressing over things that can manifest from a grain of truth. It's best understood described as a panic disorder, when really, it's a chemical imbalance. The mind is fully aware that there's nothing wrong, no eminent danger exists, but when levels of serotonin and/or norepinephrine in the brain are out of whack, all hell can break loose. Unfortunately, there seems to be just two acknowledged states of mind. People like myself who obviously need some medication and everybody else who doesn't.

Take a few young males who are struggling in this glorious institution of ours who have developed a slight imbalance, that even themselves are not aware of and God only knows what can happen next. This is a bit off the track though. I think it's paramount to separate the creation of a religion and it's role, devolopment, and eventually its corruption in any particular society.
amicalindia
There was no religion when man was with God. Religion started when they separated.


jharsika wrote:
I am looking for a sort of family tree of religions. This can go in history because I'm talking about actual events, the forming of groups over time etc, and not the philosophy of the religions. Does anyone know about what religions were formed from others and why?

I know that Protestants became there own "sect" type thing in the 1600s or something because of Martin Luther who refused to have anything to do with the corruption of the Catholic Church. Of course over time Protestants' leaders became corrupt too. Then there are Lutherans etc. There is also the stories of the prophets and stuff, for each major religion. It goes on and on.

So far all I have been able to find is a timeline, no actual diagram which shows what religions were derived from where and when they were formed.
RubySlasher
It seems that you actually want to see a family tree of Christian divisions, seeing that there are many segregated religions, typically island and Asian ones, that never came in contact with Christianity until much later dates.
The easiest way to start your search, I think, is to look up books and info up about Christian religions and their schisms, their splits shaped by certain events. Checking wikipedia about Christianity in general can lead to the explanation of these divisions, as well as resources to look more in-depth into them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

Also, here's a better explanation on schisms in general.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schism_%28religion%29

Wikipedia also shows this flow chart of events which caused schisms in the order of Christianity:


Basically, simple debates about whether or not Mary was the son of God or the son of Christ by notable figures caused important, ancient councils to be held to discuss such matters. This led to separation in churches over time.
I vaguely know the subject myself, but taking a theology class might also be a good idea if you're that interested.
WackyFiasco
Has anyone seen the Rush video yet for "Malignant Narcissism" from their album Snakes and Arrows?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC9bW0q7o4

I wish there were still images of these trees...
Bluedoll
Very good choice for a research project. Hope you are enjoying it. You got some excellent posts.

You might consider the first book in the bible as a historical event. Obviously it was written by someone(s) and survived through the ages so maybe it could be counted in as reference. Specifically regarding religion the very first account of religion is Cane and Able ‘making an offer’ displays an event of dispute.

After that different groups and societies are recorded as having some kind of religious social structure (Egyptians and Hebrews for example). Early origins have very little historical evidence however except these writings. Religion seems always to co-exist with how people wanted to govern them selves.

If we look at different societies it is true that ideas and ways of interacting socially were passed on from generation to generation and evolved. However even those groups separated like the North American Indians and Central American Societies seemed to have continued to practice religion. In fact it was perhaps a major player in how they existed or didn’t exsist.

Later in history, the Crusades demonstrated how political shifts of power could be driven by religious beliefs.

hope this contributes somehow Cool
cafefrog
So the family tree of religions is an interesting proposal and also quite simple at the surface, yet complex.

When I first read your question I realized that the answer is much how we learn history going up. In first grade you learn about Columbus and then after that you learn more detail. This cycle of continual learning and complexity is one of the great aspects of learning and intellectual growth.

Back to the original question. I think you would be smart to narrow your question down and after you have sufficiently "mastered" the branch, start to branch below where you started or start a new branch. I.E- Don't tackle the whole thing at once.

For example, protestantism (although I dislike the term) as I think it should be Christianity with religions grouped according to the same God and not divided by minor belief differences. Take protestant division and figure out when the separation came from Catholicism. What event(s), influential people(s), and what date span facilitated this division.

Then from the first division, when did other's happen. Who lead them, what are the differences in thought, and how did the other cultural events at the time affect the happenings.

I believe this would be a great way to accomplish this task. That said, it could easily (and perhaps should be) a multiple volume reference set. Those do exist, obvioulsly. After tackling the protestant divisions (setting a ending date) and defining protestantism you can branch off to other religions/divisions/belief systems.

The key to the project will be defining the terms up front and how you are measuring/grouping religions.
aadler82
This isn't a simple task. There is evidence for religious practice over 100,000 years ago. Do you know how many societies have existed and perished and created and changed beliefs since that time? Many, my friend. I'll tell you the little info I know.

The Enuma Elis is a Babylonian creation myth that is similar to the Genesis creation myth. Creation is linked to speech, and the whole sequence of creation is exactly the same. For example, light first, then the sky ("firmament"), then dry land, the stars and moon (which is a star, but is distinguished from the others in both texts), and lastly, man. Because Enuma Elis is believed to be dated quite earlier than Genesis, the writers of Genesis may have been influenced.

Similarly, in the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is from ancient Mesopotamia (where Babylon later ruled), the gods decide to flood the earth because the inhabitants were noisy and annoying; however, a god favored Gilgamesh, and decided to keep him and his family. He tells Gilgamesh to build a boat. This is very similar to the story of Noah and the Ark as well as Genesis. For example, in the Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh seeks immortality. He obtained the plant which would make him immortal, but he fell asleep and a snake took it. In Genesis, a snake deprives Adam and Eve of their immortality by tricking them to eat the fruit of the forbidden tree. This story also may have influenced the Hebrews in their literature. The Hebrews were situated near the region of Mesopotamia/Babylon, so this is quite possible.

If I think of any more examples I'll edit.
If you want to keep track of influences and such, I suggest typing it, so you can easily add or edit your data. Trying to focus on one geographic region or time period might be good, and you can work your way up or down as you like.
deanhills
Think it can be a challenge to research family trees when one gets to the 18th century and earlier as people were not as literate as they are now. They used to spell their last names as they speak and of course that evolved as well, so the spelling would change subtly. So you may land with a pick of a variation of last names.
ktmallon82
a really good website that has a video for the evolution of religion is found at :

http://www.philosophertv.com/
supernova1987a
I believe almost all the religions have sprouted out during the last 5 thousand years, except the Sanatana Dharma [Eternal Religion], which is said to be full (true) religion. Others are called sub-religions. It existed in its true form before 3000 BC, and changed somewhat to form what-they-call 'Hinduism'. Later on, other religions slowly became abundant. Scientists have tried to date the Sanatana Dharma back to around 2000 BC only, but the texts themselves say that it has existed eternally and that after the start of the Kali Yuga, in or around 3102 BC, many sub-religions would appear on earth and people would forget the true dharma. [Well, the re-establishment of this true religion is also predicted]
So every religions can be rooted to Sanatana Dharma. Just do a little research and you will know.



[One help to your research - During the last glaciation period or the Ice Age, not many places on Earth was good enough for human settlement. Indian Sub-continent was however good to live, maybe partly because of the Himalayas. And there are archaeological evidences that tell good story about this part of the world. After Earth started warming, people started to move Northwards again. I have made a pretty good research for myself on this topic. Wink] Very Happy
gcaughill
A couple of points about original request.

1. You assume religions are all similar when in fact they are not. In terms of a few practices and morality they are simlar, but in beliefs they are radically different. Similar to the apples/oranges analogy it is very hard to compare them intelligently today, let alone attempt a 'family tree'. It cannot be done.

2. In terms of beliefs here are all the main beliefs people have had:

a. Can we know if God exists? People who answer no are agnostics. Everyone else answers yes.
b. Does God exist? People who answer no are atheists. Everyone else answers yes (certain types of western Buddhists might say no.
c. Is God personal? People who answer no are pantheists like most forms of Hinduism and Buddhism.
Everyone else answers yes.
d. Is there 1 God? People who answer no are polytheists. Everyone else answers yes.
e. Is God active in history? People who answer no are deists. Everyone else answers yes.
e. Is Mohammed the last prophet? People who answer yes are Muslims. Everyone else answers no.
f. Is Jesus the Son of God? People who answer no are Jewish or plain theists.
g. Others are some type of Christian


The above is very basic, but it shows how beliefs are very different.
supernova1987a
gcaughill wrote:
A couple of points about original request.

1. You assume religions are all similar when in fact they are not. In terms of a few practices and morality they are simlar, but in beliefs they are radically different. Similar to the apples/oranges analogy it is very hard to compare them intelligently today, let alone attempt a 'family tree'. It cannot be done.

2. In terms of beliefs here are all the main beliefs people have had:

a. Can we know if God exists? People who answer no are agnostics. Everyone else answers yes.
b. Does God exist? People who answer no are atheists. Everyone else answers yes (certain types of western Buddhists might say no.
c. Is God personal? People who answer no are pantheists like most forms of Hinduism and Buddhism.
Everyone else answers yes.
d. Is there 1 God? People who answer no are polytheists. Everyone else answers yes.
e. Is God active in history? People who answer no are deists. Everyone else answers yes.
e. Is Mohammed the last prophet? People who answer yes are Muslims. Everyone else answers no.
f. Is Jesus the Son of God? People who answer no are Jewish or plain theists.
g. Others are some type of Christian


The above is very basic, but it shows how beliefs are very different.


Certain Hindus too believe that Jesus was the Son of God. [And these are true Hindus] Thanks.
Arnie
Where are the people who read properly before posting?

Hint: the third letter of the alphabet is... ?
Hint2: I meant the Latin alphabet.

As for gcaughill's statement, I think you're partially right but we should not forget that some religions, including major ones, share a common history. Some stories in the Bible and Quran are similar.
supernova1987a
Arnie wrote:
.... we should not forget that some religions, including major ones, share a common history. Some stories in the Bible and Quran are similar.


I believe, the Noah's story is in Bible and Quran both, and Dogon people of Mali also have that story. An even older version of Bible was found in 1915 that said Adam of "Adam and Eve" was the same person as Noah. And the same story is more elaborately told in Matsya Purana in Hinduism. I believe after the end of the most recent Ice Age, people started moving northwards in a large number and lost the story. ANd that the story was preserved properly in India, as it was warmer there during the ICe age. In Hinduism Noah is known as Manu and we are his descendants. In most languages, the common name for human beings matches Manu's name: Man(English), Manish (Nepali), Manusya (Sanskrit). Its preserved the same way a surname that comes from a father.
Dogon of Mali says an amphibian fish made Noah build the boat, hindus' history books or the puranas say it was fish-incarnation of god, the Matsya avatar, who had amphibian features who made Manu or Noah build the boat. In hinduism, it happend at the end of the last kali yuga and start of the last satya yuga. And bible also proves the thing that it was really an end of the last kali yuga during Noah's time that it notes people of his time were corrupt, etc.
Arnie
An essential quality of any researcher is the ability to read properly.

Anyway, I didn't know a similar story existed in hinduism. Thanks for sharing.
supernova1987a
Arnie wrote:
Where are the people who read properly before posting?

Hint: the third letter of the alphabet is... ?
Hint2: I meant the Latin alphabet.

As for gcaughill's statement, I think you're partially right but we should not forget that some religions, including major ones, share a common history. Some stories in the Bible and Quran are similar.

I edited the post.
spectrumcoder
I've actually been having a good go at creating a family tree of religions, both out of personal interest in the history of religions and as a coding exercise. It's located here:
http://www.religionstree.com

It's built using Silverlight (Microsoft's version of Flash), so you'll need to install that to access it. It's a pain but it won't have been nearly as good without it.
mshafiq
supernova1987a wrote:
gcaughill wrote:
A couple of points about original request.

1. You assume religions are all similar when in fact they are not. In terms of a few practices and morality they are simlar, but in beliefs they are radically different. Similar to the apples/oranges analogy it is very hard to compare them intelligently today, let alone attempt a 'family tree'. It cannot be done.

2. In terms of beliefs here are all the main beliefs people have had:

a. Can we know if God exists? People who answer no are agnostics. Everyone else answers yes.
b. Does God exist? People who answer no are atheists. Everyone else answers yes (certain types of western Buddhists might say no.
c. Is God personal? People who answer no are pantheists like most forms of Hinduism and Buddhism.
Everyone else answers yes.
d. Is there 1 God? People who answer no are polytheists. Everyone else answers yes.
e. Is God active in history? People who answer no are deists. Everyone else answers yes.
e. Is Mohammed the last prophet? People who answer yes are Muslims. Everyone else answers no.
f. Is Jesus the Son of God? People who answer no are Jewish or plain theists.
g. Others are some type of Christian


The above is very basic, but it shows how beliefs are very different.


Certain Hindus too believe that Jesus was the Son of God. [And these are true Hindus] Thanks.


I really wonder if Hindu believe in it.
Any reference to it will be appreciated.

-- Thanks
zacky
eggg wrote:
You'll never be able to construct a family-tree style timeline, because religions just didn't develop in that straight of a line. Influences went back and forth over centuries, things changed and re-changed, etc... It would be a lot like the family-tree of a family who's been engaged in incest for many many generations.

But if you'd like to start somewhere, Sumer might be a good place to look.


yeah i agree.. it is very hard to determined it.. especially people around the globe has they're own beliefs and religion which very hard to determined how it was began or what.. coz there's a lot of things you need to considered.. for example if you really want to know, then are you going to use the method is scientific version or your going through the bible if you believed to god.. or if your religion is Muslim, or Buddhism...
Asafe
You cannot really prove God, you have to feel him. As far as I know, salvation is a matter of faith.
epspk
The answer is simple. Any religion is created by man. There is no family tree for it. You can start by making your own religion, create your own bible whatsoever, start a cult or something. Faith is for those who believe in a specific religion. As for me, I believe in spirituality.
deanhills
epspk wrote:
The answer is simple. Any religion is created by man. There is no family tree for it. You can start by making your own religion, create your own bible whatsoever, start a cult or something. Faith is for those who believe in a specific religion. As for me, I believe in spirituality.
If you say you believe in spirituality, what does that mean, and how is it different from having faith in a religion? If you have faith in spirituality, surely that has a lot in common with faith in religion?
baboosaa
Almost all people associate religion with the existence of God .But they fail to acknowledge that RELIGION and GOD are two different things.
Religion is mainly associated with rituals - from birth to death.Religion may sometimes give clue about God but not always. So called Priest and Churches prevent people from reaching God. If you can recite whole Bible then does that mean you have found God? No!

It is clearly written in Bible that those who are at first in Earth will be at last and those who are at last on Earth will be at first in the kingdom of god.

Now , look at the reality -- when the disciples of Jesus knew that Jesus was dying then , disciples asked-- who will be next to you?

And we are taught by the very disciples and disciples of that disciples.

Actually religion was all invent( not discovered) just to keep society in order by using simple fear and instinct that human had , by so called priest and churches .

So evolution of Religion can be traced back to evolution of human society when law and order were felt very necessary.


Where as of God we cant find him in any holy book . we have to find within us . We have to discover the God not Invent him.

The so called religious people worship second hand God with second hand faith.
Related topics
Who All Believes In Evolution?
Give me a HOLLA if you are a fervent agnostic!
Evolution, the religion
How Seriously Do You Take Your Belief System?
Original purpose of religions.
Free thought
Intelligent Design - Science or Religion?
The God Dellusion - Richard Dawkins
Vatican and Anglican Church embrace evolution?
why religion is necessary? what do u think?
New sections added in ‘Philosophy of life and other essays&q
Religious Intolerance at Frihost
Coming out and the people that come with it
Extended essay - Religion and reason.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> History

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.