FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Great Expectations

Holy
Anyone read this book by Charles Dickens before? I'm just about to be reading it (again) in school. Did anyone else have to read this in school?
RoughitforGreen247
It's a fair book. I would say a bit less formal than the usual Dickens style, but an enjoyable read whether you've liked his other works or not. In my opinion, the charm and style of the book diminishes as the novel progresses, but that is just my thoughts. Happy reading - Roughit
starfish2007
yes I have read it in college english awile ago and if you would like to have a coppy you can read it on the following site:
http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/19/37/frameset.html
they have the hole book you can read online

hope this is helpfull
TurtleShell
I've read it twice for school. Interestingly, the first time I read it (freshman yr highschool), I hated it so much I could barely get through the book, the second time I read it (sophomore yr college), I loved it and Dickens became one of my favorite authors. I think you have to go into it with the right attitude, but also reading it for the wrong class, or for a bad teacher, can really sour the experience.
sondosia
I read it a few years ago in 8th grade. Although I didn't like it much, it was probably my favorite out of all the numerous Dickens books we've read.

But I guess that's not saying much, since I hate Dickens. Very Happy
evanc88
I'm not a Dickens fan, but this one wasn't too bad. And the movies that have been made are good, too. Ethan Hawke did a great job.
TurtleShell
evanc88 wrote:
I'm not a Dickens fan, but this one wasn't too bad. And the movies that have been made are good, too. Ethan Hawke did a great job.

I enjoyed that (movie) too! I still watch it from time to time. It's cinematically very pretty. But I also think that they made the characters Pip and Stella more sympathetic in the movie. Pip of the book was difficult to love the first time I read it (actually, difficult not to loath is more like it), and Stella's very geniunely screwed up and hard of heart.

In the movie this is a little less pronounced in both. Stella seems to have something of a conscience, Pip (named Finn) manages not to grow up to be an irresponsible adult who thinks of nothing but himself. These are two fairly pronounced differences from the book. My favorite part of the movie, actually, is the point in the middle when Pip(finn) has given up on art entirely and has accepted his lot in life. He seems at least fairly happy with this, and that kind of endears him to me. It's a somewhat responsible and mature perspective, which Pip(of the book) never really had.

Eventually I did learn to like Pip(of the book), but he is amazingly flawed. That makes him more realistic than I'm comfortable with.
Kasts
I haven`t read this book, but i have heard some positive annotations. Thats why `someday, maybe` I will read it.
eku53ru
I remember reading an excerpt from this book in the eighth grade for a project--I forgot what part (I think the part when Miss Havisham was introduced?), but I had to draw a possible design for the wedding dress she lived in. I tried reading the book shortly after, but lost interest until the ninth grade. I ended up reading it for my honors English class in my freshman year of high school, and I thought it was all right. I loved the irony involving Pip's benefactor. XD