FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Console Gaming - Old Systems vs. New Systems

What Do You Think Is Better For Console Gaming
Newer Systems - Graphics are Everything!
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Older Systems - Bring Back the Storylines and Gameplay!
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Ancient Systems - 4 Colors is All I Need!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pong - Simply the Best!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

TruPain
ok, first off, I have to say that I have been playing gme for many many years... since 1979 to be exact... And while games are overall better than they were back then, the game today is what I have the biggest problem with...

I think that the newer systems are mostly about graphics or eye candy as they say... and this takes away from the gameplay and story line "most" times...

What ever happened to the games that used to take 100+ hours to complete?

Now we seem to be left with the games that have graphics that look almost life-like... but the game is over in less than 20 hours...

Or god forbid I mention "The Bouncer" by Square/Enix that even if you sucked at the game, it was over in 30 minutes or less... but hey... look at those graphics...

I seriously would like to see games go back to the older systems, basically the time of the NES, SNES, SMS, TurboDuo, and the Genesis... graphics were decent, but the development teams spent more time on the storyline and gameplay than they did with the graphics... and I found these games to be much more fun...

So what do you think?
azbuky
I am not a console gamer but a PC gamer. But the thing is the same. All games have wonderful graphics but they lack game play. For example I am a huge fan of the Heroes of Might and Magic series, and in my opinion Heroes III is the best Turn Based Strategy Game ever. But when Heroes V apeared with 3D graphics and all, much of the magic of the game was gone.

Long live old but real games! Smile
bigdan
Newer consoles have great graphics, while the older consoles have games with fricken fantastic playability. I honestly couldn't split them on that regard, what one lacks in an area, it slaughters the other in another area. Very Happy
urbvan
I refuse to be made to choose a single option in this poll that excludes the others. Each generation of video consoles have introduced new boontoggles to gaming, and gameplay is not exclusive to any single generation. The definition of what makes good gameplay has expanded in recent times to take advantage of new technology, but there will always be room for simplicity in gaming.

Great graphics can't disguise a lame game. Great gameplay doesn't necessarily need great graphics - how many quarters have you blown on pong and Gauntlet, all you oldbies out there?
web-geek
im an old console type person =D but there are some great games that have came out and are just as exciting as well. they all have their pros and cons like the dialog (those old games where pretty iffy 0.o), graphics, gameplay. but all in all it pretty much depends on the game and how it was put togeather. there is alot of remakes and old ideas made new that the industry has to get through but soon there will bee some originol stuff comming out... (i think hideo kojima is on the right track =D)
bigbadjohn
As mentioned before the graphics in games today are amazing but the gameplay is so repetitive every game you see, seems to be a variant on a first person shooter.

This gets tedious very quickly once you get past the eye candy.

With all this new technology it would seem that it is now possible to make games that are fully interactive and immerse the player in the actual outcome of the game.

Apparently Peter Jackson is working on a few game ideas, should be interesting.

It definitely seems one route to go down in order to get away from the stagnant first person shooter up genre.

I also remember older gaming systems, even the Spectrum ZX comp which gave us great games like Tir Na Nog, Manic Miner, and my two favourite Bear Bovver and Pogo, simple games with great gameplay.

There is a clever program out there called Spectaculator which allows you to see walkthroughs of old spectrum games you get a real sense of gameplay with these games and programmers who had to think hard to make games special due to the limitations on the visual side.

One game that seemed to try something new was the Indigo Prophecy I hope this is the direction some games will take on the new generation consoles and not be a one off lost in the mire of shootem ups and rpgs.
twinimage
TruPain wrote:
ok, first off, I have to say that I have been playing gme for many many years... since 1979 to be exact... And while games are overall better than they were back then, the game today is what I have the biggest problem with...

I think that the newer systems are mostly about graphics or eye candy as they say... and this takes away from the gameplay and story line "most" times...

What ever happened to the games that used to take 100+ hours to complete?

Now we seem to be left with the games that have graphics that look almost life-like... but the game is over in less than 20 hours...

Or god forbid I mention "The Bouncer" by Square/Enix that even if you sucked at the game, it was over in 30 minutes or less... but hey... look at those graphics...

I seriously would like to see games go back to the older systems, basically the time of the NES, SNES, SMS, TurboDuo, and the Genesis... graphics were decent, but the development teams spent more time on the storyline and gameplay than they did with the graphics... and I found these games to be much more fun...

So what do you think?

I agree, plus most games are either grand theft auto, final fantasyXXXXVIII, or another Madden football.
Where's the variety? I love the old Super Nintendo. Even though most of them were all platformers. I think that Super Mario World is probably one of the best games EVER! Some may not agree, but I don't want to argue, so please don't reply flaming me for my opinion. Mario's the main reason why video games are so popular. If I had a choice, I'd probaly pick the old systems, even with the bad graphics, provided that the cartridges are clean and work instead of looking stupid while blowing into them for four hours. Those who have a NES or SNES know what I'm talkin' about. =)
Agent ME
Newer games - but not because of graphics - there's online, multiplayer, and stories. Sure, older games had stories too, but often mostly unconnected to the game, just a little blurb in the game's manual that wasn't supported at all by the gameplay and no real ending.
LostOverThere
Well, I used to think older consoles, (I dont care for graphics at all), but the Wii is incredibly innovative, and lets face it, the graphics aren't awesome, the games on it are made for game play man! Smile
Arnie
The PSX had quite nice graphics and still good gameplay.
medievalman26
urbvan wrote:
I refuse to be made to choose a single option in this poll that excludes the others. Each generation of video consoles have introduced new boontoggles to gaming, and gameplay is not exclusive to any single generation. The definition of what makes good gameplay has expanded in recent times to take advantage of new technology, but there will always be room for simplicity in gaming.

Great graphics can't disguise a lame game. Great gameplay doesn't necessarily need great graphics - how many quarters have you blown on pong and Gauntlet, all you oldbies out there?

I agree with you(urbvan) I mean the graphics today are amazing but the majority of th games take so long to make because of that, they have no time to work on the story. Hey I am not that old so I have no idea what you are talking about with that crack about Gauntlet.

Agent ME wrote:
Newer games - but not because of graphics - there's online, multiplayer, and stories. Sure, older games had stories too, but often mostly unconnected to the game, just a little blurb in the game's manual that wasn't supported at all by the gameplay and no real ending.

You are wrong about the older games Agent ME. Most of the older games had great stories not just a little blurb in the manual.(Who reads those anyway...Oh crap I read those) Some of the older games did have it but the majority of them had a storyline.

If only they could combine the stories of the older games with the awesomeness of today's graphics. Eh. I can dream can't I?