FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Connect DSL Modem to a DSL Router

sunjay
Hi,

I used to have 512k/128k broadband modem using the Netcomm NB1300+4 modem that has also got a 4 port router/switch.

I recently upgraded my connection to a 20mbits connection and have to use this new modem that my provider has sent me. It is a Siemens SpeedStream 4200.

Problem with the new modem is that it only can connect to one computer at a time. I've got 3 computers at home and all need internet.

I wonder if anyone knows how to connect the Siemens modem to the Netcomm DSL Router so that I get the 20mbit internet shared with all 3 computers.

anybody got any ideas? thanks.

James
p.s I've tried techsupport from my provider and they couldn't really help. Tech support of Netcomm is only available 9am-5pm.
djclue917
According to this: http://whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=h_view&model_id=278

...Siemens SpeedStream 4200 is an ADSL Bridge/Router. In short, you don't need a separate router.

This is what you have to do:

1. Configure the ADSL connection (i.e., input the username/password for your connection if any) in your bridge/router and make sure that the device is in router mode.
- router mode means that it will act like a router instead of a bridge that only bridges ppp0 -> eth0. In router mode, the router establishes the ADSL connection. In simple terms, the device will act like a "standalone internet-connected device".
2. Make sure that NAT is enabled. This is useful when you want to share the connection from the router.
3. Configure port forwarding where it is necessary. If you use P2P networks like BitTorrent, Gnutella/2, you may need to do this. If not, you may just leave it alone.

This will be the setup (star topology):

|----------------(eth2) <-----> (eth0) Computer 2
|--------------- (eth3) < ----> (eth0) Computer 3
sunjay
hi,

No, the Siemen modem is just a modem that can only have one ethernet port and can only connect to one computer at a time. The Netcomm has four 4 ethernet ports and so can connect 4 computers to it at a time.

What I want to achieve is: Connect the Siemen to the internet ----> Siemen is connected to the Netcomm ----> Other computers connect through the Netcomm.

James
p.s thanks for that whirlpool site, it is very useful
knullbar
sunjay wrote:
hi,

No, the Siemen modem is just a modem that can only have one ethernet port and can only connect to one computer at a time. The Netcomm has four 4 ethernet ports and so can connect 4 computers to it at a time.

What I want to achieve is: Connect the Siemen to the internet ----> Siemen is connected to the Netcomm ----> Other computers connect through the Netcomm.

James

Make sure you connected it like the pictures on the following site :hxxp://tekniken.se/dsl/doc/adsl23se.html; change hxxp to http. You wont perhaps udnestand what it say but one image say more then thousands words. =)

you cant also visit www.portforward.com for futher help with forwarding router/fw ports.
IceCreamTruck
I too feel the need to save money where ever I can, but how come everyone is forgetting that 50 dollars at any walmart, compusa, or bestbuy will solve this issue quite nicely, and it will open this poor fellow up to the wonderful world of wireless?

The short version: Treat yourself to a linksys wireless G router, and have a blast. About $50 at walmart, bestbuy, or compusa.

This will allow to to connect up to 8 computers via wire, or 32 (not quite sure the total number) via wireless. I actually like my linksys better than most computers I've owned as it has effectively out-lived every other computer I've owned, and it's still going strong. It's a good investment as it will allow you to continually connect more than one computer to any broadband connection that you may have. They also make great lan party (gaming networks) systems.

Just wanted to share my linksys joy with the world!!!
hack_man_
Um, an Ethernet port on both the SpeedStream and the Netcomm? Simply plug the two into each other and set up the Netcomm to use the modem as it's default gateway...
knullbar
IceCreamTruck wrote:
They also make great lan party (gaming networks) systems.

Wireless aren't good at all when it comes to FPS games, which everyone play at LAN due to the high choke/loss.
Anyway if you follow the image at website I posted on my previous post you'll fix it.
djclue917
sunjay wrote:
hi,

James

That's what I actually said. (Take another look ^)
Also, you can't connect four computers to a 4-port switch if you want to connect the bridge/router (yes, like I said, Siemens SpeedStream 4200 is an ADSL Bridge/Router). That is because three of the ports will be used by three computers while the remaining one must be connected to the router's ethernet port.
wlfgngct
I have to agree, the SpeedStream 4200 is a bridgeable modem/router. Go into the modems config, set it to bridged mode, then plug in yr router. Off you go.
DecayClan
Just get a 5-port switch, connect the modem/router to the uplink, set its ip as Default gateway to the computers, and you are done! It actually is that simple...

I don't understand why you can't do that(as other members said)...
You can get a 5-port switch for just 18Euros(or less)...
The only part that might prove tricky, is the wiring... But that is all...

Good luck!