FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what to do with our other computer

Bump_on_a_Log08
here's the thing. My family has an older computer just sitting around because the harddrive that Windows was installed on "died." And the newer computer I'm using right now is using Windows XP Media Center Edition. Well, anyways, I was wondering if there is a way that I can install windows on the good harddrive from our old computer without having to buy a new copy of Windows for it. The only reason I would like to use the other computer still is mainly for multiplayer gaming between my brother and I. Also I wouldnt mind getting experience setting up a home network.

Ive already thought of a few things that may help or hinder my attempts:

1) The newer computer is an Compaq/HP and it comes with a pre-partitioned harddrive that contains everything for restoring Windows XP on it.

2) The older computer is quite old, and probably runs somewhere around half as fast as this one, and it uses older-style harddrives, which means it probably wouldnt be compatible with this computer's harddrive. And the old harddrive is only 20Gb.

3) Third and probably the most irrelevant is that the new computer did not also come with a recovery CD or other disk.

4) We do have the old Windows XP Home Edition restore CD for the old computer

Well any ideas would be much appreciated. If you need any extra info about our computers' stats, just let me know.
djclue917
Bump_on_a_Log08 wrote:
Well, anyways, I was wondering if there is a way that I can install windows on the good harddrive from our old computer without having to buy a new copy of Windows for it.

If you own a legal copy, then you most probably can do that provided that you install the copy in only one computer at a particular time.

Quote:
2) The older computer is quite old, and probably runs somewhere around half as fast as this one, and it uses older-style harddrives, which means it probably wouldnt be compatible with this computer's harddrive. And the old harddrive is only 20Gb.

How old is the "old" computer anyway? Well, you have to consult your motherboard manual to find out the max hard disk space that the mobo supports. If the old computer is something like 5-6 years old, most probably it can handle up to 80GB hard disks. I'm not sure about this because your mobo might be really old.
Bump_on_a_Log08
as far as the hard drive goes, I mean its a different type of hard drive. The older one is thicker and use a different type of cable. I think the motherboard is from something around 1998 to 2000. Right now I'm at school and I'm downloading Ubuntu Linux, I think I will try to use that, unless my friend can get me a copy of Solaris before I get Ubuntu downloaded.
KHO
Simple enough, you want to install windows onto a working HDD on the old machine, right?

Well heres what you do, if the HDD (hard drive disk) is dead, just pop it out, take that down to your local computer store and pick up a new one, it may not be much for gamming if it is slow and old, but hell it will work.

The recovery disk will work on the old machine even after you replace the HDD, and that recovery disk is good for as many machines as it works on my friend, only problem is it will only work on machines of that model. EX: I have an acer aspire 5000, my recovery disks work on any acer aspire 5000 and because they all came with this same windows installed, its legit.
pluto
Quote:
Right now I'm at school and I'm downloading Ubuntu Linux, I think I will try to use that,

I think this is a good choice, especially if you don't have a lot of Linux experience. I stumbled onto Ubuntu in a similar way; I had an old computer, but only 1 copy of Windows, and the copy was being used on my new computer.

Since trying Ubuntu a few years ago, I now have Ubuntu installed exclusively on the older machine, and as a dual boot with XP on the newer machine.

Another neat thing I really like about Ubuntu is the support. Ubuntu has a strong community that is extremely helpful for new users.

Best of luck! Very Happy
asianwannabe999
Use the old computer as a server using windows nt or ubuntu or suse linux. You don't need that much horsepower for a low-use server for personal uses.
Bump_on_a_Log08
well, at school they decided to limit the connection speed of our computers, so i think im just going to get a Linux magazine and get the free copy of ubuntu out of it because it will just take too long to down load. Our download speed had been around something like 130Kb/sec. and now it hovers from around 20Kb/sec. to about 95Kb/sec. Yeah, so I'm just going to go to Barnes & Noble and pick up a Linux magazine like I already said.