FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is index.html different from public_html.html

syntax101
Is index.html different from public_html.html? index.html is the root when u create your webpage like in my geocities www.geocities.com/hvillacruz/index.html how about the public_html, what is it for is that another root for a webapge?
badai
usually when people say public_html, it refer to a directory in user's home directory.

see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/public_html.html to read about it.

if you create a file name public_html.html, it will be just like any other html, except that it won't be the default page to display for the directory, unless you set it in you .htaccess file (DirectoryIndex)
shamil
syntax101 wrote:
Is index.html different from public_html.html? index.html is the root when u create your webpage like in my geocities www.geocities.com/hvillacruz/index.html how about the public_html, what is it for is that another root for a webapge?
As badai said it is up to you choose which file name to be index. public_html.html is ordinary html file unless you specify other.
ChrisCh
shamil wrote:
As badai said it is up to you choose which file name to be index. public_html.html is ordinary html file unless you specify other.

Keep in mind that the default is actually index(.htm, .html or .php) rather than public_html.html . You can change the default to public_html.html using .htaccess if you must. I'm sure you can find out how to do this by doing a simple search Smile
chris20
Don't forget about default.php/html/etc That's the one I usually use, I like it better than index. I guess it's preference.