FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lowering the age limit for Drivering

Guelila
Hey,
I was thinking and it came to my mind that I think it will be ok if the governments lower the age restriction for Driving.

Why?

well because I think most of us teens have driven a Go-Kart or some kind of vehicle.
Even when we go to play golf, Im sure most of have have driven the golf cart (which some of them are pretty fast).
And we (in general) know more about cars and traffic rules than what people used to know long ago..

I understand that a real car is much different from the vehicles that I talked about, but still.

Am I the only one who thinks this? Confused
pampoon
The limit on age was not made only because of experience, it was made also because of maturity level. I have no knowledge of other countries, but in the US most states have an age restriction of 16.

If we lower it any, it'll be 15. Quite frankly, If I had been given my license at 15, there would be a few more accidents in the records.

Most 15 year olds just aren't mature enough to handle that kind of responsibility.

But this is just my opinion.

God bless,
Pampoon
Macko112
First of all, the age limit for driving isn't decided by the government but rather on a state level. So I don't know what the age requirement is where you live, but it is 16 here in Texas.

I completely agree with pampoon. It is not a matter of being able to step on a petal and turn a wheel. With age comes knowledge and maturity. You learn what you need to do in certain situations and proper techniques and what not. At age 14 or 15, I don't believe kids are able to learn/abide by all the rules of driving. Sixteen is a good age to start.
Duncan Idaho
Guelila wrote:
Hey,
I was thinking and it came to my mind that I think it will be ok if the governments lower the age restriction for Driving.

Why?

well because I think most of us teens have driven a Go-Kart or some kind of vehicle.
Even when we go to play golf, Im sure most of have have driven the golf cart (which some of them are pretty fast).
And we (in general) know more about cars and traffic rules than what people used to know long ago..

I understand that a real car is much different from the vehicles that I talked about, but still.

First; learn to spell, then we'll go to the next step in life. Wink
mschnell
Duncan Idaho wrote:
Guelila wrote:
Hey,

Why?

First; learn to spell, then we'll go to the next step in life. Wink

Hey, spelling isn't as easy as it looks. I'm 21 and I still can't spell. If I had waited to move on in life until after I'd learned how to spell I would have gotten nowhere.

As far as the topic on hand, I have to agree with the people who have spoken before me. Sixteen is even pretty young to gain the privilege of driving. Here in the states they give licenses to anyone who can see and cares enough to spend a few hours studying for a drivers test. That's easy enough if you ask me.
spazbutt32
There are some 35-year old drivers who should never have gotten a license in the first place.

It's really hard to accurately judge anyone's driving ability; people always act their best when the cops are around, similarly they could be a crap driver and pass their test with full marks.

Either way, the age limit should be RAISED to 20, if anything, mostly because by then there's a bit more safety in it..
Seiji
The age limit should be raised. I'm in Drivers Ed right now and all they show us is pictures of the teens who speed and what happen to them. That makes me not want to drive. I think were too irresponsible to drive. Some of the people who go out with on the range only care about going fast. Guess they never took the thought that speeding is dangerous.
Jaan
15 is too immature to drive a car.

In most European countries they don't care if you drive a scooter around when you're 14-15. Scooters are way too cool.
DandDer
in canada the age to drive on your own is 16, i think thats a resonable age in my opinion
bigdan
They won't be lowering the age anytime soon here in New South Wales, thanks to the hoons managing to crash their hotted-up POS's. Sad If anything, they'll up the age. Sad Sad

16 is a fair enough age to start supervised driving.
rekluzz
If they were to lower the age restriction, then the insurance rates would be set so high for new drivers that no young drivers would be able to afford the premiums.
darrenpaul
Our current driving age is 18, in my personal opinion I think it should be 21 at least! You are taken peoples lives into your hands behind a wheel. It shouldn't be treated like a fashion accessory, like it is now.
David_Pardy
Raising the age is a stupid idea.

I learned to drive when I was 16. I'm 22 now, haven't had an accident and I do around 50,000km every year.

Actually I did have one very minor accident involving a gutter which I could have prevented if I wasn't so tired. That can happen to anyone.

Plenty of my family members have been driving since they could reach the pedals (around 12-ish) and they are all very good drivers.

Stop ignoring the huge existance of crappy, idiotic drivers older than 20. The only reason young drivers get a bad name is because of the media.

Also, I will admit... Young drivers around where I live have gotten worse since I was a learner, but gee... That couldn't possibly be because of the downfall of society as a whole, could it?
Nameless
IMHO the age should be raised to 18. I don't any age below that is generally mature enough, and many people still aren't mature enough at that point. Ideally there should be some sort of maturity test to decide these things, but obviously such a test would be unfeasible. Confused

And if you can't spell driving, you probably shouldn't be. Razz
squirrelmaster
I am not sure as whether it should be raised or lowered because there are mature 14 yr olds(though they are rare), and there are 25 yr olds that act like they are 12!, personally i think 18 is good for me.

But really the question is of the standards of the country, I think the US is probably one of the easiest places to get a license, there should be ALOT of more teaching time and student driving time. If there was a maturity evaluation part of getting your liscense then age really wouldn't matter, it is just hard to get a true result because some people would do anything to finally drive Rolling Eyes

and about the gocarts, i never drove anything until the drivers ed car so not everyone has those kinds of experiences.
TheGustav
I agree with the others that 16 is a reasonable age for a drivers license...

I know kids who are 16 and are still way too immature to be driving... Notely the people who screw around in our high school parking lot, but the majority is fine....

Though there will always be people who don't quite know how to drive. Smile If anyone's familiar with roundabouts, some lady probably in her 30's was going the wrong way in it and ended up staring at me hood to hood...

Luckily my exit was right there.
Vrythramax
In my opinion, I don't think it should be lowered, I have some bad times with inexperienced 16 or 17 year drivers that just were not paying attention. Now this is not indicative of youths as a whole, just the few who have almost caused accidents with me.

In my state you can drive at 16, but only as long as you remain in school, if you quit school before your 18th birthday....you lose you right to drive till after you turn 18.
pampoon
Ha, I was reading nameless's post and I couldn't resist to laugh Smile

I have never heard of that kind of rule in Max's state. I think it's a good idea though. It encourages kids to keep with the education.

I don't think the age limit should be raised any. I know that when I was 16 I couldn't wait to get my license and if I would have had to wait until I was 21 I still wouldn't have one until next year!

I do stand against the age being dropped any. Again, kids are too immature these days. If anything, I say we keep the age and just make the testing for driving ability to be advanced.

D-R-I-V-I-N-G

Laughing Laughing

(These are just my opinions)

God bless,
Pampoon
Agent ME
I'm 15 and reason I'm probably mature enough to drive, but looking at other people my age, most I'd rather walk 10 miles than ride in a car they're driving Rolling Eyes I figure it's better to stay safer with the age limits they have - they're not too outrageous.
pll
I think there is already a thread on this subject : http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-65040.html
Srs2388
I think the age is okay where it is because if you had people that young driving it would make it unsafe for others. Not all people would be driving crazy but a a lot of the younger people wouldn't be mature enough to have that responsibility.
glenn83e
DandDer wrote:
in canada the age to drive on your own is 16, i think thats a resonable age in my opinion

as a fellow Canadadian I agree with you, that is the age that most people are in high school. Anything lower than that and you are just asking for an accident.
Milky.
Indeed it's pointless to lower it, it will just cause more accidents.
If you're not 16 yet, ride with bike or whatever, you defently don't need a car yet.

And there are also some kind of 'mini motocycles' you can drive with, so it's ok.
jongoldsz
Guelila wrote:
Hey,

Why?

The government is raising the driving age, since some teens are irresponsible when it comes to driving. A golf cart isn't really driving fast. You can not compare a vehicle that can go as fast as 25 mph to a vehicle that can go over 160 mph, it just doesn't work. And besides that, knowing more about driving rules doesn't help especially when you see how many traffic accidents are caused by teens. By lowering the driving limit the number of accidents will only increase.
Macko112
I'm 16 and male. I'm smart and a better driver than most other teenagers and probably some adults. It is not fair that (in Texas at least) teenage male drivers have a much higher insurance rate than anyone else. We all know women can't drive. Besides, my family is having to pay money because other people my age are idiots and drive recklessly. It's so unfair, insurance rates need to be based on something else.
codelyokogirl
It might be a good idea but they should also still have kids under 18 to take drivers class ( I'm not talking about the test at the DMV) like that they know they can drive and they have the knowledge.I myself plan on taking driver class only because i like to learn. I have driven a go kart as well once. In every state it is different so they would have to change every state or just have each state lower it and re-write the law but that would be a lot of work and some of the state workers are lazy when it comes to re-writing the laws they help enforce and create ( If there were lucky enough to have a say in it ).
Soulfire
I think that it is perfectly fine the way it is. Why should we try to fix something that isn't broken?
MYP415
most places are raising the age not lowering it and they have good reason for this. The likelyhood of 16 or 17 year olds to get into accidents is way higher than that for 20 or 21 yr olds.
Mannix
Guelila wrote:
Hey,

Why?

This quote kind of emphasizes why you don't have a driver's license yet. A car can kill people and kill you if you don't use it right. It's not a toy. A go-kart is a toy. ...There is a difference.

But then, lemme tell you, there are alot of people over 16 that shouldn't have a license. ...And then there's all the other age groups. Driving a car is a huge responsibility, and for some strange reason, in our culture, the magnitude of this situation seems lost on most. ...It really is a shame!
seinteligente
In Spain they already made it!

Now you need 16 years to have a drive license, the requirment is to have the car as in the school with double commands and on your right to be an adult with more than 3 years with the drive license Wink
Andrew426
Here you can start driving at 15, and thats way too young. Although most of the problems occour when 14-15 year olds drive un-lisenced I still think it should be raised to 16 or 17.
master12
Lower the age restriction? Most 15 year olds are either too immature or can't even see over the wheel...

Keep it around 16, otherwise the death toll for driving will go up even higher
zichlone
I agree with 16 being the legal driving age

next time you walk through your school (if your in high school) look at all the 15 year olds and picture them doing the same shit going 70 down the freeway scary huh?

i mean we already have enough accidents caused by 16 year olds no need to add on to that statistic
seagullspirit
If they lower a bit more the driving limit I guess they should also create a special lane for teenager who got their license earlier cause I bet taht will be full of car wrecks all day long.

if it comes down to age limitations they should probably set an upper limit also since there are so many old ppl that clutter the freeways.
Heart Ticket
Guelila wrote:
Hey,

Why?

The age limit isnt about experiance its about well maturity, most teens today are too immature to drive (plus there would be so much more road accidents/pollution)

James
guissmo
Maturity can't be measured by units of measure.
Age can.

So that's why our imperfect world is using age. Wink

A lot assume that >16y/o people are mature. Which is true. But not all.
Give or take some small part of that isn't mature enough.

But some <16y/o can be mature too.

So, we can't be sure of who can drive "well" as it's not directly "measurable".
m00tmuffin
I think driving is an even more riskier thing in the wrong hands then cigarettes or alcohol are (if you're of legal age to buy either, that is) and that it'd be laughable to even consider lowering the age further. Driving a go-kart or whatever is really nothing like driving an actual car on a highway, and I don't completely agree with the idea that teenagers have a better awareness of traffic laws and whatnot. I guess I base my feelings around the idea that smoking a cigarette or just having a drink (doing the actions in and of themselves, rather) could not easily lead someone to kill another person, but it is so amazingly easy to be offguard for a second and end up killing someone else or yourself in a car. Like those before me, I really just don't believe that anyone under the age of sixteen is mature enough to handle all of the responsibilities of driving.
ItsWesley
Personally I don't think the driving age should be reduced, mainly for the fact that will piss me off. The driving age here is alright at 17, and as long as they keep the tests to make sure that you can drive, then it should be alright. Over here it isnt so easy to just get in a car and pass your test, so most people have to learn how to drive by having lessons.
starfish2007
I am from ontario, canada and its 16 here and Ihave to agree with thepeople that don't think it show be lower then 16 i think 16 is ok but any younger would not work for most people.