FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any good software for "speeding" up your comp?

highlordadmin
As the topic name said, is there any good software for speeding up your computer?
Whit that i mean like programs that cleans up things so it will go faster, and software that just makes your comp work faster (I dont know what that should be realy...) and things like that. I read a few topics, but i dident see anything there that looked good...
jay84h
There are many programs available in which you can speed up your computer, such as history cleaners, memory optimizers and so forth. I use Advanced System Optimizer which is pretty good. It includes everything to speed up a system and clean up stuff, such as memory optimizer, cache cleaner, history cleaner, registry cleaner, registry optimizer, etc. There are others available that includes all aspects to clean up a PC and speed it up.
Indyan
If you have a old computer, these should help you (they helped me when I was using a P3). But they wont really give noticable improvements on faster systems.
i) Cacheman XP
ii) Hare ( http://www.dachshundsoftware.com/hare/index.html )
iii) A regsitry cleaner and compresser (I use Tuneup Utilities).
iv) Defragmenting software that defrags metadata and system files. I use Perfect Disk.
varun_dodla
A software that makes a system is only a myth I can say. There are loads of softwares available on the net that boast of making ur pc run faster but thats not true. A software can at the max seem to make the pc faster by clearing ur cahes, temp files, cleaning ur registry etc., but that again a temporary thing.....u will have to redo it regularly. If you need something like that then Tuneup Utilities is a good one but if you want a faster pc I would say "Upgrade" and nothing else.
Indyan
varun_dodla wrote:
A software that makes a system is only a myth I can say. There are loads of softwares available on the net that boast of making ur pc run faster but thats not true. A software can at the max seem to make the pc faster by clearing ur cahes, temp files, cleaning ur registry etc., but that again a temporary thing.....u will have to redo it regularly. If you need something like that then Tuneup Utilities is a good one but if you want a faster pc I would say "Upgrade" and nothing else.

I can vouch that Hare and cacheman xp had increased the responsiveness in my old P3 machine. I know cachemen did it my manipulating the page file, but dont have a clue as to what Hare had done.
But, it did work.
Shake
I wouldn't try "software" for "speeding up" your computer. Most of that stuff out there is bogus adware or just plain useless.
Since you are having these problems I assume you run Windows. If you do in fact run Windows, I suggest you simply clean up your computer. Eliminate logs and traces that clog up your system every week/month, or better yet, disable logging features that you do not need. On a Windows machine, vast quantities of data amount to slower processing times. It is necessary, if you run Windows, to defragment your hard drives(s) every couple of months as well. This should speed up your computing by a not-so-significant amount (for most people), but if you are a poweruser, you will probably want to do it.
Whong
Registry Mechanic should help at least a bit! I think it is quite good! Wink
costelino
ADVANCED SYSTEM OPTIMIZER try this program .... works fine for me
emem
I recommend cleaning your computer up and defragmating, no additional programs. Maybe you could use some programs to tune your windows a bit, but there is a golden rule in windows: Never install unnecessary or unknown programs, because they will all slow your computer down.
orcaz
I recommend you clear up your startup programs, removing unnecessary startup programs and uninstalling programs you don't need. Then after that, do a defragmentation and your comp should run faster than before. Also, you can choose programs that use less memory.
EanofAthenasPrime
RamBooster gave me a 10-20% increase in speed, since your probably asking about gaming...also setting compatibility mode to different versions of windows can give a HUGE speed increase in some games...also use msconfig to disable startup aps and background services, this can free a lot of CPU but make sure you know what background services you deactivate, some are critical.
bulek
I use a combination of TuneUp Utilities 2007, Ccleaner and Rambooster. They are all very good and effective programs for speeding up computers. System mechanics and advanced system optimizer are too trashy for me.
{name here}
1. Defragement once a month, especially when you do a lot of activity like downloading large files.
2. Clear your caches. Sometimes it's optimal (such as on web browsers) to turn it off if you hate retrieving old things.
3. Use NoScript. Not adblock, but NoScript. That extension blocks everything that isn't trusted, and so you can build up a whitelist and a blacklist. It makes your life much easier since there is little chance of ads going through.
4. Some ads might require adblock to be installed as well as well, but this is rare AFAIK, and they've been known to interfere with eachother.
5. Don't download anything you don't trust, especially from shady upload sites like rapidshare and upload.com. Definately do NOT trust shareware or sites that link to shareware no matter the circumstances.
6. 3 and 4 assume you have firefox, so if you don't already have that I suggest you download it because it's the only browser which handles those features.

Of course, if you use an obscure operating system, many of these things might be taken care of for you already. Linux filesystems are usually efficient enough to not need defragmentation, and with the exception of tracking cookies the systems are usually immune to adware and spyware. It won't really matter if you do everything through wine, though. eComStation has similar features, but it's more friendly towards Windows users and has an even fatter chance of ever getting something harmful.
otiscom
I've found that software is not realy the way.
You realy need a faster processor and more RAM.
knullbar
otiscom wrote:
I've found that software is not realy the way.
You realy need a faster processor and more RAM.

Yeah, that will certainly help. However tuning your PC up would work perfectly aswell to decrease the CPU usage.
TuneOptimizer is a software myself are using, however you can do everything manual aswell as for defragging. Most of these softwares are for lazy people for me, where you only need to click a button.

Kindest regards, Knullbar!~~
bangala
Really the best way to speed up your computer is not to install additional softwares, but to uninstall all unnecessary softwares. Also, do clean the computer regularily from temperoary and extra files. Use the free tool provided by lavasoft adaware to clean ads, spywares, and key loggers. Finally, defragment the root drive regularily.
n-alhaddad
I recommend Advanced Uninstaller and OO Defragment.
In my opinion, OO Defragment is the best one. At least it's better than the built in Windows Defragmenter.

Advanced Uninstaller has several tools and I've been using it for a long while now.
General tools:
Uninstall programs, Monitored Installations, Startup Manager, Duplicate Files, Temporary Files Remover, Quick Cleaner.
Start Menu Cleaner, Hide, Sort and Show Items.
Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox History, Cookies and temporary files remover.
Registry Cleaner, Optimizer, plus Backup and Restore.
Along with several other tools to manage your computer.
bukaida
Nothing can substitute the physical ram and CPU upgrde.But sometimes arranging your information in a better way can speedup the search procedure.Removing unnecessary files also helps.You can try
System Mechanic to speed up and arrange your programs and registry.It is a one stop solution(as they claim).And one more thing--Make your system virus and spyware free.Otherwise it will worsten the situation.
Get the latest version
nivexuck
All you need just Tune Up Utilities. it has all you need to speed up your computer.
But if you use old computer, I suggest you to upgrade your computer.
Da Rossa
My two cents:

Use CCleaner for emptying trash, cookies, cache, temp, system errors, etc. Google it, it's free.

And MV Reg Clean 5.0 for the registry clean, believe it or not it's the top registry-optimizing utility ever seen. Get it from here. Of course it's free too! Smile