FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu - no audio on sigmatel STAC92XX soundcard

trousersalive
Has anyone had problems with sound in Ubuntu using sigmatel STAC92xx audio chipset?
I installed Ubuntu on a new gateway NX270S and have yet to hear a peep out of it, even after trying every fix i have been able to find on the internet (there are a whole bunch).
Any ideas?
djclue917
trousersalive wrote:
Has anyone had problems with sound in Ubuntu using sigmatel STAC92xx audio chipset?
I installed Ubuntu on a new gateway NX270S and have yet to hear a peep out of it, even after trying every fix i have been able to find on the internet (there are a whole bunch).
Any ideas?

Have you unmuted the sound? In Ubuntu, the sound is muted by default. If yes, what's the output of: lsmod | grep snd ?
BTW, what version did you install?
trousersalive
Yep, not muted.
Have tried it with fresh installs of dapper, edgey and feisty. Currently running feisty.
Apparently its a common problem for people with sigmatel cards if the forums are to be believed.
Will upload lsmod | grep snd when i get a chance.
Animal
Have you searched the ALSA Project Website for Linux drivers for your hardware? These may help...
trousersalive
Yep, they dont have anything for sigmatel and i have installed the latest driver/lib/utils packs.
trousersalive
snd_hda_intel 21912 1
snd_hda_codec 204672 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss 44544 0
snd_mixer_oss 17408 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 79876 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 4740 0
snd_seq_oss 32896 0
snd_seq_midi 9600 0
snd_rawmidi 25472 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8448 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 52592 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 23684 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9100 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 54020 12 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 8672 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 10888 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
trousersalive
This is still an ongoing problem.... If anyone is interested...
djclue917
trousersalive wrote:
This is still an ongoing problem.... If anyone is interested...

Is that on a laptop? The output of lsmod implies that the needed modules were already loaded. If that's on a laptop, then changing the "model" in /etc/modprobe.d/<I think this is alsa_something>. That's also the problem with my cousin's laptop. I had to explicitly change the model in modprobe's configuration.

The first thing you should do is to find the available "models" for the HDA Intel codec you are using. Try running alsamixer. You should see which codec your system is using. After that, try searching that codec in Google and you might find some answers about which model to use. If not, download the latest ALSA driver here: http://www.alsa-project.org/ (alsa-driver-1.0.14 as of now). Untar the tarball then find the source file which concerns your codec. You can easily find the file by using grep. If you already know what model to use, then just put this in the file concerned (/etc/modprobe.d/alsa<something here. I can't remember>):

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=<the model that suits your laptop>

Remember, if one model does not work, just try the other models available. Trial-and-error (which models to use) is actually the method I did to solve the sound problem in my cousin's laptop.

I hope that helps...
trousersalive
djclue917 wrote:

Remember, if one model does not work, just try the other models available. Trial-and-error (which models to use) is actually the method I did to solve the sound problem in my cousin's laptop.

I hope that helps...

Thanks for that, I did actually come across that idea somewhere else and I have tried every model i could find and/or think of. No such luck im afraid.
turbosquid
I have experienced various problems with ubuntu sound card drivers / support it took me some time to get sound working on my laptop. Although i have different chipset than yours i have put some basic instructions on my website forum to help users getting sound working on ubuntu. Not sure if it is relevant to your chipset but take a look it may help.

http://www.networkdelta.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

TruboSquid
trousersalive
turbosquid wrote:
i have put some basic instructions on my website forum to help users getting sound working on ubuntu. Not sure if it is relevant to your chipset but take a look it may help.

http://www.networkdelta.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

TruboSquid

Cheers for that, I will look into it.
If I dont have any luck there I think I may just revert back to XP on this machine. Much to my disgust.
nanC
Hello,

This sound problem is so annoying it took me for ever to fix it

http://www.fixya.com/support/t850063-ubuntu_sound_problem

I hope you want have to break your head as much as i did.

NanC.