FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Domain Transfer Doubts?

Scorpio
I want to transfer a domain from some registrar to namecheap.. According to rules I should wait for upto 2 months after the registration of the domain.
I also have the EPP key from my registrar..

What I want to know is if namecheap will charge me on transferring the domain? Or will the charge be applied only when the actual term of the domain expires and it is up for renewal?

namecheap also mentioned the entire remaining term of the domain at the time of transfer will be carried over without loss.

Could someone clarify this for me?
Thank you.
wumingsden
Scorpio wrote:
I want to transfer a domain from some registrar to namecheap.. According to rules I should wait for upto 2 months after the registration of the domain.
I also have the EPP key from my registrar..

What I want to know is if namecheap will charge me on transferring the domain? Or will the charge be applied only when the actual term of the domain expires and it is up for renewal?

namecheap also mentioned the entire remaining term of the domain at the time of transfer will be carried over without loss.

Could someone clarify this for me?
Thank you.

NameCheap Domain Transfer Pricing may help you.
Scorpio
I did see that earlier..

I wanted to know if this price is to be paid as soon as the transfer is over or only when the domain is to be renewed?
wumingsden
Scorpio wrote:
I did see that earlier..

I wanted to know if this price is to be paid as soon as the transfer is over or only when the domain is to be renewed?

I think the price refers to how much it costs to get it renewed, but I'm not sure. If it does mean this, then it sounds pretty expensive, especially when some domain providers provide it for free. Namecheap however is free.
Scorpio
I need to get a definitive answer to go ahead with the transfer.. I certainly cant pay another 9$ after paying a similar amount to register it at the original registrar..

Could somebody please confirm this?

Quote:
Namecheap however is free.

Does this mean I need to pay only during the time of renewal of the domain name? [Sorry, I am asking this again, simply because I want to be sure]
wumingsden
Scorpio wrote:
I need to get a definitive answer to go ahead with the transfer.. I certainly cant pay another 9$ after paying a similar amount to register it at the original registrar..

Could somebody please confirm this?

Quote:
Namecheap however is free.

Does this mean I need to pay only during the time of renewal of the domain name? [Sorry, I am asking this again, simply because I want to be sure]

I'm sorry, I'm such a blonde. I didn't mean to say that at all, so why I typed it I have no idea. I meant to say something along the lines of it is worth it, not free.

After looking more into this, I still cannot give you a definite answer. The Special Discount Offers states that you get free WhoIs protection once the transfer has completed.

Here it also states
Quote:
Risk Free transfer. Your money credited back to your account if transfer is not successful for any reason.

To me the above sound like it does cost something because why would money need to be credited back to the account if transfers are free. Along with the price list, I would guess that it costs $8.88
Scorpio
I guess you are right about the money then..

Another question then, Godaddy states that they give a 1 year extension if we transfer a domain to them for 7$.

So if we have 3 months left on the current domain, then we get 1 year 3 months for the $7. But in namecheap, they dont even give that.

would it be disadvantageous to transfer a domain which is in the final few weeks of its reg period then?
wumingsden
Scorpio wrote:
I guess you are right about the money then..

Another question then, Godaddy states that they give a 1 year extension if we transfer a domain to them for 7$.

So if we have 3 months left on the current domain, then we get 1 year 3 months for the $7. But in namecheap, they dont even give that.

would it be disadvantageous to transfer a domain which is in the final few weeks of its reg period then?

It would seem to be a disadvantage, at least with namecheap. It'll cost $8.88 to tranfer the domain, then $8.88 to renew it too. Note that namecheap has restrictions on domains that will run out, so you may not be able to transfer.

You could let the domain run out and then re-register it with namecheap. The problem with this however is the fact that although the domain has ran out it may not be able to be re-registered for a couple of months. The GoDaddy transfer seems like a good deal, but I think that namecheap is worth it (although I have no experience with GoDaddy) so am giving a biased opinion.
Scorpio
I read on namecheap that domains with less than 7 days left for expiry cannot be transferred. Letting it expire is not an option because I would lose a lot of mileage by the time I can get it back [not to mention the domain name itself].

Guess I'll have to come up with some alternate to this..