FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer problem - Hard drive cable error

froginabox
Hello all,

I have a new mobo running, its a Shuttle AN50R, Athlon 64 chip, 512 mb of Ram, the works.

I can't get it to boot of my main hard drive, a 250 gb Western Digital Caviar. It's brand new, worked fine in my last computer.

When I get to the BIOS, it gives me the error "80 pin cable not installed."

I can't figure out what it means! I'm using 80-wire / 40-pin cables... and it fits the drive. Help!
blueray
Did you installed a 80 pin ata cable ?
froginabox
I don't know, the only connectors I thought you could use with a hard drive were SATA (which I'm not using) and the 40-pin, 80-wire cable that is IDE / PATA whatever you want to call it. Is there something I'm missing here?

EDIT: I counted, there are 40 pins on the hard drive... wouldn't that make using an 80-pin cable impossible? I'm really lost here.
djclue917
Well, the question is: Have you really installed the cable the right way? You may have loose or improper connections. Those IDE cables are really hard to connect/disconnect.
froginabox
Yes, I have the notch facing the correct way and the cables are inserted all the way as well.
danjoy
I had a similar problem when installing a new hard drive in my old machine. It seems that there are new IDE cables that look exactly the same but are different in some respect and are required to run newer hard disks. Might be worth buying a new cable.
froginabox
I bought a new cable a few months ago. This one (don't mean to advertise, just want to see if that is the problem.)
blueray
You may access to the BIOS settings and look for the integrated devices or the same to see if it have settings to corrent this problem.

Sometime it may be required to turn on or change settings to make it works.

It seems the cable is OK.
froginabox
Ok, I will do that... unfortunately, I'm not with my computer again until Sunday night. I will try that then. Thanks!!
Bones
froginabox wrote:
Hello all,

I have a new mobo running, its a Shuttle AN50R, Athlon 64 chip, 512 mb of Ram, the works.

I can't get it to boot of my main hard drive, a 250 gb Western Digital Caviar. It's brand new, worked fine in my last computer.

When I get to the BIOS, it gives me the error "80 pin cable not installed."

I can't figure out what it means! I'm using 80-wire / 40-pin cables... and it fits the drive. Help!

It's nothing to worry about. What that message is telling ou, is that you have a 40 pin cable installed instead of an 80 pin cable. The 40 pin will work, but an 80 conductor cable will be able to push data through the cable at faster speeds.
froginabox
Ok, that sounds logical.

Is there any specific setting in the BIOS that I should be looking for? I think it's a Phoenix BIOS if that helps.