FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

83% bandwidth used, tho low visitor rate

Hunterseaker
Hi,

I've just received an email from Direct admin that I used 83% of my bandwidth, tho I don't get more visitors than an average of 55 a day and about 1050 visitors a month.
All my heavy downloads are on a filehost(not frihost).
I was wondering what causes the major use of my bandwidth... Maybe the wallpapers, I have about 69 on my site.... tho I don't think those wallpapers causes the major use...
So can a moderator or admin pls check which files/pages causes the major use of the bandwidth?(I don't know if that's possible ).

Regards
Hunterseaker
Peterssidan
If you have activated awstats you could see this yourself I think.
It could be bad people that want to kill your site with many requests. If someone have hotlinked your wallpapers it could be that. but sure it is best to see what files that it is about.
Bondings
The bandwidth is http traffic and is already high during this whole month. It's most likely the big files in the files and the wallpapersenz directory that are causing this. Your pages are also pretty big, at least your home page is over 200KB.

I'm also seeing a lot of accesses to some big (I mean 100KB+) files in your files directory, without a referrer or browser string, and this very frequently - and the accesses seem to be coming from the server itself. That's most likely causing the biggest part of your bandwidth. Are you sure you don't have any weird scripts running?
Hunterseaker
Bondings wrote:
The bandwidth is http traffic and is already high during this whole month. It's most likely the big files in the files and the wallpapersenz directory that are causing this. Your pages are also pretty big, at least your home page is over 200KB.

I'm also seeing a lot of accesses to some big (I mean 100KB+) files in your files directory, without a referrer or browser string, and this very frequently - and the accesses seem to be coming from the server itself. That's most likely causing the biggest part of your bandwidth. Are you sure you don't have any weird scripts running?

I'm sure I don't have any weird scripts running, no backup stuff etc, no cron jobs.....
I just checked my files, I can't find any weird pages.... cronjobs are empty to.....
It is strange that the most traffic (bandwidth use) comes from the server itself.

Maybe it is because the images are all jpg instead of png(forgot to select the right settings when saving).

Edit:
I've searched trough awstats again and I think I found the cause: the jpg files......
I will resave some wallpapers and maybe some layout images... I hope that solves the problem.

Thnx anyway
johnsonap
Did you have any lok with this?
Hunterseaker
johnsonap wrote:
Did you have any lok with this?

No, My account is suspended now.... 2morrow the bandwidth will reset again....
Tho it is strange, the visitor rate isn't higher than usual, tho the bandwidth is way more....
so here a question for bondings or a mod/admin:
I've checked my files, I couldn't find any strange scripts, what I do found is that the most bandwidth is used by jpg images.... So it i might caused by hotlinking.... Is there a way to check and prevent this? I can't find a disable hotlinking option in Direactadmin.....

I also noticed that someone else than I had logged in on direct admin on the 7th of March. can you check if that has been some of the admins or a stranger?

Edit:
In the mean while I found out how to disable hotlinking with .htaccess, so I hope the bandwidth problem will be solved now...

I still need a answer about the login.....

Edit2:
Is there a way to check which sites are hotlinking to my images?
ashish2005
It must be that google is eating up your bandwidth. My site was suspended 2 days ago because the bandwidth limit of my site was finished. I have a phpbb forum just like this one and after my research I think that google search robot is the one responsible for this. Google was indexing the same page a couple of time because of the sessions in phpbb forum. Both of us should try to do something with our robots.txt file.
Bondings
The ip address seems to be from the Netherlands too. Are you sure it's not you trying to log in from a different computer. The provider seems to be xs4all.
Hunterseaker
Bondings wrote:
The ip address seems to be from the Netherlands too. Are you sure it's not you trying to log in from a different computer. The provider seems to be xs4all.

Hmm I don't think it was me, maybe on school... tho I can't remember me login in on Direct Admin on school....
I will just check my logs regularly and check if it happens again.....
Hunterseaker
A little kick because I have some new information:
I've looked at awstats again and I noticed that in one day 97mb is used from my bandwidth, thats an awful lot of space.....
95 mb is used for jpg files...
I've tried to disable hotlinking tho I think I have some errors in my script...
This is how my .htaccess file looks now:
Code:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(.+\.)?wallpaperheaven\.frih\.net/ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteRule .*\.(jpe?g|gif|bmp|png)$ /images/nothotlinking.jpg [L]

I can't see any error, tho hotlinking is still possible...

Edit:
I've searched a bit more and now I'm using this code:

Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?wallpaperheaven.frih.net/images/affiliatewh.gif(/)?.*$     [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|bmp|png)$ http://wallpaperheaven.frih.net/images/nothotlinking.jpg [R,NC]

This works fine, except the replace file......I just get a cross icon and not the replace image...

edit2:
disable hotlinking works all fine now....