FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pilot - is it a good career choice these days?

trousersalive
Are there any pilots out there? Whats the market like for pilots these days? is it possible to make money as a bush pilot or is it only big airlines that pay the bucks? How much money does one have to invest before you can start making a living?
SGbilder
Never consider to pick an education to what you like instead of what the market says about the money and so on...
If you want to be a pilot, go for it, I'm sure there is some jobs out there!
Afaceinthematrix
I used to want to be a pilot but it would have caused too many family problems. My mom was freeking out saying, "It's too dangerous! What about terrorists?" 9/11 sort of freeked her out.
myforrum
being pilot is risky job but its the best out there. great paychecks and other benefits i suppose not sure which ones though. but anyhow im planning to major in pilot too. i will be taking classes next year.
trousersalive
Im going to play the high stakes and go for it anyway. Its a big risk and a whole bunch of cash but as you say, doing something you love has got to be all good. And worth living in a box on the street for 5 years.
trousersalive
Well still not broke yet and loving it! Wanaka, NZ is the best place ever to fly if anyone is interested...
Guelila
What type of plane are you flying now?
Did you get any paying jobs yet?
trousersalive
Guelila wrote:
What type of plane are you flying now?
Did you get any paying jobs yet?

Haha, Ive only just started training so it will be some time yet before any paying jobs come around. Starting out in a Piper PA28. Bloody good fun though.
bukaida
As more and more private airlines are coming into the picture, the demand for good pilots are rising day by day.As there is a huge gap between the supply and demand in this field, the salaries and other packages are very attractive compared to other jobs.
greatfire
In my opinion becoming a pilot is an excellent career choice.
agustin
I love airplanes. And I also used to think about being a comercial pilot. I think is a great career! Im pretty sure that in the US would pay good bills in that job. Maybe in the future I could become a pilot as I always wanted to be, but for now Im happy being a pilot in the flight simulator. Good luck man!
max2500
Hey, as others have said, a commercial pilot is a great career choice.

1) its something you obviously love and have passion for
2) the pay is good
3) you get to travel the world
4) Your office is 30,000 feet up in the clouds and its always sunny when u go to work Smile

Personally I wanted to do it as well, but it costs too much to even get your ppl. Once I have enough money saved up I'm definitely gonna get training for my ppl, then see where it goes from there.

Good luck with what your doing!
wish it was me Smile
trousersalive
A lot of people have tried to scare me off the idea with horror stories of lack of jobs and miniscule pay, but as I get to know more and more about the industry I can see that opportunities abound. Unfortunately it is very much who you know and not necessarily what you know, but having said that, it is very easy to get to know the right people as it is a very tight industry.
Its all good here.
PatTheGreat42
I definately think there's jobs to be had in the airline business as long as you're good at flying. Plus, by the time you're good enough to be a commercial pilot, you can do a lot of other stuff in the flying business. But in the end, if you really love flying, then I would go for it - you want it bad enough, it'll happen.
Quench
trousersalive wrote:
Are there any pilots out there? Whats the market like for pilots these days? is it possible to make money as a bush pilot or is it only big airlines that pay the bucks? How much money does one have to invest before you can start making a living?

I currently fly a small aircraft for a corporation. The market right now is terrible. Major airlines can pay the bucks, but the glory days of aviation are over. It is very difficult to get hired at a major airline. There are many other flying jobs than just airlines, though. Corporate, aerial mapping, ag, freight, charter, air ambulance, ect.

It will cost you around $40-50,000 to get your private through commercial ratings. Traditionally, you build flight hours by becoming a flight instructor. Instructors don't make very much money. After you build enough hours, you try to get hired by a freight operator or a as a first officer with a regional airline. First year regional FO salaries range anywhere from $14,000 to $20,000 per year.

Aviation is a very unstable way to make a living. When the economy is bad, oil prices are high, or there is a terrorist attack, aviation is the first thing to feel it. Right now there are thousands of pilots on furlough from airlines.

Don't get into aviation for the money. You will be dissapointed. Do it because you really like to do it. Don't believe any of the nonsense you see in flight school advertisements about pilot shortages. There will never be a pilot shortage because there will always be pilots willing to work for next to nothing.

This is only a breif summary. I am writing this to let people know what they are really getting into before they decide to spend the time, effort, and money on becoming a commercial pilot. It is not as glamorous as most people think it is.
johans
Pilot is a good job i guess. But studying pilot is expensive course/fields. I think is a nice career specially if you got a job once you done graduate. I think its also good salary.

I have seen that these days pilot is more demand in market here in philippines. More people here love to choose travel by plane than ship.

I want my son to become a pilot.
kaysch
johans wrote:
Pilot is a good job i guess. But studying pilot is expensive course/fields. I think is a nice career specially if you got a job once you done graduate. I think its also good salary.

I have seen that these days pilot is more demand in market here in philippines. More people here love to choose travel by plane than ship.

I want my son to become a pilot.

This weekend I watched a TV documentary on Ryanair, a Ireland-based low cost carrier. Apparently pilots have to compete with one another about consumption of fuel. And that leads to very little safety on board. For example some time back there were three planes trying to land in Madrid. They could not because of a storm there, so they had to be redirected to Valencia. And because of scarce fuel on board all three had to send Mayday messages. Fortunately there all could land safely, but it was a very critical situation. The other thing they said is that most Ryanair pilots don't actually work for Ryanair themselves but for agencies who provide personnel to Ryanair. So if a pilot reports sick that is his own problem in the end.

To sum it up: I think the days where pilots earn a lot are over. It's like being a bus driver, and with the computerization of planes maybe in the future pilots are no longer needed. I wouldn't start my job career as a pilot.
test-webdev3
Compared to a lot of professions, being a pilot has little risk in terms of personal safety.

The biggest risk is the great cost to go pro, and then the difficulty of finding a job afterwards.

Check out Oxford Aviation, and CTC Wings.
BigGeek
Quench wrote:
trousersalive wrote:

I currently fly a small aircraft for a corporation. The market right now is terrible. Major airlines can pay the bucks, but the glory days of aviation are over. It is very difficult to get hired at a major airline. There are many other flying jobs than just airlines, though. Corporate, aerial mapping, ag, freight, charter, air ambulance, ect.

It will cost you around $40-50,000 to get your private through commercial ratings. Traditionally, you build flight hours by becoming a flight instructor. Instructors don't make very much money. After you build enough hours, you try to get hired by a freight operator or a as a first officer with a regional airline. First year regional FO salaries range anywhere from $14,000 to $20,000 per year.

Aviation is a very unstable way to make a living. When the economy is bad, oil prices are high, or there is a terrorist attack, aviation is the first thing to feel it. Right now there are thousands of pilots on furlough from airlines.

Don't get into aviation for the money. You will be disappointed. Do it because you really like to do it. Don't believe any of the nonsense you see in flight school advertisements about pilot shortages. There will never be a pilot shortage because there will always be pilots willing to work for next to nothing.

This is only a brief summary. I am writing this to let people know what they are really getting into before they decide to spend the time, effort, and money on becoming a commercial pilot. It is not as glamorous as most people think it is.

This is exactly what I have been told by five different friends of mine - one of my friends is my age and he used to fly for United Airlines and earned over 120K a year doing it - he now says he is lucky to earn over 40K a year - thinks are not what they used to be that is for sure.

Another good friend - he went into the Navy out of college and became a pilot and now works as a corporate pilot flying for Ford Motor Company - like he said the Navy paid for his flight training and certified him in numerous aircraft - so joining the military to get your flight training is always an option. Although you have to be under 25 years of age to go to Navy flight school, so I guess if you are older than that it is not an option!
Insanity
That's not to mention that the working lifestyle for a pilot working for a regional airline might not be the best too. Especailly if you're not as senior as the other pilots in the airline you might get the worst shifts.
loveandormoney
Sure
Your ll have a lot of fun.
Da Rossa
Not in Brazil from what I hear.
And human pilots are about to be replaced. Drones will take over. What about studying mechatronic engineering so you can build aircrafts instead of piloting them?
loveandormoney
trousersalive wrote:

My friend is doing this job and he likes it.

Do it and You ll have a lot of fun and money.