FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

12 Monkeys.. one of the best sci fi movies?

NoelParam
No, its not the BEST sci fi movie but well.. at least is the best one to depict time travel and maintain a good story line.

This movie was based on the French short film La Jetee. Nonetheless, 12 monkeys is still is quite brilliant. Sounds like something that could actually happen in the near future? it is a wild idea but anything is possible. Especially with global warming close to becoming a reality. Floods, diseases, droughts.

Any other good sci-fi movies?
Fake
NoelParam wrote:
No, its not the BEST sci fi movie but well.. at least is the best one to depict time travel and maintain a good story line.

This movie was based on the French short film La Jetee. Nonetheless, 12 monkeys is still is quite brilliant. Sounds like something that could actually happen in the near future? it is a wild idea but anything is possible. Especially with global warming close to becoming a reality. Floods, diseases, droughts.

lol....u must be dreaming kid. No one is gonna time travel anytime soon
ALl you can do is get stuck on the M1 every morning and reach work late.
Back to movies, I like Terminator. Time travel there and kick some ass!
HDirtwater
12 Monkeys is certainly one of the most underappreciated sci-fi movies. It's extremely clever, and the end is just great - "I'm in insurance!" I love it.

The best sci-fi movie of all time is Blade Runner. It is simply beautiful to look at, and a great story also.
HoboPelican
HDirtwater wrote:
12 Monkeys is certainly one of the most underappreciated sci-fi movies. It's extremely clever, and the end is just great - "I'm in insurance!" I love it.

The best sci-fi movie of all time is Blade Runner. It is simply beautiful to look at, and a great story also.

12 Monkeys and Bladerunner have both got to be among the best scifi flicks EVER. I've watchd both more times than I can count and they still holdup well. Not as good, but I really liked the Fifth Element (another Willis flick with a number!) and Strange Days. I also loved Serenity, but that is more a personal fav.

Anyone see the "War of the Worlds"? Not the Cruise version, but the 1953 one with Gene Barry. A great flick for the time!
chrismen
I have seen it but really don't remember. I like the Matrix. I know almost everybody likes it but I have liked it since before the hype once it came out in 1999.
Scaramanga
HoboPelican wrote:
...and Strange Days.

Yeah, Strange Days hardly gets any recognition, and I think it's an excellent near-future sci-fi flick. I mean the year of the movie is ironic now (1999,) but I think if you ignore that fact it's still an excellent film. It's kind of like Gen X fatalism meets the plotline from The Conversation.
NoelParam
The Matrix was good. I used to think it was one of the best sci fi movies ever till I read that the writers copied a majority of the story from Ghost In The Shell (a Japanese cartoon/movie) and other various Japanese animes... As in, literally copy scene for scene that its not even funny.

That was also one of the reasons why the 2nd and 3rd movie (Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions) weren't so good. They had nothing else to copy.
odinstag
I don't know if it was the best. But it was a great CRAZY role for Brad Pitt.

I like watching him play a nut case. He does it so well.

Makes me wonder if he has a crazy person in the family.
HoboPelican
odinstag wrote:
I don't know if it was the best. But it was a great CRAZY role for Brad Pitt.

I like watching him play a nut case. He does it so well.

Makes me wonder if he has a crazy person in the family.

Yeah...I am not a BP fan, but I thought he was awesome in that flick. Really nailed the nutcase character. Or maybe what I think a wacko would act like, since I really don't know that many.
HDirtwater
Pitt was nominated for an Oscar for his role in 12 monkeys. He is terrific, and frighteningly believeable as a lunatic.
jenice
NoelParam wrote:

I loved this film. It was such an odd film, but it just worked. What was unusual about it for me is that I actually loved Brad Pitt in this. I don't usually like him, but he was so... crazy. He just pulled it off really well. Same can be said about Bruce Willis. It just worked for me.
mattchun
Yes, I think so.

But it's only ONE of, there are many others that worth watching.
NoelParam
Quote:
mattchun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:46 pm Post subject:
Yes, I think so.

But it's only ONE of, there are many others that worth watching.

yeah.. what are the others that are worth watching? I wanna watch them![/list]
bigbadjohn
Terry Gilliam is a frickin genius. 12 monkeys and brazil are his seminal work, the genre of sci fi is a broad canvas where a talented directors imagination could run wild. Instead the genre is very rarely tackled on the big screen and when it is done then it often comes across as hackneyed and poorly implemented.

Recently though in the futuristic genre Ive really enjoyed 3 films. Firstly Equillibrium out a few years ago but was a great film which blended futuristic ideas with martial arts disciplines. This film dealt with a futuristic soceity where all emotion was outlawed and a rebel faction battled the state to overthrow them. The combat element of the film was superb and there were a few memorable moments. Especially the dog in a trunk scene, if youve seen the film you'll know what I mean.

Second and thirdly are V for Vendetta and Children of Men both depicting a bleak futuristic Great Britain both are worth a look.
linangan
I don't think there's any doubt that 12 Monkeys is one of the best science fiction films of the 90s. It is a well-constructed time-travel tale that gets the paradoxes and logic right. What I do find surprising is that so many people insist it has a happy ending.

What causes this hope is, of course, the final scene. What we see is the interior of an airplane. The scientist who is spreading the virus walks to his seat; the window seat is already taken by a woman drinking champagne. We recognize the woman: she is one of the scientists that have sent Cole into the past. She makes a remark indicating that she does much care for the people outside, calling them "insects." The scientist indicates he has similar feelings and they introduce themselves. The woman gives her name and then says, "I'm in insurance."