FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fahrenheit 451 should be required reading.

Have you read Fahrenheit 451?
Yes I have
93%
 93%  [ 14 ]
Nope never read it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

vw_bugg
I have read this book over and over. It is a slap in the face and points out the extremes of censorship. This is a good way to introduce the idea of censorship

I am most impressed with the way the books are preserved i wish that i had the dedication reqired to do that.

What do you guys think?
Have you read it?

This might have a spoiler on it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451
Afaceinthematrix
I have read it. it is an important book because it shows the power of censorship and what a government can do. I had to read it a long time ago... when I was a Freshman in high school I think...
Anotherevil
In my honest opinion, I don't think any book should be a compulsory book to read. There's no use making someone read it because in the end, if they don't want to read it they will use something like Sparknotes and get it over with.
But the book on the other hand, very nicely written and does tell you about the extremities of censorship. I love how they say that you actually remember everything you read but just need to as such harness the power of your brain to remember it.

Btw, I think there was a movie made on this book, back in the 70's. Horrible movie let me tell you that much!
evanc88
The book presents the extremist idea of banning all books. Just as extreme, but on the other end, would be to require everyone to read a certain thing. Curriculum in schools, however, is a little different.

I liked the book. It was a page-turner, but it was too over-the-top with its symbolism to me. After a while, I was just thinking, "I get the point, now say something new." And I wish the war that had gone on in the background of the whole novel had been a little more present while reading. Also, the scene that was omitted where the Captain takes Guy into his own personal library--that should have been included.
calicamper
Quote:
In my honest opinion, I don't think any book should be a compulsory book to read. There's no use making someone read it because in the end, if they don't want to read it they will use something like Sparknotes and get it over with.

Even though people may not read assigned books in their entireity their message still gets through. A book like this has a simple message about censorship, but I think it's an important tool to spark debate.
loryl
It's a well written book, but I don't think any books should be required reading. Otherwise, it's almost like you're shoving your ideas down someone's throat. There ARE situations where censorship is a good thing (i.e.: content in children's books).
evanc88
loryl wrote:
It's a well written book, but I don't think any books should be required reading. Otherwise, it's almost like you're shoving your ideas down someone's throat. There ARE situations where censorship is a good thing (i.e.: content in children's books).

I think that's a different type of censorship. That's content censorship with a certain demographic, not an oppressive ban on a piece of humanity (literature).
oleszka
of course I've read it. It's my favorite American author - Ray Bradbury-! And I liked it so much. Idea of roman is very great! I know that movie exists but I didn't watch /can't find/
ddukki
It is required reading ... at least in my school district. We read it in fifth grade and then again in eighth. First, it was for higher level reading, and then for introductions to satire. Really good book, but my teachers beat it to death with all the symbolism and metaphors.
evanc88
ddukki wrote:
It is required reading ... at least in my school district. We read it in fifth grade and then again in eighth. First, it was for higher level reading, and then for introductions to satire. Really good book, but my teachers beat it to death with all the symbolism and metaphors.

I think the book beats itself to death.
Dean_The_Great
I love this book. I think it's an amazing testament to the foresight of Bradbury. He's had a lot of innovative ideas and he's shown them in many different, very interesting ways.

I think that Bradbury as an author and artist should be something that everyone should look at, but not necessarily be compulsory in school. I admit, I read F451 in high school, and might not have read it otherwise, but Bradbury as a contributor to society's view on itself is something of which I am well acquainted.

Love the book, everyone should be given the chance to read it. And those that want to Sparknotes it, well.. their loss.
brilliantbeauty
I read this as Freshmen required summer reading, but I LOVED it. I mean, for me, it wasn't so much the censorship that already got to me (I read lots of stuff about censorship before, and I'm a pretty vocal opponent of it), though he did an amazing job with that, so much as the conformity issues, and the way society was going. And Beatty was an amazing character, full stop.

Basically, while I don't think it should be REQUIRED, its one of those books you really should read up there with Catcher in the Rye, The Crucible, Atlas Shrugged, and those types. Smile
missdixy
It's a great book, but well, I'm sure you know that some people can read things and never get the real meaning of them..
David_Pardy
I had to read it in year 10 at high school, and to be perfectly honest I was bored with it. It was the shortest book I recall having for mandatory reading at high school (We had To Kill a Mockingbird and The Secret Garden at other times).

I still have my copy from school though, I've thought of reading it again and seeing if my perspective of it is different now to what it was then, but I'm more interested in reading my Roald Dahl books Wink.
Kestrad
I liked the beginning of the book, when Montag meets the girl (that I can't remember the name of) who opens his eyes. I'm not so sure I liked the rest though.
johanfh
I remember reading the novell and I liked it. I especially liked the idea that you can't silence a book by burning it [little spoiler warning]
because after all a story really becomes alive if someone reads it, remembers it and tells it to other people. And about this specific story: I read a lot of stories and books but this is one of the few that I fully remember just by reading the title, so it made some impression to me...

JohanFH