FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Thread spamming" policy?

LukeakaDanish
Ok...I often visit the "view unanswered posts" link...and I have a question about what the policy on users who start 10+ threads in a short amount of time.

Here is an example:

Well respected member dxhunter has obviously opened a fair few threads.

Also further down rheanna has around 10 threads (out of view).

Perhaps they are all very interesting...but usually this kind of "thread spamming" is either one-liners, or quoted content from other pages.

It doesn't break the rules explicitly, but I still think it is abuse of the point system, and feel like reporting the users.

Should I?
Blaster
no because at least with Rheana she makes pretty quailty posts.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-581858.html#581858

now lets face it we all spam a little bit with our posts. Even bondings. Now i'm sure that when i was new here i was like this too.
rheanna
Embarassed TY Blaster ;o) Figured I would stay quiet on the subject. HA HA

I admit. I'm not perfect. Sorry, if you're offended by what I post.
Scorpio
I have subsequently edited my post with accordance to what a "real" member of the staff, Animal has said. it is indeed not in my jurisdiction to advise a member to post properly or sensibly or with any limit or not to spam or tell them anything else that would cease spam. Also, asking a member to limit one's posts [some of them spammy] may lead to them being distressed and in turn they may post less thus leading to lesser pageviews which eventually culminates in frihost earning less.

I feel that I was breaking Frihost's "Don't Backseat moderate Policy" as well, seeing how Animal so eloquently put it.

Therefore I retract my earlier comments on fellow member rheanna's posts and concede that she has a right to post any amount of posts a day as she desires, spammy or not [I dont have a right to object, anyway] Wink
Animal
I don't want to come across as being a real hardass here, but there is no restriction on the number of times someone posts on the forum over a day. Scorpio, you really shouldn't be telling people what they can and can't post - you're not a member of staff.

If anyone finds any user's threads at all spammy, they can use the report post feature and let the staff know why you feel a thread should be removed. We are also on frequent "patrol" and we quite often remove posts we feel are spam.

@rheanna, if you feel like posting as you have been, please do so. If the staff decide you have been spamming with regards to videos or any other content, we may issue a warning, but this is absolutely not "on the cards" as scorpio (a non-staff member) seems to be suggesting. The only comment that I would make is that you should perhaps post funny videos in the Funny Pictures forum - this way, you will absolutely not be accused of spam with regard to these posts.

@scorpio, please do not try to tell other forum users that there is any "limit" with regards to activity levels or the number of posts made. If you feel that any user has been overly-spamming, please let the staff know by the normal channels (either by PM, or by using the reporting feature). By trying to lay down what you believe the rules should be, you are far more likely to be getting into trouble yourself. Back-Seat Moderating is generally frowned upon, but you need to be careful you don't cross a line and end up trying to make your own rules and "Back-Seat Moderate" using them. Frihost has its own rules system and these are the rules that are upheld on this forum - not yours.

Apologies if that came across as a proper chewing-out, but I felt that this had to be said, and other members had to be able to see the above too (hence why I didn't send a PM).
rheanna
Thank you, Animal

I will do my best.

*Muah*
MrBlueSky
LukeakaDanish wrote:

It doesn't break the rules explicitly, but I still think it is abuse of the point system, and feel like reporting the users.

Should I?

Since your points are reset to 45 every day, you can't 'abuse' the point system this way.

Besides that, I think it's better when one user opens a lot of interesting topics in a short amount of time instead of 1 uninteresting topic once a week/day. Smile

Just MHO.
tidruG
MrBlueSky wrote:
Since your points are reset to 45 every day, you can't 'abuse' the point system this way.
It's not the people whose points are reset to 45 everyday. There are quite a few members who come to Frihost once in 2 months, when their points are -10. They make a bunch of new topics all over the forums, increase their points to 30, and then disappear again for 2 months.
Secondly, even though points are reset everyday, FRIH$ are not. So, it becomes an issue of abusing for FRIH$ too, and not just points.

Quote:
Besides that, I think it's better when one user opens a lot of interesting topics in a short amount of time instead of 1 uninteresting topic once a week/day. Smile
True, but imagine if someone posted 10 uninteresting topics in a short period of time, and someone else posted 1 interesting topic once a day.
Alternately, imagine 10 new topics in ONE forum, all of them more-or-less about the same thing. All the older threads, most of which may already have some very interesting discussions going on, get pushed down and out of sight. Thus, the new topics sometimes cause the premature death of a topic that may have had some very good discussion already going on.
LukeakaDanish
Thanks for the response...but I am kinda looking for a (mod/admin) conclusion to this!

Should I or shouldn't I report members who post 10+ posts in 10- minutes?

(Are one-line OP's even considered spam?)
Bondings
LukeakaDanish, it depends on the quality of the posts. If they are all "me too" or "nice" posts, then yes it's a good idea to report it. If the posts do add to the discussion, even though they are short, then usually it's ok.
Scorpio
Luke, you are referring to 10+ Threads in 10 mins, right?

10+ posts in 10 mins is alright, just as bondings said.

But what about 10+ threads in 10 mins? So many threads, so little time could certainly indicate something other than good quality?
What should one do in this case?

e.g. 10 thread consisting mostly of video links to youtube or unverified conspiratorial theories etc?
LukeakaDanish
Scorpio wrote:
Luke, you are referring to 10+ Threads in 10 mins, right?

10+ posts in 10 mins is alright, just as bondings said.

But what about 10+ threads in 10 mins? So many threads, so little time could certainly indicate something other than good quality?
What should one do in this case?

e.g. 10 thread consisting mostly of video links to youtube or unverified conspiratorial theories etc?

Yea, that was what I meant, sorry about the bad wording of my previous post Embarassed
rheanna
sorry but grow up.. other things in life to worry about then the he said , she said and if my account gets deleted over this I don't care.
tidruG
I'll offer you a very simple solution now...
If you see 10 new threads in a single forum, go check them out. (this will mean you've taken a little bit of time to go through them and verify that they're low quality before just reporting them)
If you think they're spammy or of low-quality, just report them. We'll go through them, and then maybe remove the ones that needn't have been made.

As for those who are creating multiple topics within a very short span of time, I'd suggest you think about the normal, suggested procedure before making a thread... which is, basically, to run a search and make sure that a thread doesn't already exist on the topic. Secondly, instead of making many threads about things that may be inter-related, I suggest making lesser number of threads with more content in each thread.

Note: these tips are not specifically directed at one person, but to everyone in general.