I found this article in popular science and ithink i am going to try it out.
It says if you are careful you coudld add more blue stuff and it would last for years. Maybe you could put a bright led light or power your cell phone if there are enough.
sounds like a good idea in theory...
In practice you would probably bump it and ruin the whole thing, or maybe you would knock it onto the phone or iPod you were charging.
I like the idea, tho it is not very handy.... and the battery is a bit big don't you think.
On that website the battery suplies a few leds.... I think You need a few pools to power a pc.......
Tho the concept is nice.
I myself would rather just buy batteries. I don't know where to get copper sulfate anyways, but it sounds like a nice idea when you have a power outage or you're too lazy to get off your arse and to the nearest store...
I thought really it would make a cool conversation peice and it would look cool in an emtpy spot on a book shelf or something. I think a few would charge a cell phone. It says it provides about 1 volt per glass. So a few glasses and a capacitor and we are in business.
interesting idea.. ill defianlty give this ago without a doubt!
This looks awesome! Anyone know if there's any sort of side-effect radiation (or the like) from this, though?
As cool as it would be to have a massive glowing pool of liquid running my house, I'd worry about the health concerns
I doubt there are really any dangers. It only supplies one volt though, you can't do much with that. Buying batteries from a store would probably be cheaper. INteresting concept though.
i think we did something like this in chemistry class once, or was it the other way around, i think we extracted the copper from copper sulphate by pushing electricity in, rather than take it out. and the electrodes where different.
I will surely try when I get back from Italy, lol. Fun project...
A fun project for kids at the kitchentable, but not very practical in daily use.
There are even ways to make your own solar panel. I saw a small video about that, but I can't remember where or when I saw that.
WHOA!! potato and mud.. i knew of lemons but damn, the battery companies are rorting us!!
WOW Thanks for the links.
I have been looking for a potato batterey recipe for a while.
The mud is even cooler. I think that the potatoes would be the cheapest because of the freeze. Freeze = expensive lemons. Plus i remember that i read somewhere that the lemons have like a maximum voltage or something like that no matter how many you connect. Sounds like fun. My gf doesnt beleive that you can make a battery with a potatoe i will show her.
i find this funny now every time i go to eat a lemon or use it for cooking ill believe it can electrocute me
Looks dangerous to me. And it must be handle with care, for the reaction between the chemicals may be potent or explosive depending on what they use.
But sometimes it is safe too. (sounds contridicting, don't I? ) I have studied how all this works before. What i have learned is almost similar to the link vw_bugg provided.
It was fascinating to read about making a battery from lemons and potatoes.
I have seen lemon and potatoe alarm clock sets ofr sale before so I am thinking they can be used for more than simple LEDs these days.
Nature is a pretty wonderful thing.
I think the fruit may be an interesting experiment for kids but anytbhing else could be pretty dangerous.
Oh my god, this is awesome!
It never cross my mind that it might possible to make a battery from lemons and potatoes...
hah! this looks cool!
might try it out myself too! after all that meter is on the safe side of the "safe-crazy" scale
thanx for a lovely find, dude!
Copper sulphate is not cyanide people!
If you drank a whole glass, yeah. i would probably think a trip to the doctors would be in order, but explosions? RADIOACTIVITY?!?! no. not at all.... well...maybe if you dropped a firecracker or some uranium in it.
They give this stuff in this concentration to 6th graders for science fair projects.
Safety around pets might be an issue though. I can see my dog drinking three glasses of the stuff (dogs are dumber than 6th graders though...)
This is a really cool project and it help illustrate how battery works by being able to build one with household objects...or copper sulphate.
It was interesting to find out that the battery or even electricity is not such a new discovery; they found a 2000 year old battery in Baghdad during the excavation on a village.
Its sometimes so easy to believe that we, at this point in time, are the pinnacle of technological achievement, and we probably are, but we only very recently have surpassed some other civilizations' "High Scores" when it comes to all round sophistication.
|exarkun wrote: |
|Looks dangerous to me. |
Look at the safety rating. The rated it safe. That's means it isn't dangerous.
will if you used a big tank that could hold like 1000 gallants then it might be get more fromit but this way you need a lotof glasses to powere anything like computer
nice idea.... i guess
What an amazing article, very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post it, And thankyou to thoose who replied with such things as the mud battery bacteria, Fascinating stuff!
Anyone considered just buying an AC adapter?
With tons of salad water in the Earth, I always have the idea to extract electric power from it.
But Shell, Texaco and other oil companies won't like my idea...
Anyway what's the point, you can get a pack of 25 for $5 (AUD).
I want to try it. Even though its probably easier to buy one
I must say it is lokking cool
But is the site reliable, and is it realistic?
Sure the site it's reliable!
It's the Popular Science Magazine Website!
dude, i am so going to try that blue stuff. but can i put it in a closed 5-gallon container?? i think so if i leave the small air-hole open. anyway i will order the sulfate or whatever from the internet, just a google search away
|Vrythramax wrote: |
|Anyone considered just buying an AC adapter? |
Aww come on, your no fun!
|erlendhg wrote: |
|I must say it is lokking cool
But is the site reliable, and is it realistic?
Um did you click on the link and actually go to the site?
Yes, it is popular science on of the leading science mags in this country.
And Yes it will work!
Wow! That looks so cool! I want to try that. But it might just be a waste of 20$,
It was meant as a joke
But I still rather have an AC Adaptor, that way my cd player, of laptop wouldn't die out on me when I really need it
The clue is in the safety rating: 1 Crazy.
Probably not such a great idea, plus irregular voltage could fry whatever you're using it to power.
sounds cool and everything..
but getting my hands on those tedious instructions and materials, nah.. not cool..
i wanna try it but there seem a little problem with its cost. Isn't it a little expensive? Finding copper sulfate. As i see , it has costed 20$ for 3 hours. i know cheapher sources frm it.