FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Running Mac programs on windows

bukaida
Hi
Is it possible to run my mac programs on windows? I am using an emulator named Macdrive 6.1.5 but it is not satisfying my purpose.Another thing I want to know that is there any mac OS version exists which can run on X-86 based system? Can I constuct a dual booting system with windows? How stable will it be/ Any kind of hardware detection problem for 915 motherboard with 2.8GHz cpu? Please help.
{name here}
Macdrive is not an emulator - it's just a disk mounter. The only way you're going to run Mac OS X on Windows besides using a pirated version is to try and use PearPC to emulate a PPC version of OS X.
ezekiel_rage
bukaida wrote:
Hi
Is it possible to run my mac programs on windows? I am using an emulator named Macdrive 6.1.5 but it is not satisfying my purpose.Another thing I want to know that is there any mac OS version exists which can run on X-86 based system? Can I constuct a dual booting system with windows? How stable will it be/ Any kind of hardware detection problem for 915 motherboard with 2.8GHz cpu? Please help.

You can always install MacOS in an emulated environment.

Use Qemu or any emulator.

That way yu dont have to reboot everytime you want to use your guest OS. works with most OS
bukaida
The emulator requires some kind of rom to emulate.Now from where can I download that stuff? I have used this site's resource but was again not successful.
http://www.emulators.com/download.htm

I have formatted my 1 gb pendrive with macdrive. Now it is showing the pendrive with an apple symbol.I also have the original mac 8.0 os cd. now is it possible to install mac os 8.0 on that pendrive? Is it possible to boot as the original mac machine selecting USB as first boot device? Will there be any
driver problem? I am using lenovo c 100 d7 ( 1.5 Ghz celeron, 256 DDR2,
intel 915GM ).Please help.
{name here}
bukaida wrote:
The emulator requires some kind of rom to emulate.Now from where can I download that stuff? I have used this site's resource but was again not successful.
http://www.emulators.com/download.htm

I have formatted my 1 gb pendrive with macdrive. Now it is showing the pendrive with an apple symbol.I also have the original mac 8.0 os cd. now is it possible to install mac os 8.0 on that pendrive? Is it possible to boot as the original mac machine selecting USB as first boot device? Will there be any
driver problem? I am using lenovo c 100 d7 ( 1.5 Ghz celeron, 256 DDR2,
intel 915GM ).Please help.

All an emulator does is emulate a certain architecture on a different architecture. If you want to run Mac OS X on Windows PearPC should not require a ROM because no Mac OS X code is dependant on a ROM(You will need a PowerPC version of OS X for it to work, however). There is a site I know of that has a ROM you can download, and I know how to obtain a ROM from the Mac OS 8 CD, but due to legal reasons I cannot post the either in this post. However, you do need a ROM for emulating Mac OS Classic. I do not reccomend you use ANY of the emulators you see in emulators.com for emulating Mac OS Classic - they suck, frankly. Use Sheepshaver JIT from cebix.net. You will have to mount an image file(drives simply do not work with the exception of the floppy and CD drives) formatted with HFV expolorer or a similar program + allow for boot from a CD with the emulator config utility. Insert the CD into the drive, and start the emulation. You will boot into the CD and start the setup. You will not be able to boot directly from Mac OS since it is being emulated and not run on the host machine. However, you can put a shortcut to sheepshaver in your startup folder and you can run Mac OS by default when Windows boots up.
knightandre
It is illegal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware.

Quote:
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This
License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software
available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. If you use Setup Assistant to transfer
software from one Apple-labeled computer to another Apple-labeled computer, please remember that continued use of the original
copy of the software may be prohibited once a copy has been transferred to another computer, unless you already have a licensed
copy of such software on both computers. You should check the relevant software license agreements for applicable terms and
conditions. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup
purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.
froginabox
Exactly like knightandre said.

If you want to have both OS X and Windows on the same machine, your best bet is to get one of the new Intel chip Macs and Apple's program "Boot Camp." It lets you install Windows on one partition and keep OS X on the other. I did this to my roommate's laptop, it works pretty well, sometimes reboots for Windows don't have the desired effect, and there are also some issues with the audio drivers for Windows.

Also, I think there is something coming out in the next release of OS X to make Boot Camp built in? Not positive.
{name here}
knightandre wrote:
It is illegal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware.

Quote:
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This
License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software
available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. If you use Setup Assistant to transfer
software from one Apple-labeled computer to another Apple-labeled computer, please remember that continued use of the original
copy of the software may be prohibited once a copy has been transferred to another computer, unless you already have a licensed
copy of such software on both computers. You should check the relevant software license agreements for applicable terms and
conditions. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup
purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

I doubt Apple would allow PearPC to live for so long if they cared. Apple is still a company - money grubbing an greedy. I think that they really don't care as long as you don't pirate the software.
Xeniczone
Yeah I think the lisence is refering to installing it native. I wouldn't think that it would consider an Emulation.

Because you can legally buy a Mac OS X disk and install it through PearPC. but the only way to install MAC OS X on a biosed based computer is to have a hacked version which isn't really hacked other then some patches all the "hacked" version is, is a beta or developers version of mac os x which isn't restricted to the Apple firmware/Apple Computer. All that crap about someone making an emulation of the Apple Firmware is just that crap.

Quote:
doubt Apple would allow PearPC to live for so long if they cared. Apple is still a company - money grubbing an greedy. I think that they really don't care as long as you don't pirate the software.

Though it kind of does piss me off you would say something about that I can't because the Moderatiors have me under "Warning" or w/e for ranting on someone.

Apple isn't an quote" money grubbing and greedy" company. If they allowed anybody to install Mac OS on any machine they would have to expaned their support have hardware conflicts and probably loss their hardware company. They solo out Mac OS X for Apple computers only to try to avoid unstable software. As far as prices they are the same as any other computer. Apple just doesn't make low end computers so you don't see 300 dollar computers from apple. The Ipod is the same price as many other mp3 players of it's type. Though the Apple tv and iphone cost a little too much even to me the price will probably come doesn the origanal IPod was like 500 dollars as well.

Plus soloing out their hardware will make it easier on people who don't know that much about computers. Because you don't have to put a big list of specs. You just have to say O you need a QuickSilver G4 Powermac for this software to work else it may run slugish etc. It also makes it better for their software company. All of apples comptuers are 2 to 8 cores so making software that is compadibile of 1 core processor isn't needed. And all the software can be optimized to that specific configuration.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Apple isn't an quote" money grubbing and greedy" company.

Let's see...

• Apple stole from Xerox PARC, and they could have been sued for how similar their product was to it, but Xerox waited too long. Then, in addition to this, they turn around and sue Digital Research because their GUI looked to much like Mac OS.
  • The iPod is inferior to other MP3 players. They willingly sell and have success selling as substandard product, taking advantage of peoples stupidity because people know Apple. If they were truly not money grabbing, then they would either make a better product or inform others of superior products.
  • iPhone goes for the same reasons as above.
  • Apple doesn't give their money back - if they were truly generous, then they would give back to the Open Source community by donating to some large project that is not their own.
  • Apple releases Darwin, which with hope will "help" them switch to Apple products moreso than encourage open source development.
  • Apple until recently has been using hazardous chemicals in their machines(IIRC).

I'm not saying other companies are any better, I'm saying Apple is just as good as any of the other capitalistic companies out there.

Quote:
If they allowed anybody to install Mac OS on any machine they would have to expaned their support have hardware conflicts and probably loss their hardware company.

I see a more logical reason for this: Brand loyalty. Apple wants users to come back to them for all their computing needs, and the only way to do this is to lock the platform. The issue of hardware isn't really much of an issue - if the hardware company isn't going to put out decent drivers for the operating system don't support them, and warn low end hardware manufacturers that the system does not support this company. Eventually if they don't change they'll just shrivel up and die out as a company provided people aren't stupid enough to continually by unsupported cards.

Quote:
Plus soloing out their hardware will make it easier on people who don't know that much about computers. Because you don't have to put a big list of specs. You just have to say O you need a QuickSilver G4 Powermac for this software to work else it may run slugish etc

There are problems with this:
1. If you have a lot of computers, it ends up getting just as messy as specs on each piece of software.
2. The people that tuly need to know the specs are gamers, and gamers know about specs. Microsoft has just pumped up the requirements for their OS so much that it ends up being a good marker for other kinds of software all by itself.
3. Those who make their own PCs know the specs of their hardware. Why should they waste time cross checking because of the problems with aliterate(not illiterate) people.

Quote:
And all the software can be optimized to that specific configuration.

At this point programmers don't even have to worry about the hardware. The OS sorts that all out in conjunction with OpenGL, OpenAL, and VESA. Something like this would be true in the days of MS-DOS, where programmers had to program all the drivers themselves and it would be optimal if people would agree on software standards to give them what they need to make the best software they can. Add a little capitalism into the mix and you get the IBM PC standard so this software is working in a specific configuration. To some extent these standards are continued today, and with the help of standards like VESA, hardware compatibilty with modern hardware is of least concern.
Handyman
There is the OS X86 project (Google it)if you would like to patch a legit copy of OS X. There is a lot of information about the hardware that is compatible with OS X.

I am runing a dual-boot with WinXP Pro and OS X 10.4.8 jas SSE2 SSE3 on my system:

Pentium D 915 (OC'd 3.26 GHz)
ECS P4M890T-M2
Nvidia 7300GT
2Gb pc5300 DDR2
250GB PATA HDD
Generic soundcard with CMI8378

I have had OS X installed for a couple of weeks with out a shut down yet and it is still as fast as the day I installed it. Which is 5x as fast as windows.
Xeniczone
Quote:
I am runing a dual-boot with WinXP Pro and OS X 10.4.8 jas SSE2 SSE3 on my system:

Jas is one of the illegal copys of it. They say it's a emulated Apple firmware thats bull.

Quote:
I see a more logical reason for this: Brand loyalty. Apple wants users to come back to them for all their computing needs, and the only way to do this is to lock the platform. The issue of hardware isn't really much of an issue - if the hardware company isn't going to put out decent drivers for the operating system don't support them, and warn low end hardware manufacturers that the system does not support this company. Eventually if they don't change they'll just shrivel up and die out as a company provided people aren't stupid enough to continually by unsupported cards.

Thats the problem. Most of all the hardware out their IS bull crap. Low quality crap that makes conflits with the Operating system. Most of it is from China. though just about everything is from china.

If you pretty much buy everything name brand. Like Apple Chooses then hardware shouldn't be a problem. Apple uses, FoxConn motherboard. Not sure about hard drives or memory. Sony dvd/cd drives. which are all name brand.

What would be cool of apple to do is to make a Different lisence for mac os x just for bios based computers. Which a far price for this would be probably 400-500 dollars. Which is how much windows costs. and then do Apple certified product list of hardware. Similar to iPod accessories. If you look at some ipod accessories they say Apple certified product. Then just not offer next to no support for this lisence.

Quote:
There are problems with this:
1. If you have a lot of computers, it ends up getting just as messy as specs on each piece of software.
2. The people that tuly need to know the specs are gamers, and gamers know about specs. Microsoft has just pumped up the requirements for their OS so much that it ends up being a good marker for other kinds of software all by itself.
3. Those who make their own PCs know the specs of their hardware. Why should they waste time cross checking because of the problems with aliterate(not illiterate) people.

Not really.

People are confused about buying windows vista because it needs a crap lost of stuff. 1gig or more of memory all that stuff. All Apple is saying for Leapord is you need a G4 Apple or later.

and I know a bunch of people who aren't gamers but still enjoy buying some games like flight simulor and need for speed for their computer. Though usally if they aren't gamers they don't buy FPS but a bunch of simulators.
Handyman
Quote:
Jas is one of the illegal copys of it. They say it's a emulated Apple firmware thats bull.

It is not emulated it is a genuine copy for an intel mac that that I bought to upgrade my G3 ibook and G4 imac but it was not compatible with PPC.

I added the patches from jas to aid with hardware recognition. Most of the hardware is already compatible. The Via and intel chip sets work really well with mac software.

Quote:
If you pretty much buy everything name brand. Like Apple Chooses then hardware shouldn't be a problem. Apple uses, FoxConn motherboard. Not sure about hard drives or memory. Sony dvd/cd drives. which are all name brand.

My g3 ibook and g4 imac both have seagate HDD's and pioneer disk drives. I just replaced the superdrive in my imac with an oem pioneer superdrive with double layer write firmware..

Quote:
What would be cool of apple to do is to make a Different lisence for mac os x just for bios based computers. Which a far price for this would be probably 400-500 dollars. Which is how much windows costs. and then do Apple certified product list of hardware. Similar to iPod accessories. If you look at some ipod accessories they say Apple certified product. Then just not offer next to no support for this lisence.

I'll second that!
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:

Quote:

Thats the problem. Most of all the hardware out their IS bull crap.

Then, as I said, don't support it. If they don't take the initiative to make decent software then you shouldn't need to support the software. If the companies take the initiative to close off the company until it culls over or makes better software, then there wouldn't be this bad hardware because the hardware companies would be scared to go out of business.

Quote:

Not really.

People are confused about buying windows vista because it needs a crap lost of stuff. 1gig or more of memory all that stuff. All Apple is saying for Leapord is you need a G4 Apple or later.

and I know a bunch of people who aren't gamers but still enjoy buying some games like flight simulor and need for speed for their computer. Though usally if they aren't gamers they don't buy FPS but a bunch of simulators.

Say that you have 8 computers at any given time. After a few years, this would get just as confusing as if you put in the specs especially for new customers and if names change for your products, and previous products are phased out, it complicates matters further for just about everyone.