FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RAM does it have to be the same size?

vw_bugg
I have a laptop with 2 256mb of RAM giving me a total of 512. I would like to upgrad because i have been doing more labor intensive things slowing down my comp a lot. I am poor and am looking for the cheapest way to upgrade. If i have two sets of RAM do they have to be the same?

Can i just buy a 512 or 1gb and replace one of the 256 that i have? Or do i have to replace both of them?
badai
you can replace one with any size of RAM as long it's the same type (either DDR or DDR2). my laptop have 128M + 512M DDR. as a matter of fact, i cannot replace the 128M because it's built in the mobo.
redice
This depend on mother board. There is a limit of your the ram slot, some you must find what's your max limit of the mother board from the board's user manual. If it only support 512M ram size on single slot, you can install a 1G ram in it, but the system can only use 512M.
vw_bugg
redice wrote:
This depend on mother board. There is a limit of your the ram slot, some you must find what's your max limit of the mother board from the board's user manual. If it only support 512M ram size on single slot, you can install a 1G ram in it, but the system can only use 512M.

I beleive it was up to 1gb in each slot. That is what it was offered with but i choose the lower memory since it was like a 1-2 hundred dollar difference and i want the bigger hard drive and bigger screen instead.

So then if i buy a 1 gb and replace one of my 256. All will be fine?
1gb +256mb will run good?
Sunny
1 gb + 256 , in general sounds fine, but you should verify these 2 things

a) whats the maximum ram your motherboard can support as someone mentioned earlier, you can check technical doucments for that

b) Speed of the ram, like if you buy a 1 gb ram which runs @ 667 mhz but it will not work unless your motherboard supports it.
directing_druid
Some motherboards will require twin pairs of RAM. If you mix the sizes you may get what appears to be a memory leak. Always better keeping the pairs the same. Much more efficient anyway. AND you are trying to speed things up.
welshsteve
You should also check to make sure you buy the correct RAM i.e. DDR or DDR2. Your best bet is to go to www.crucial.com and use their memory checker
ssthanapati
badai wrote:
you can replace one with any size of RAM as long it's the same type (either DDR or DDR2). my laptop have 128M + 512M DDR. as a matter of fact, i cannot replace the 128M because it's built in the mobo.

correction

if u have ddr ram then u can install any ddr ram in its place (i.e. any capacity but of same type and speed)

If u have DDR2 then u have 2 change both of them and both of them have 2 be of same speed and capacity... Its a must as DDR2 work in pairs
DeiviD
ssthanapati wrote:
correction

if u have ddr ram then u can install any ddr ram in its place (i.e. any capacity but of same type and speed)
second correction

you can install faster ram, but it will run in the speed that is configured on your bios.

and my notebook doesn't detect 1gb sticks, just 512mb ones - i had to get that 1gb stick replaced for one of 512mb cause of that.
MeddlingMonk
When installing additional RAM (as far as I know), there are only two concerns:

A) the motherboard must support it (right type and size); and
B) it must match the existing DDR or DDR2 RAM - you can't have both DDR and DDR2 on the same board (even if it is a transitional board with slots for both).

If the newer RAM is faster than the older RAM and/or faster than what the motherboard is designed for, then it should slow down to the lowest common speed (ie. if it's a 667 in a board that only supports 533, then it should run at 533).
mystzero
To add on to the above information, make sure you buy a SO-DIMM as opposed to DIMM used in desktop motherboards.