FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

This could be you one day...

rheanna
I think it's kind of rude to just go around and destroy ones home. That's just sad. Least those cops have a nice warm home to go too...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dea71b1588
Jinx
I heard about something similar that happened in Richmond, VA about 5 or 6 years ago. There was a wooded area where some homeless families had set up tents and the police came in and cleared them all out with tear gas. I don't think they cut up the tents, though.
I did hear rumors that a number of them set up again in an empty area near the river, then the river flooded and some of them drowned, and the rest lost the little that they had.
It's really sad to see something like that. These people need help to get back on thier feet, they shouldn't be treated like criminals, they are just trying to live the best way they can.
budiman
Maybe the acts of the officer here sounded extremely rude. But it may be reasonable.

In my country, if the homeless sets up their house in your land, the office will not bother to do anything until you give them money. And this homeless will go extreme and claiming the land is theirs.
Hogwarts
It's biased, and possibly just cooked up out of something tiny. My reasoning for this is:

A) It's in St. Petersburg... Which is in Russia... Why do the "homeless" people speak English? I though homeless people generally had bad educations...
B) It's Fox. Period.

People should stop taking it out on people such as the police and fire fighters. They aren't part of some super-large-conspiracy working against you...
GSIS
Quote:
It's in St. Petersburg... Which is in Russia...

Nope. It's in Florida, USA.

Quote:
"This was the best alternative."

So what happened to helping to rehabilitate at least some of these people? Better to move them on. No doubt they'll be harassed and victimised until they leave the city and maybe even cross the state border and become someone else's problem.

Quote:
I'm sure there's more, much more, to come on this story.

I'm sure there is. It's a further indictment of the way the US treats it's most disadvantaged citizens.
Azmo
always sux to hear stuff like this Sad
GSIS
Azmo wrote:
always sux to hear stuff like this Sad

Unfortunately it's always the downtrodden masses that end up getting downtrodden some more. Sad

BTW - I have experienced the threat of homelessness. If it hadn't been for one of the very few people who stood by me I'd have been living in a tent, or a cardboard box, for a while.

It's all too easy to write these people off as worthless, or just think that it's 'their fault so why should I care'. The reality is that many of these people are where they are through illness, financial misfortune, relationship failure, neglect of military veterans by their own governments. Very few are there by choice.

All I ask, for these people, is that whenever you can give them a leg up. Even if it's only to buy them a coffee and a sandwich from time to time.
rheanna
That's what I do. I bought x-mas presents and , a turkey with some other ready made food, and brought coffee down to these homeless people on the highway (The 95) But when I got there they were gone. Sad

I try to help them as much as I can.
Soulfire
Is it against the law?

If yes, then the destruction was justified.

If not, I could still justify it because I am somewhat of a social darwanist. The poor people are poor for a reason, and the rich people are rich for a reason. Survival of the fittest, in a sense, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't help each other out.
southy
budiman wrote:
Maybe the acts of the officer here sounded extremely rude. But it may be reasonable.

In my country, if the homeless sets up their house in your land, the office will not bother to do anything until you give them money. And this homeless will go extreme and claiming the land is theirs.

There is a huge difference between being just and being reasonable. If they were reasonable, they would not have cut down the tents, they would have asked them to move, or tell them off, or help them somewhere else or even purchase them better equipment. Now, by being just -- yes they cut down the tents. What a horrible thing to do --- especially to homeless people. And the sad part is, them being homeless, they can't do anything about it.