FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless and Starcraft

hofodomo01
I'm just curious.

I'm connected to the internet via wireless netgear router, and for the most part, this connection is generally pretty good.

Now, I'm a starcraft fan, and I like to get a game in every now and then. When I play on bnet, and there's only TWO people total (myself included), everything runs fine. But if there's MORE THAN TWO in a game, then there is just unimaginable lag. I also play Diablo 2 on bnet, and it works fine either way (so it's probably not bnet's problem).

I don't have any firewalls installed, etc...I'm wondering, is this just a problem with my router, or is this just "how it is"? Because other online games work fine with a large number of players (i.e. Warcraft III on bnet)...is something just up with starcraft?

ADDITIONAL INFO
i have a netgear wgt624 router. I've searched this on google a little, but when they started using more technical terms, I really just got lost...

I've also been to portfoward.com, and I tried messing with some settings (i really wasn't sure what to do here).

Basically, I'm just wondering has anybody else had problems like this with starcraft, and what did you guys do to fix it?
vw_bugg
Is it EVERY time there is more than two total? It might just be one of your opponents lagging. I never have any problems with bnet.
hofodomo01
Yes, every single game I join when I'm connected through my router, wireless nor not.

Starcraft is fine when I connect directly to my cable modem, and all other online games I have are fine when I connect via router.

Confounded...

But as I said before, I've tried to look up solutions--the problem was really that I didn't understand what the solutions were "talking about"...
vw_bugg
Now that i remember i think i had that problem with my older router back when i played all the time.

Try setting up a port for starcraft on your router.
Read this to find out what i am talking about. I remember it working for me.
http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p
hofodomo01
Okay, thanks, it works now.

You were very helpful!