FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Downtime as usual..

Scorpio
Well, I really am not interested in starting another topic regarding this, but apache has been down for about 45 mins now.

What I am wondering is "will this ever stop"? Why should apache be down for sometime every few hours or so?

A 5 min downtime is OK i guess. But 45 mins is too much especially when it coincides with the time I get to access my site.

Is there any permanent solution to this?
What causes this problem?

And please do not shut this thread and direct me to the server status page. I know what it is, thank you very much.
tidruG
Well, currently, the only recurring problem for the server is the hourly Apache restart, which lasts only for about a minute or two at a time. The 45 minute downtime today was probably caused by something else, and I have no clue what could have caused it... we'll wait for Bondings to see if he has any news about this.
Bondings
The server/Apache was indeed down when you posted. All I know is that the server was restarted by the support (which are monitoring it) 12-13 hours ago, and that fixed the problem.

About this happening regularly, that is not true. It used to be much worse, but it's already much better now. This was the only outage (> 5 min) for the last few weeks.

HostTracker is listing 99.63% uptime for this month. ( http://host-tracker.com/web-site-monitoring-stats/222372/ ) I know it can be better, but it's not easy to achieve.
Scorpio
I do understand that there are certain problems. The question is this: Why does server 2 have to undergo the most problems? Because new accounts are added to it? But even in paid hosts, shared servers have new accounts added to it all the time, but if such downtime occurs not many people would remain there.

If the problem is with the server, would it not be possible for you to ask the officials at the datacenter to rectify this problem once and for all>?
swizzy
Its not only due to addition of new accounts, some dorks may be running very very heavy duty scripts and asking apache to handle that is too much, there was another discussion on the frequent downtimes, where bondings himself confirmed that the downtimes were due to the heavy scripts run by some members
Bondings
Scorpio, to give an example, a lot of problems are caused by websites being abused/hacked.

Let's say there are 5-6 times (not the actual number) more accounts on that server, there is also 5-6 times more chance for a website to be hacked. Especially that there isn't much change to the websites on server 1, while on the new accounts on server 2, there is.
Blaster
Hmm i say that we totaly like wipe out server two and have it where we alert all the users and make them make backups and all. Then have it just where we all have to request hosting again. Sure its going to take a while and you should do it when all the account crators arn't really busy and all and maybe promote some other mods to account creator possion. Yes its going to be work and yes it might suck but lets face it it should stop all of this stuff.
Scorpio
Bondings wrote:
Scorpio, to give an example, a lot of problems are caused by websites being abused/hacked.

Let's say there are 5-6 times (not the actual number) more accounts on that server, there is also 5-6 times more chance for a website to be hacked. Especially that there isn't much change to the websites on server 1, while on the new accounts on server 2, there is.

Is there any chance that Server 2 will run out of space soon... I mean, server 1 lasted hardly a year after frihost started before it was filled up... Now its more than a year and server 2 is going on..
pashmina
Blaster wrote:
Hmm i say that we totaly like wipe out server two and have it where we alert all the users and make them make backups and all. Then have it just where we all have to request hosting again. Sure its going to take a while and you should do it when all the account crators arn't really busy and all and maybe promote some other mods to account creator possion. Yes its going to be work and yes it might suck but lets face it it should stop all of this stuff.
Its not easy as you think..
Scorpio wrote:
Is there any chance that Server 2 will run out of space soon... I mean, server 1 lasted hardly a year after frihost started before it was filled up... Now its more than a year and server 2 is going on..
I think a server has about 6 terabytes of space not sure. but according to joomla control panel's file manager this server has got got Free: 1.41 GB free space left. must be true.. not sure. The other paid server which I use says that it has Free: 468.89 GB free space left..
Bondings
It's not about space on the hard disk(s), but about the server load. And I think the combination of this forum and cPanel causes it to be high on server 1.
gnomme
and what about webmail, the problem with sending mails remains and no one gives an defenitive answer!
If there is no solution why dont you say it!? Is one of the most important fixtures of this hosting and no one resolves the error
Blaster
pashmina wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Its not easy as you think..

Oh i understand that but my thing is that it should keep everyone happy even though it would take time... I'm sure that there are staff members that would do this and if worse came to worse and you need it i could even help it out.
reddishblue
Blaster wrote:
I'm sure that there are staff members that would do this and if worse came to worse and you need it i could even help it out.

Which is the same offer you always state until Vrthramax comes and sorts you out, it is not required, however I do agree with your proposal, except what happens when the kid who won't be on the warning week (or whatever length of time) finds out his site is gone and he has no backup.
gnomme
gnomme wrote:
and what about webmail, the problem with sending mails remains and no one gives an defenitive answer!
If there is no solution why dont you say it!? Is one of the most important fixtures of this hosting and no one resolves the error

bondings...I am still waiting for your response!!
Bondings
gnomme wrote:
gnomme wrote:

I'll try to look at it in a few days. These kind of things usually take quite a while to solve unfortunately.
gnomme
Bondings wrote:
gnomme wrote:
gnomme wrote:

I'll try to look at it in a few days. These kind of things usually take quite a while to solve unfortunately.

do that please...it passed months allready...
mikethm
Really Bondings... it would really be great if the Apache reset issue could be sorted out. At the moment, my frihost account is dormant due this issue. Not that frihost isn't great for a free host but solving the reset problem would propel you dudes to awesome free host. Some of us cringe at the thought that the visitor would just visit on the dot of the hour when the server is being resetted. A proper server should be up for at least weeks without resets no?
ChrisCh
Since a few hours ago, Apache keeps restarting (much more frequently - not just on the hour). Is Bondings doing maintenance, or is the server just playing up more than usual??
Bondings
ChrisCh wrote:
Since a few hours ago, Apache keeps restarting (much more frequently - not just on the hour). Is Bondings doing maintenance, or is the server just playing up more than usual??

I was removing/changing quite a few accounts the last hour(s), so maybe that was what you noticed. Normally each time Apache and/or other services are restarted to reflect the new configuration.