FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Printer Companies Profits ??

theem
what is the deal with the home printer scams. I went to get some ink for my 6 month old lexmark printer and the 2 cartridges were $66.00. So I look at the printers sitting next to the ink and bought a lexmark copier/printer/photo printer for $55.00. Now the 6 mo printer is in the trash.
Do the printer companies make more profit on new printers than the ink or something? Rolling Eyes
So much for conserving resources.
MYP415
Yes, the printer companies make most of their money from cartridge sales, not the actual printer itself (because many people don't buy a new printer every time like you did). These companies often lose money on the printer itself but quickly remake it in cartridges. It reminds me of the cell phone business, where many companies give free phones (which costs them money obviously) but they make money through contracts which you need to get the free phone.
{name here}
theem wrote:
what is the deal with the home printer scams. I went to get some ink for my 6 month old lexmark printer and the 2 cartridges were $66.00. So I look at the printers sitting next to the ink and bought a lexmark copier/printer/photo printer for $55.00. Now the 6 mo printer is in the trash.
Do the printer companies make more profit on new printers than the ink or something? Rolling Eyes

Most printers suck IMO, especially those that usually come bundled with your PCs. If you want a decent printer you need to go for a laser printer. I bought a HP Laserjet 6L printer 10 years ago and I still use it to this day. My other printers I bought(which were not laser printers) recently went to trash within a few months - they run out of ink too fast, and other various problems have popped up. For example, after a while one of these printers started to print exclusively in blue, and the other takes a ton more time to initialize than my 6L, a printer that is roughly 9 years older than it.
hack_man_
Yes, printers are cheap because the printer companies make their money from cartridge sales. If a printer is more expensive, it will be to pay for the extra parts like: scanners, card readers, fax machines, network cards, etc. as there do not have consumables.

Inkjets have a way shorter life-span when compared to lasers. The problem is that Lasers are only seen as for the office nowadays, but this is changing. The problem is that laser printers are so big and bulky that they don't have anything that is particularly useful for home use. They usually don't have things like scanners, faxes, etc. built in.

I love laser printers because of their reliability, but the toner is uber expensive!
nilsmo
There are other stores where they sell non-official ink cartridges for a much lower price. I buy from Staples ink cartridges for a fraction of the price if I had bought them from Epson, the maker of my printer. When I put in the ink cartridges the printer always warns me "Warning: These ink cartridges are unofficial" but they work just as well, if not better.
BosLady
theem wrote:

I did the same thing and went through about 10 printers in a year. The new printer with the new ink cartridges in the box were cheaper than buying the ink alone. Crazy!!

Then when I was in the market for a new printer, I went to the ink section and picked out the most inexpensive black and color cartriges, looked on the boxes to find out which printers they were compatable with. I bought one of the printers on the ink cartridge box. Now I only pay 5.99 for black ink evertime I run out.

I would not suggest buying generic ink either. Everytime I do, my print quality goes down the tubes. It is a waste.