FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lets make our mother happy :D

Snakez
Ive just been reading a post which is explaining about the "badness" of drinking Pepsi and coke and i was thinking, why not give up for a month to see how it goes? if you agree with me i will be truly honoured to speak with you as i hate coca-cola and pepsi because they are very, i mean very bad for you.

Some of the Harmful effects Fizzy drinks cause:

--Rotting teeth

--Diet drinks can cause cancer

ok, there's 2 lol but REMEMBER they are addictive and are classed as drugs so i think you should only drink them in moderation (can every month) for your health and also the most important of all...

To make your mothers happy Laughing
a.Bird
Haha, I already don't drink them because you know what? I actually gave them up for a month myself and it wasn't hard, I just drank fruit juice and water instead and if I really needed something for my sweet tooth, I'd nibble a little bit on a piece of dark chocolate. After the month, I had no craving for soda and now when I see people drinking it, I begin to feel bad for them and what they are doing to themselves. So I know you can do it and as simple as this process sounds, you may very well change your life for the better and you'll see how you do not need to drink soda to be happy.

So even though I don't drink it now, I am still in this with you and know you can do it because you've already taken the first step. Good luck! Mr. Green
Macko112
Oh no! Caffeine is a drug! Run for the hills!

In all seriousness, be quiet. Soft drinks are drinks. People enjoy them. Sure the sugar isn't good for your teeth, and the caffeine isn't good for you heart. But it's a freaking soft drink and it tastes good. God forbid I die at 90 instead of 100. That may cut down on time I could be riding my Harley and banging virgins. I drink one to three a day, not because I'm addicted and crave them, but because water is boring and juice sucks.

You make it sound as if soft drinks can be compared to cigarettes, chewing tobacco, cocaine, etc. I can agree with you that the side affects of those outweigh the joy of doing them, but for soft drinks, seriously... come on.

Hell, you only live once. I think I'm going to live my life on the edge and drink sodas! But don't tell my mother.

P.S. Dr. Pepper is the best soft drink. Coke and Pepsi have a boring taste. Its all about that DP, Sunkist, Cherry Coke, Sprite, and of course the discontinued Surge.
HoboPelican
Macko112 wrote:
Oh no! Caffeine is a drug! Run for the hills!

LOL. Oh, yes! Soda will kill you and make you ugly and make you fart and cause hideous boils to appear on your face and privates.... Laughing

I've been arguing this for so long it is silly. These people argue with myth, twisted facts and personal bias to try to force their own world view on others. If it was as bad as they say it is, half of America would be toothless and hospitalized.

I drink Diet Coke. I've done it for decades. I'm healthy (my Doc thinks so too!) and I enjoy it. But I don't insist that YOU should drink it. Why do people feel such a need to coerce others to be like them. Are they lonely and want more people to join their club? Wink

BTW- I do occasionally go a week or two without it. Usually when backpacking, but sometimes just to prove the caffeine is not an issue for me. It is not hard to do, but I sure do love that first one after coming off the trail! Very Happy

Please, quit wasting time trying to make others be like you and go do something worthwhile.
ThornsOfSorrow
I'm sure you have good intentions, but what's the point of being cautious about everything you do in life? All I ever hear is "this causes cancer" and "that causes cancer". Hell, soon someone will start talking about how being outdoors too much causes cancer. To get to the point: Reducing or eliminating every little thing that causes harm to a person will only make one's life miserable. For example: I just bought a whole bunch of paint supplies with a ton of warnings about them causing nausea, headaches, confusion, cancer, etc. But am I going to stop doing something I love just because it's potentially dangerous? Nope. There wouldn't be a point, since it would just make me miserable. I know that's a different situation than drinking soda, but I think it gets the point across. I like soda, so I'm going to drink it.
a.Bird
I don't see what the problem is. If you don't want to give up soft drinks for a month, then don't. No one is attacking you personally if you decide to drink soda. In fact, if you decide to drink soda for the rest of your life, this thread really doesn't concern you.
reddishblue
a.Bird wrote:
I don't see what the problem is. If you don't want to give up soft drinks for a month, then don't. No one is attacking you personally if you decide to drink soda. In fact, if you decide to drink soda for the rest of your life, this thread really doesn't concern you.

I believe forums in general are for people to discuss their opinions, never tell them not to be concerned.
Anyway if the first poster is correct then I have cancer, no teeth and my mother doesn't love me, methinks this is a bit blown out of proportion.
Some people say I use the computer too much, that its bad for my eyes, those people also say that the cold gives you the common cold, rather then germs.
Nobody can tell me how to live my life, especially those who don't have a clue on the matter, like the above poster for example.
Snakez
You know.. actually, you have completelly brain-washed me, I now believe toin living my own life and have fun, but not too much fun, and i would like to say, thatnkyou for all your posts and especially to reddishblue

and i will be very happy to hear your comments on this.
ThornsOfSorrow
Laughing All I have to say is, "Good for you". There's no point in living life if you're always being too cautious about everything you do.

@a.bird: I'm not sure whether your post was directed at me (since mine is directly above yours) or everyone who posted, but I don't think anyone feels like they're been attacked by the original poster. As reddishblue already stated, we were just sharing opinions. If you don't like drinking soda, that's fine; I was only saying that being overly cautious can be more harmful than helpful.
a.Bird
I apologize to anyone whose toes feel stepped on by me, as I may have been too careless with my words. I don't mean to raise tensions or make anyone feel as though either they or their opinions are being attacked. My only concern is that the thread, as I believe, was created less to debate whether or not giving up soda for a month is a reasonable idea but more to gain support from people who do agree. I feel that some posts were unnecessary and somewhat counterproductive to the seeming focus of this thread. Therefore, I was frustrated and almost bewildered that anyone would debate this issue. I would like to say that I feel there is some etiquette involved in debate, including when it should take place but if you feel it is necessary to argue against giving up soft drinks for one month in a thread that is meant to support such a feat, then do as you may. Once again, my apologies for any tension that I provoked.
HoboPelican
a.Bird wrote:
... My only concern is that the thread, as I believe, was created less to debate whether or not giving up soda for a month is a reasonable idea but more to gain support from people who do agree. ...

If people want to give it up, more power to them. But, the original poster asked:
Quote:
why not give up for a month to see how it goes?

I read that as a question, "Why not?". Well, we've said why not. Sorry if it was supposed to be a topic where no disagreement was allowed. Wink
Seiji
I could easily go a month without drinking soda without even knowing it. I probably have before. Soda has really never been addictive to me. The last soft drink I had was probably a week ago so I don't drink it very often. If only I could go a month without any chocolate....
Davidgr1200
I stopped drinking cola because my dentist said that it was not good for my teeth - I started drinking orange juice instead.
I stopped drinking orange juice because my dentist said that it was not good for my teeth - I started drinking water instead.
One day when I was drinking a glass of water one of my fillings fell out.

This is a true story and you can draw your own conclusions!
Zruch
I heard that if you put a meat in cola, meat will be eroded in two days.
But I still drink soda sometimes - a never worry about food.
HoboPelican
Zruch wrote:

Seems unlikely, but I never tried that. I hate wasting meat! Most sodas are less acidic than the stomach and they lack the enzymes that are instrumental in breaking down food in the gut. But that is the sort of "fact" that gets thrown around. Even if true, what does it prove?

I don't know, it just seems like everyone wants the world to believe that THEY know what is good for everyone else. Meat is bad for you, dairy products are bad for you, soda is bad for you, bleached four is bad for you, chocolate is bad for you, alcohol is bad for you. I get so sick of holier-than-thou types telling us that we are going to kill ourselves because our lifestyle is not like theirs. If you listened to all of them, you would starve. I really believe (BELIEVE, not KNOW) that a nice, varied diet is probably one of the healthiest things you can do. But that is just me. I want to enjoy my life and give my taste buds a little of everything Wink If that knocks of 5 minutes or 5 years off of my life, well, it is worth it, to me.

But more to the point of this topic, I refuse to be a sheeple. If I feel the need to lay off a product or an activity, I will do it alone and not wait for a support group to form.
reddishblue
Well said Hobo Pelican, it is natural for people to try to force their own life style on others, why, its happening as we speak in Iraq, the best bet is to attempt to ignore such people and tell them to their face your opinions.
Thats what I believe works best.
Of course often such people will not listen...in fact, heck, they almost never listen...just try to avoid such people and you will be fine
Hopefully...
standready
HoboPelican wrote:
Why do people feel such a need to coerce others to be like them. Are they lonely and want more people to join their club? Wink

Please, quit wasting time trying to make others be like you and go do something worthwhile.

Ask the ad execs? They should know the answer since they overpay celebs to pitch products. I say "Be yourself !".

BTW: I rarely drink sodas.
soulman
Lucky, I love juice and tea drink.

I barely drink soda except have party with my friends. My stomach feel so terrible like it's gonna blow.
Macko112
HoboPelican wrote:
Most sodas are less acidic than the stomach and they lack the enzymes that are instrumental in breaking down food in the gut.

What the hell kind of sodas are more acidic than stomach acid?!
gtherockgod
I've thought about giving up soda but its ****** hard when its my parents who buy it, and then they keep it in the fridge next to the computer. Haha, its literally like an arm's length away from me right now.
HoboPelican
Macko112 wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
Most sodas are less acidic than the stomach and they lack the enzymes that are instrumental in breaking down food in the gut.

What the hell kind of sodas are more acidic than stomach acid?!

I don't know of any. Maybe there aren't any, but I didn't want to say that unless I knew it was a fact. I checked on a number of different sodas, so I only felt I could say "most" relatively safely.
Vrythramax
Zruch wrote:

I saw them try that on "MythBusters" (a Discovery channel program), and it turned out to be just as stated....a myth.

But they did prove that it cleans chrome better than the leading chrome polish.

(keep that in mind HoboPelican....the warm wheather is coming and my vette will need detailing....again.) Laughing
riv_
I was totally hooked on Cola. Life is busy and I can't drink coffee, so I always got my caffeine from Coke or Pepsi.
But I decided back n January it was time to quit.
I feel so much better!
I agree that you can't worry about every little thing in life, but the amount of caffeine and sugar in that stuff is brutal!
I'm glad I don't need it anymore!
funnyerror
I really get what you're saying and all, but I love coke. I think I'll do my chores to make her happy instead.

-FE
coolclay
I've never drank soda, I hate the carbonation it burns my mouth, and throat. I am glad I never actually enjoyed drinking it, and then had to stop I never liked it in the first place. It makes stopping much easier, kinda like not smoking.
vinx_18
I definitely agree... Softdrinks are certainly bad to our health. I read some articles explaining about its defects. But I have nothing to worry, I've not drink too much of it because I'm an athletic man and we were train not to drink any soda for our stamina.
Kanoga
I think soda is canned CRAP!
Not because it's bad for your health (or not, apparently) but because it tastes so horrible....and the fizziness...how can people drink that? Sad
*Drinks water*
jynxanims
Soda is delicious. The fresh cold taste of it...man, I want a coke right now. It's funny, because my favorite soda was Mountain Dew (and coke, always Coke), now its Diet Mountain Dew. Not because its diet, but because it tastes better. Diet Dew is the best. (and Coke, Coke is awesome too)
Vrythramax
jynxanims wrote:
Soda is delicious. The fresh cold taste of it...man, I want a coke right now. It's funny, because my favorite soda was Mountain Dew (and coke, always Coke), now its Diet Mountain Dew. Not because its diet, but because it tastes better. Diet Dew is the best. (and Coke, Coke is awesome too)

I think I am in love.

j/k of course.
frozenhead
A noble deed for us to make our Mother happy the fact that they are the most strongest people (emotionally) on earth.

Good you brought up this topic.
Wink
Pilgrymm
diet soda tastes like crap, i can't imagine why anyone would enjoy drinking it. drink water. like me. mmmm water.

my fiance says the same thing, "water is boring" but it is better for you thank drinking soda or energy drinks or stuff like gatorade which is really just water, corn syrup and nasty flavorings.