FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

www.newgengamers.com

giantsquid
www.newgengamers.com is a new site still in its infancy. Come and get an account and watch as the 8 staff members turn it into the leading video game entertainment site on the internet.

Thank you.
undoweb
Yes, its a cool idea but I don`t like the design that much becouse its big and darky!
OutwardBound
Pretty interesting! Your web talks about games, and games are what people and teenagers love!
You've mentioned that there are 8 staffs controlling over the web, is it true? If yes, it will be pretty cool and solid that your web will have a good future.
Another question is it if you've thought of putting adsense to higher your revenue?
ncwdavid
I like the layout and the design. Very very nice and it loads very fast compared to some gaming sites a bit like yours that are just 99% images which takes along time to load. I little thing that caught my eye was the "You are here: Home" I just didnt like it and it made the page look bad for me. Just that little thing. Maybe if you leave it there just a different font but good work.
giantsquid
Well, to shed some light on some things:

First a big thank you to all that took a look at it.

Second it is in it's infancy. What you see now is FAR from how it will look when it is done. Even with 8 staff members, it is hard just to pump out content, let alone everyones other obligations(jobs, schooling, etc...)

We have some great flash, PHP, Ajax, and Javascript extensions we'll be "plugging" into the site over the next few weeks.

One thing I like about the site, is that we set it up fast and opened up signups early. So people can start signing up now and watch the site grow, and also be a part of that by writing to us, and participating in the various events we hold.

I will tell you this. We all decided on a dark scheme with shades of green to blue to almost purple in places. We also have some great eyecandy going up soon as well as a total new module layout being implemented as soon as we can buy it, which should be by next week hopefully.

I'm not a huge gamer. More of a huge writer that plays games. I can tell you, after meeting these guys, they are serious to make this big. They have the desire, ambition, and as long as their enthusiasm stays, I have no doubt they'll turn this into something BIG.

Thank you again for visiting the site. www.newgengamers.com
benjad
good content + appealing layout = good!

Keep developing it. this looks professional, and could quite possibly have a future.
Snakez
I highly recomend you make CSS (counter strike:source) section and some Halo sections.

Because...

Those are the 2 most popular games i know of and they are very popular amongst everybody else
warallthetm
Good idea/content, but the template looks too much like one of those generaeric nuke or joomla templates you know?
giantsquid
Thank you everyone. Or Arigatou miina-san.

Yes, we desperately need to throw up some Halo. I'm not a Counterstrike man, but as it turns out, I have a roommate who plays it non-stop. Are one web designer is working on implementing Halo tags into the site right now.

We are pumping out content as fast as we can, and working on the backend of the site a lot.

Like I said, the layout will change drastically. I am personally helping with the aesthetics of the site and really want it to look good.

We're currently having a little trouble with our menu plugin, but we have a great graphic designer making us original buttons, backgrounds and art.

Again, we're going for a dark color scheme. We haven't pinpointed every exact color, but right now we're thinking of an army type green BG a light tan for text links, white for regular text with a standard font like ariel. Probably a gradient 3D button menu with a glowing mouse-over. And much more...

It's not so much of what we'll put on it, at this point, but what to put up first. We are going to put up so much more than you see right now, but it's a lot of work for us. We are persistent though, so it all will be coming eventually.

As before, thanks for the great comments. And sign up if you haven't yet
-Jeremy
www.newgengamers.com
Snakez
If you want ill make you a few renders for halp? or even some sigs ect and a title picture?

- Using PhotoshopCS2

It wont be amazing but i can try my bets
giantsquid
Snakez wrote:
If you want ill make you a few renders for halp? or even some sigs ect and a title picture?

- Using PhotoshopCS2

It wont be amazing but i can try my bets

Wow, thanks for your offer to help. If you would like, by all means, send some samples, and I can take them to our meeting on Tuesday.

-Jeremy
DandDer
it feels crammed, very crammed. Also you might want to jack an image from a next gen game (killzone 2 comes to mind first) and use those in some graphics. That way it will be clear from the getgo that this is a gaming site.
pashmina
joomla site rocks I just made http://globalgamings.com/main/
the width is too wide, so you might consider decreasing the wide
giantsquid
Hey pashmina,
I was checking out your site, and I really like your left vertical menu. I was wondering how you made that? Did you use a plugin? I've never seen a menu like that before, for Joomla.
Sincerely,
-Jeremy
pashmina
Hello, The menu has been there with the templates, I didn't make them with any plugins. But if you want to make a impressive menu there is a module called the Trans menu module. You could give that module a try..
giantsquid
pashmina wrote:
Hello, The menu has been there with the templates, I didn't make them with any plugins. But if you want to make a impressive menu there is a module called the Trans menu module. You could give that module a try..

It's funny that you mention Transmenu because that's what we got:) We'll probably be using it, at least until we can afford to buy this SWmenu system that looks amazing.

Today I just got a terrific Flash rotator(like you see on the front page of sites like Cnet, gamespot, and IGN). It's soooo customizable. We can do anything with it, so that's going to add a lot of eyecandy to the front page and any other pages we use it on.

We also got the more important layout plugin we've been waiting for. It's pretty versatile-in some ways complex, but in other ways it's easy. This is going to drastically change the look and feel of the entire site. This is what we're using to really make the site professional looking. We'll be playing around and learning what we can do with it over the next few weeks.

We also just added a great forum system/community builder. So the site has become really interactive with members now. So sign up and leave us your two cents in the forums.

Expect some major changes. As always, I really appreciate any advice or comments. So join the site and have fun with us.

-Jeremy
www.newgengamers.com
ssthanapati
Hey nice site dude.

Add sme addons of Flight Simulator X if possible
pashmina
Hmm... I like your flash rotator, I think I will put them on to my site too..
can you give me the link to the download link to that module
giantsquid
pashmina wrote:
Hmm... I like your flash rotator, I think I will put them on to my site too..
can you give me the link to the download link to that module

We're using the JoomlaWorks Frontpage slideshow Flash rotator. It's amazing what you can do with this thing. It costs some money, but I highly recommend it.

http://demo.joomlaworks.gr/
pashmina
Thanks for the address. One note to you, while accessing your site some times the browser gets stuck for about 10 seconds, it has happened several times. Any idea what is causing this problem?
giantsquid
pashmina wrote:
Thanks for the address. One note to you, while accessing your site some times the browser gets stuck for about 10 seconds, it has happened several times. Any idea what is causing this problem?

Yes, I am not positive, but I think it's the Java applet we have running. We're taking it down, especially now that we have the rotator. You should see much better load times, after we make the change.

Java applets are really hard on servers(have you ever waited for a java game to load?), but we will be taking care of this. We are still playing with our new layout designs as well as our new shiney forum and community builder.

You can sign up and upload a picture for your account now, as well as fill in some profile info. We have synced the community builder with the forums. So members who have already signed into the site, won't have to sign into the forums separately. All the game pics also let you give up to a 5 star rating and let's you comment as well.

One last note, Zoa(our resident graphics guru) is having fun redesigning the forums, so expect the look of them to change...a lot:)

www.newgengamers.com
pashmina
Yep its hanged again.. Anyway I have also got the slideshow viewer, and its just awesome component. I will be adding them on the first page very soon. And I am having a problem with smf + community builder, do you know how to fix them?
giantsquid
pashmina wrote:
Yep its hanged again.. Anyway I have also got the slideshow viewer, and its just awesome component. I will be adding them on the first page very soon. And I am having a problem with smf + community builder, do you know how to fix them?

We're using SMF+Community Builder without any problems. Unfortunately, my colleague Ron set that up on the site. I haven't had a chance to meet up with him and learn about it.
pashmina
Let me know if your friend can help me out with this problem.
Thank you
giantsquid
Pashmina>I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you about smf+CB, but I know nothing of that and it would be really difficult to relay the details of that info without knowing something of it.

I'm hoping you already have it working. Let me know?

We added Jom Comment and have it running. As of now, you can comment on content from almost every category of the site. We still are just using the default template for the system, but we plan on creating a smoking template. Check it out and comment on some articles/reviews.

Thanks again for all the great insight and helpful tips. We are really excited about this HUGE, and somewhat tiring endeavor, but thanks to communities like this, we keep our stamina and hopes up.

Sincerely,
-Jeremy
pashmina
Its ok i have used the other forum, and i haven't touched my globalgamings site for weeks now
I am working on http://funnyemails.uni.cc/ and i have put the jom comment too. its awesome.

and i think you should stop putting the javascript applet on your site because its slowing/hanging the browser down