FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SQL vs mySQL

Pryme8
can someone please explain to me the differeances between mySQL and SQL?
ncwdavid
Sql = The language that is used to send certain queries like INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE etc to the the mysql server.

MySql = It's kind of like a database engine that takes the Sql query and reads it and runs the query in the database to get back out the data you were looking for.
Pryme8
so you need mysql to use SQL?
badai
sql is a programming language to use with any database system. not only mysql, there are hundreds more.

mysql is one of the database system.

you need sql to use mysql. like u need to use C to program in Turbo C.
mariohs
SQL is the acronym for Structured Query Language. It's a common and the most popular language while dealing with databases - queries, updates, deletes and inserts. MySQL is a database engine, like Oracle, DB2, PostgreSQL, MSSQL Server, Firebird, etc...

To retrieve, update, delete or insert records in any of these databases, you should use SQL.

For example:
Code:
select column1, column2 from table1

This is an SQL code and should retrieve column1 and column2 values from table1, and this do not depend on the database engine used.

Of course there are some little differences between the SQL used in different database engines, but the main thing is always the same.

Hope you understood.
Pryme8
yha I understand SQL very well, I was just confused to on what mysql was, I was only aware of VBasic and Access for the most part...

you have all struck my interest in learning mysql now...
ammonkc
MySQL is just an opensource variation of SQL. SQL stands for Structured Query Language and mysql is just one variation of it. there are many other implementations of it. MS SQL, Postgres, etc...
Personally I prefer MySQL over the rest because its opensource and really well supported.
blk3
SQL stands for Standard Query Language or as others say Structured Query Language. It is what is used in mySQL for inserting updating etc. records. mySQL is a kind of database something like Access is a kind of database.