FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 6.10 video card

pluto
I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my E-machine T6528 with a nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU video card. Everything seems to be working, with the exception of the 'hard on the eyes' screen. The text appears to be a bit blurry, and the scroll bar is slow and jittery. I have a LCD monitor and adjusted the font to (LCD), but I'm only given 1 option for resolution and that is 76Hz. Is this a driver issue with my video card? Any ideas or suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thank you
yjwong
I'm not sure, but maybe you can post a screenshot? If the screenshot doesn't have any visible problems, you might want to use a camera and take a picture. I can't really visualize what you are talking about.

However, screen corruption issues shouldn't happen so frequently on nVidia GPUs. So I think that shouldn't be an issue of screen corruption. Another point to note, the fonts on Linux won't look the same as Windows (e.g. Tahoma on Linux is largely different from Tahoma in Windows). This has got to do with the anti-aliasing and font-hinting technologies.
pluto
I think the problem is solved. I installed the NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver from Synaptic, and I can now at least read the screen without feeling sick to my stomach. I think my eyes will take a little adjusting to the font differences between Windows and Linux.

Thanks for the help! Very Happy