FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dual Boot Screen XP & Vista

asianwannabe999
Does anyone know of a software that can install a better gui to replace the black and white one that loads up when you have vista and xp installed?

I've heard of this one, but its buggy apparently:
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Suggestions would be appreciated. Razz
TheGeek
Why do you want a "prettier" interface for the bootloader? I suppose there are some but personally its probably more work than it is worth to get it working like most graphical modifications by third parties under windows.
rheanna
Becareful what you choose..You want the one that loads. Not the one that may or may not loads just because it's better looking. ;o)

You might choose the right one or the wrong one that will give you more problems. Use at your discretion.
carlospro7
just stick with what you have, all a boot loader needs to do is boot up a system. Like someone else said, probably more work that it is worth, and no i have not heard of any other boot loaders for windows. I have GRUB, but that's because I run linux and windows on the same computer.
asianwannabe999
Actually I was wondering about this because my boot screen autoloads Vista after 3 seconds. Do you know if I can change this autoload time? That would do as well. Thanks.
shenyl
I am still waiting for my Vista to arrive. Under XP it is found in My Computer -> RC properties -> and you can find Advanced tab and then the Startup and Recovery Settings.

Maybe someone familiar with Vista could help on this.

With regards.
dac_nip
I suggest to stick to your own. In Linux, GRUB or LILO you can easily change these settings, all you need are templates. I don't know with the master boot loader of windows. Like everyone said, go for the functionality instead of the design. It might make your system unstable if you try Very Happy
Bones
asianwannabe999 wrote:
Actually I was wondering about this because my boot screen autoloads Vista after 3 seconds. Do you know if I can change this autoload time? That would do as well. Thanks.

Open an elevated command prompt in Vista and type bcdedit /timeout 15
Where 15 is the number of seconds you want the boot menu to hang out

If you do not know what I mean by 'elevated' command promtpt, then click Start and type cmd
You will see an icon appear for command prompt appear near the upper left corner of the start menu. Right click this icon and select 'run as admin'
shenyl
Quote:
Open an elevated command prompt in Vista and type bcdedit /timeout 15
Where 15 is the number of seconds you want the boot menu to hang out

Hello Bones, seem a step backward from Win XP, isn't a GUI approach to set this delay timeout?

With regards.
asianwannabe999
Thanks for the tip in the cmd prompt. Do you also happen to know how to select XP as the default OS that will load instead of Vista? Thanks.
Bones
asianwannabe999 wrote:
Thanks for the tip in the cmd prompt. Do you also happen to know how to select XP as the default OS that will load instead of Vista? Thanks.

Drop to an elevated command prompt again and type
Code:
bcdedit /default {ntldr}

I 'think' you can do both of these from the GUI as you could in XP, but I am booted into XP right now and don't remember. I'm just use to using the bcdedit command from the command line.
cvkien
do you mean the choose menu? i think there is no such programs letting you to change the gui for the choose menu. unless for the boot loader. for vista, find WINLOAD.EXE.MUI that can replace into system32 folder. for windows xp, you can use any boot loader programs to change it boot loader screen but it'll make your performance slow... remember if you want a better appearence, you would get a lower performance.