FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Coke & Pepsi...why all the hype?





wellerchap
How come these drinks are as popular as they are?
Are they really the world's most enjoyable drinks? (Statistically, they MUST be!)
Or are you lot who buy it in such large numbers just showing blind-faith and are really the marketing man's dream....drinking it up, simply because it's the product to be seen with?
Droop
wellerchap wrote:
How come these drinks are as popular as they are?
Are they really the world's most enjoyable drinks? (Statistically, they MUST be!)
Or are you lot who buy it in such large numbers just showing blind-faith and are really the marketing man's dream....drinking it up, simply because it's the product to be seen with?


Well both are bad why woould you want to drink it, well other than the caffeen Neutral -Happy positing
tribe
Coca-Cola is an amazing drink. At times, nothing can quench your thirst like a Coke with Ice.

I'm not a big fan of Pepsi at all, I just think the taste is not as good as Coke's.

My favorite drink: Cherry Coke [now known as Coca Cola Cherry.]
standready
wellerchap wrote:
How come these drinks are as popular as they are?

First, they are and have several good products. Second, Marketing. They hype themselves alot. Have overcompensated celebrities pitching their product. The "be like me" syndrome which stupid people feed on. Look at #3 Royal Crown (RC). they do little marketing but still hold #3 with very good products also.
rheanna
Pepsi is addicting..I think they put coke in it to make us addicted.. LMAO!

*Have to lay off the Jager...
Liu
coke and pepsi do the opposite of quenching thirst.
a.Bird
wellerchap wrote:
Or are you lot who buy it in such large numbers just showing blind-faith and are really the marketing man's dream....drinking it up, simply because it's the product to be seen with?
*gasp!* Shhh

Liu wrote:
coke and pepsi do the opposite of quenching thirst.
You're exactly right, Liu. Soda has tons of caffeine and caffeine is a diuretic, which essentially means it increases the flow of urine and makes you dehydrated, hardly quenching your thirst. What's more, we should all know that caffeine is a stimulant, yet it's hardly consumed with enough personal responsibility. If one drinks soda regularly and suddenly doesn't have it, he's probably going to feel tired and crappy. He then associates feeling normal with drinking soda and it's no wonder why he thinks soda is such a fantastic drink. Coke vs. Pepsi is hardly a main concern. They both have their consumers fish hooked. The competition just grabs the crowd's attention and maintains their loyalties. Bah, thinking about this is making me nauseous.

All I want to say is drink responsibly and if you really feel thirsty, soda is the last thing you need. Alternate between a can of soda and a glass of water.
Jaan
I'm pretty sure they taste good. Pepsi is for sports. Coke has a bigger "chill" factor call it what you will. I'd take an ice cold coke anytime. However, coke tastes alot shittier when warm [than pepsi].
FaLLeN
Ive never really though about this. I guess its because they taste good, personally id prefer pepsi, coke seems too watery tasting or something, i dunno how to explain it.

I guess its cause my dad bought pepsi instead of coke all the time so i grew to like it more.
Handermier
I don't think it matters if the soda dehydrates you. Who is going to have nothing, but soda in their house? People can drink other things. Soda started out as a new and interesting product. So many people liked it that is stuck around. No big deal. If you think soda is bad, then so is a lot of things out there.

The differences between Coke an Pepsi? Not much really. Coke tastes like it has more syrup than Pepsi. Either way, I drink them if I want a cola soda.

They are just good because they became popular and flooded the market. Can you go into a store and not see Coke and Pepsi? They will dominate the soda section. I work at one and the only other soda is the generic brand. It is out brand and yet they get a 24 foot section where Coke and Pepsi have double or triple that.

But hey...that is capitalism.

-Handermier
a.Bird
Handermier wrote:
I don't think it matters if the soda dehydrates you. Who is going to have nothing, but soda in their house? People can drink other things.
I think it does matter if it dehydrates because for one thing, many people aren't going to realize that they are dehydrated until it's too late. Secondly, constantly being dehydrated should at least matter to you because it can do a lot of damage to your body. What's more, I've been to many houses that have nothing in the fridge to drink but soda and possibly a gallon of milk. Don't get me started on milk.
Handermier wrote:
If you think soda is bad, then so is a lot of things out there.
That's exactly the point. There are many things "out there" that are bad for you that are constantly being consumed which leads me to believe that many people don't stop to ask themselves what they are actually doing to their bodies and how it will affect them in the long run, not to mention their children who are possibly growing up with this life style as well.

Handermier wrote:
But hey...that is capitalism.
Commercialism?
HoboPelican
lol...I love all the people trying to show how sodas are bad for you without any real evidence...hey, we all are doctors! Yeah, caffeine is a diuretic and increases the rate of urine excretion. That might be an issue when your taking caffeine in pill form, but in a cola you are drinking a large quantity of water at the same time. Does anyone know how much the caffeine in a cola increases urine excretion? How long is it active in the body? The difference in time it takes for 16 oz of H20 to be passed versus cola? The body also develops a tolerance to caffeine, does that affect the diuretic properties? Do they have this sort of info?

Probably not, but that doesn't stop them from making baseless claims. I'm not saying it is a health food (heck, most health foods have negatives, also), but I have never seen any credible evidence that colas are particularly unhealthy. Heck, I never heard of someone dying from cola, but I have heard of people dying from drinking too much water (the old "hold your wee for a Wii" contest)!

But on the topic, why are they popular? I could care less who the spokesmodels are. I just like the taste of it better than any other drink. The tap water here is terrible and most bottled waters aren't much better. Even if it could be proven that drinking cola would knock 2 years off my life, I would still drink it. A little extra time is not worth the avoiding what you enjoy.
darrenpaul
I hate both of them. I just prefer Water or plain old milk.
hypeserver
Personally I enjoy Coke better it's very refreshing and uses not of that Splenda stuff.
a.Bird
HoboPelican wrote:
lol...I love all the people trying to show how sodas are bad for you without any real evidence...hey, we all are doctors!

Here is a link from News Target.com with an article entitled The health effects of drinking soda - quotes from the experts that lists endless cited quotes about the health risks of soft drinks. http://www.newstarget.com/004416.html

Here is 46 page report (718Kb) entitled Liquid Candy - How Soft Drinks Are Harming Americans' Health by Michael F. Jacobson, Ph.D. which outlines various nutrition facts, statistics on average consumption, obesity, tooth decay, heart disease, marketing and more. http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/liquid_candy_final_w_new_supplement.pdf

Indulge.

HoboPelican wrote:
But on the topic, why are they popular? I could care less who the spokesmodels are. I just like the taste of it better than any other drink. The tap water here is terrible and most bottled waters aren't much better.
Well, that sounds to me like a matter of opinion. I'll personally drink tap water over soda. I don't like the taste of soda. So, personal taste may have something to do with its popularity. It could be the level of sugar in soda and the fact that most people are prone to enjoying sweet. Go figure.

HoboPelican wrote:
Even if it could be proven that drinking cola would knock 2 years off my life, I would still drink it. A little extra time is not worth the avoiding what you enjoy.
I absolutely agree. We should all live for the sake of our own fulfillment and doing what you love to do is important. If you love to drink soda, drink soda. However, you must understand that your lust for certain things that cause health risks will not stop people from trying to let you know you may be harming yourself until you openly admit that you are indeed posing personal health risks. I wouldn't be so offended that your community wants the best for your personal health.
Nameless
Coke and Pepsi are both so popular because:
a) They are 'good' drink. They taste good. And those who don't want to quaff liquid sugar can drink the diet (or, I'm sorry, 'zero' or 'max') drinks.
b) They are, basically, the same damn thing. I can't tell the difference, and if you do a blind taste test, most people can't tell the difference. Most people who are so sure one is greater than the other is purely psychological.
c) ADVERTISING ADVERTISING ADVERTISING. >_>
HalfBloodPrince
Pepsi is sweeter then Coke. Coke is much fizzier. If you take a can of coke and a can of pepsi, blind fold me and I open and drink both, I will be able to tell you the coke was fizzier. And when pepsi is warm,, it isnt TOO bad, but warm coke... Ugkh..
HoboPelican
a.Bird wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
lol...I love all the people trying to show how sodas are bad for you without any real evidence...hey, we all are doctors!

Here is a link from News Target.com with an article entitled The health effects of drinking soda - quotes from the experts that lists endless cited quotes about the health risks of soft drinks. http://www.newstarget.com/004416.html

Thanks. skimmed it. Here are some examples of items there....all without references.
Quote:
hives and anaphylactic symptoms have been traced to penicillin in milk, soft drinks, and frozen dinners.

so here it is as bad as milk...?
Quote:

concluded that such excess liquid calories inhibited

Lots of talk about non diet sodas and excessive calories. Is this any different from eating ANYTHING in excess and not exercising?

Mention is made of lower calcium levels, but it seems that they are saying it's due to replacing calcium sources with sodas. I don't see that as being a soda issue, but a dietary one. The quotes are mostly personal opinion or point to regular soda's calories as negatives(so their issue is with a type of soda, not sodas in general. This was similar to what was in the second article also.

I won't critique those further in this topic...maybe we should start a new one on this issue alone?


Quote:

HoboPelican wrote:
But on the topic, why are they popular? I could care less who the spokesmodels are. I just like the taste of it better than any other drink. The tap water here is terrible and most bottled waters aren't much better.
Well, that sounds to me like a matter of opinion. I'll personally drink tap water over soda. I don't like the taste of soda. So, personal taste may have something to do with its popularity. It could be the level of sugar in soda and the fact that most people are prone to enjoying sweet. Go figure.

Oh, absolutely! I agree individual taste is the main reason they are popular and what tastes good varies greatly. But location can play a part also. The quality and taste of tap water varies considerably from locale to locale.
Quote:
HoboPelican wrote:
Even if it could be proven that drinking cola would knock 2 years off my life, I would still drink it. A little extra time is not worth the avoiding what you enjoy.
I absolutely agree. We should all live for the sake of our own fulfillment and doing what you love to do is important. If you love to drink soda, drink soda. However, you must understand that your lust for certain things that cause health risks will not stop people from trying to let you know you may be harming yourself until you openly admit that you are indeed posing personal health risks. I wouldn't be so offended that your community wants the best for your personal health.

Again, this presupposes there are health risks worth worrying about. And I'm not offended by people worried about my health...but what I see here are people pushing their lifestyle as the style everyone else should follow. Not altruism, but chest thumping.
alfiqrah
wellerchap wrote:
How come these drinks are as popular as they are?
Are they really the world's most enjoyable drinks? (Statistically, they MUST be!)
Or are you lot who buy it in such large numbers just showing blind-faith and are really the marketing man's dream....drinking it up, simply because it's the product to be seen with?


Watch out for diabetes, guys! back to nature, plain water is the best!
peaceninja
soda definitely dehydrates me, but i do get cravings for it at times and drinking water usually suppresses the craving. usually i get a craving for soda while eating a delicious sandwich of some sort, yum.

i have noticed that coca cola tastes differently in other countries, whereas pepsi tastes the same everywhere. am i crazy? anyone else notice this?
PSUVikings
wellerchap wrote:
How come these drinks are as popular as they are?
Are they really the world's most enjoyable drinks? (Statistically, they MUST be!)
Or are you lot who buy it in such large numbers just showing blind-faith and are really the marketing man's dream....drinking it up, simply because it's the product to be seen with?


Here on the west coast it seems energy drinks are becoming more popular then pepsi or Coke, from gatorade to other scary looking and tasting drinks

I prefer water thank you Cool
Duncan Idaho
They are both tasty, both different, and people drink it, so why not make a profit?

And, they are not the same (like I said). That's like saying Sprite is the same as Mello Yello. Exactly like saying that.

And I got a sickness, and a disease from the "pure" water. Only filtered now.

Edit: And speaking of which, Mello Yello is good too.
GProject
It's all about having strong brand name, which in the case of Coke & Pepsi is certainly the case. People rarley say that they are going to drink some 'Cola' - they often refer to it directly by brand name. This shows extremely high consumer-awareness about the product and that kind of thing stays in the public conciousness for a long time, often getting passed down through generations.

Plus, they are a big corporation and so spend millions of dollars on advertising.
Snakez
a.Bird wrote:
Handermier wrote:
I don't think it matters if the soda dehydrates you. Who is going to have nothing, but soda in their house? People can drink other things.
I think it does matter if it dehydrates because for one thing, many people aren't going to realize that they are dehydrated until it's too late. Secondly, constantly being dehydrated should at least matter to you because it can do a lot of damage to your body. What's more, I've been to many houses that have nothing in the fridge to drink but soda and possibly a gallon of milk. Don't get me started on milk.
Handermier wrote:
If you think soda is bad, then so is a lot of things out there.
That's exactly the point. There are many things "out there" that are bad for you that are constantly being consumed which leads me to believe that many people don't stop to ask themselves what they are actually doing to their bodies and how it will affect them in the long run, not to mention their children who are possibly growing up with this life style as well.

Handermier wrote:
But hey...that is capitalism.
Commercialism?


Yep you are completelly right, they dpo nothing good but we dont give a damn, ive heard i saying "that's the american way" but its totally out-dated, the whole world is destroying their teeth and getting hyper then getting beat up in a class room, so why not make a post about quitting coke and pepsi for a month (only for those coca-cola addicts lol) and se how it goes to see if they have us addiicted with a drug without telling us
a.Bird
Snakez wrote:
so why not make a post about quitting coke and pepsi for a month (only for those coca-cola addicts lol) and se how it goes to see if they have us addiicted with a drug without telling us
You, my friend, are blessed with this conscious thinking. Never assume either the media or the government know what is best for you. Question EVERYTHING. Much of culture is driven by money these days and that can mean doing whatever is necessary to maintain profits. Can you imagine what would happen to the fizzy drink companies if the entire world didn't drink any of their product for a few weeeks? Maybe even a day. It would perhaps be devastating and recovery would more than likely be impossible. This really goes the same for any company selling anything. They need their large base of consumers to continue to consume or they can go bankrupt and if that means withholding important information or stretching the truth regarding the welfare of their consumers, what do you think they will do?
Liu
Hobopelican it's good to be skeptical but ignorant to be too skeptical.

You want proof? Take it into your own hands. Next time you exercise or do any sort of heavy physical activity, in between, drink a can of pepsi/coke instead of a bottle of water and continue exercising. Tell me how it compares to drinking a bottle of water instead.

It simply does not quench thirst.

The fact that a tooth can be completely dissolved in a can of coke already tells you something about the affects it has on teeth.

Aside, milk can be considered bad for you.
HoboPelican
Liu wrote:
Hobopelican it's good to be skeptical but ignorant to be too skeptical.

You want proof? Take it into your own hands. Next time you exercise or do any sort of heavy physical activity, in between, drink a can of pepsi/coke instead of a bottle of water and continue exercising. Tell me how it compares to drinking a bottle of water instead.

It simply does not quench thirst.

The fact that a tooth can be completely dissolved in a can of coke already tells you something about the affects it has on teeth.

Aside, milk can be considered bad for you.

Ignorant? Wanting proof makes me ignorant? I would think, outside of religious areas, that believing based on partial or misunderstood information is ignorant. I have experienced the scenario that you call proof. Coke kills my thirst as well if not better than water. But this is hardly proof, is it? Short term, subjective experience? If this is what you call proof, then it proves that that soda is the same or better than water. Of course, your own experience will prove the opposite.

In your words, and just as validly, "It simply DOES quench thirst."

Pfft on your tooth example. Come on, I know you are smarter than believing that proves anything. When you drink sodas, you don't let your teeth soak in it. You swallow it down and the buffers your saliva start to neutralize any residual acidity. If that was really an issue, wouldn't there have been a drastic increase in caries over the past 30 years (see a-birds links that relate to the increase in soda consumption). Heck, with the amount I drink I should be toothless. In reality, I am an old man with about 10 fillings total.

So far, the only documented effects I've seen are increased risks of oesteo porosis in elderly women (there was an interesting reference to a study about a decrease in white cell effectiveness in special cases, but I only saw the abstract, not the study. Maybe you can find that.). Everything else seems to be distorted info pushed by people with their own agenda.

Soda is not going to increase your health. In reasonable quantities, I haven't seen anything to make me think it will harm you either. Try being a little skeptical and not believe everything someone tells you.
{name here}
It's pretty simple - Pepsi and Coca-Cola were two drinks during the turn of the century advertised as miracle cures to stomach problems. The drink became popular then, and it later developed into a staple in the papers of American culture when people started to drink it just for the heck of it.
Ray Gravin
I'm not really sure if its marketing or just culture saturation but they are both very prominant soft drinks. I personaly don't drink soda anymore, but when I did I was Pepsi man. I actually had a really interesting arguement with a buddy of mine about Coke and Pepsi. He told me that Pepsi was for "white trash" and Coke was a more middle/upper class drink. I didn't understand how a brand of softdrink could be associated with a social status though. It just seemed rediculous to me. Then I remembered the subculture that claimed Faygo as there official drink.

I like Pepsi and I'm not White Trash damnit!
Liu
HoboPelican wrote:

Ignorant? Wanting proof makes me ignorant?

Completely ignoring scientific facts makes you ignorant. I've come to believe that you only see what you want to see, seeing that you only skimmed the article. So you want references to more references? Give me a break.

Quote:

Coke kills my thirst as well if not better than water. But this is hardly proof, is it? Short term, subjective experience? If this is what you call proof, then it proves that that soda is the same or better than water. Of course, your own experience will prove the opposite.

Bottom line is, you're saying caffeine and sugar quenches thirst? Have you actually ran miles and decided to drink soda over water? Caffeine dehydrates your body - are you disputing simple facts?

Quote:

In your words, and just as validly, "It simply DOES quench thirst."

Science says otherwise. How about you link some facts that states sugar and caffeine hydrates the body.

Quote:

Pfft on your tooth example. Come on, I know you are smarter than believing that proves anything. When you drink sodas, you don't let your teeth soak in it. You swallow it down and the buffers your saliva start to neutralize any residual acidity. If that was really an issue, wouldn't there have been a drastic increase in caries over the past 30 years (see a-birds links that relate to the increase in soda consumption). Heck, with the amount I drink I should be toothless. In reality, I am an old man with about 10 fillings total.

You may not let your teeth soak in it, but the constant drinking of it pretty much simulates the "soaking" effect. Saliva neutralizes all the acid? You have a full mouth of saliva each time you drink coke?

I've never had a cavity in my life, and I don't drink soda at all. Although I (22) may not be as old as you, many people my age at least have had multiple cavities.

Quote:

Soda is not going to increase your health. In reasonable quantities, I haven't seen anything to make me think it will harm you either. Try being a little skeptical and not believe everything someone tells you.

I am skeptical, but if my doctor and biology professor states it's bad for you, and backs it up with scientific evidence, it'd be ignorant not to believe it.

Are you going to argue that there's not enough evidence to link the correlations of cancer and smoking now?

Although I'd have to say coke isn't completely useless. I can use it to clean my toilet and car battery.
tbsmicro
I'm a big fan of coke I'm afraid. The taste of pepsi does not compare in my opinion. If theat advert was still going to do the taste test between Pepsi and "another leading brand cola" I'd pick the other cola easy !! I tried to give coke (and other fizzy drinks) up for lent this year, however I have failed miserably, I forgot one day in work and so now I'm not only killing my body with all the additives and junk in fizzy drinks but I'm also now going to hell when they kill me off !!
bigdan
I'll drink both, I'm not fussed either way. Although, I must admit, I've been hitting the bottled water lately a tad more. Don't know why....
eku53ru
I personally don't drink either, but if I do have a chance (or get a chance) to drink it, I don't care which brand I get. In my household, cola seems to be the worse kind of soda to drink for some reason; it probably doesn't help that I grew up on horror stories involving green meat and Coca-Cola.

I have a friend is a big fan of cola in general, and while she normally drinks Pepsi, she'll occasionally drink its competitor when it's the other alternative available, aside from the store-band cola. Razz
eliasr
My favorite is the normal coca-cola and well, they taste good, and they taste better than others, and well. for my concern, if you buy plenty of this, it also says, that guy got plenty of money(when we think of how fuc.... expensive it is)

there there is the advisements, trust me, there is proffesionels writers behind those. in Coca cola advisements you will serveral times find "freedom" you will see, that everybody is folowing him with the coke (except for that stupid zero advisement... that was a bad one )

therefore, it's like women need to buy dress, to look cool, to be in, because they need something good to wear or something better.

that is the prime key of why people buy it
atomkarinca
because m from turkey;turkey is only coca-cola to sell and cola-turka Very Happy

want to drink in turkey pepsi-coke
arkebuzer
wellerchap wrote:
How come these drinks are as popular as they are?
Are they really the world's most enjoyable drinks? (Statistically, they MUST be!)
Or are you lot who buy it in such large numbers just showing blind-faith and are really the marketing man's dream....drinking it up, simply because it's the product to be seen with?


Its not healthy to drink, but it tastes really nice. I dont think it has too much to do with marketing, some for sure, but not all the "hype". I think its just bacause its a really tasty drink, thats all.
Vrythramax
I think it is more of a marketing ploy. Both of these companies have been in a "selling" war since all this began.

Granted the are subtle taste differences between the two products (possibly due to additaves to the respective poroducts), but when all is boiled away, I think the public would choose one over the other....regardless of which products wins.

*may I have a (Classic) coke now?*
PatTheGreat42
First off, Pepsi's better. Sure, the sweeter nature may only appeal to my quick response reward center, but I'm cool like that.

But more importantly, you know what's fun? Have absolutely no caffeine for 6-8 months. No coffee, tea, soda, or anything.

Then, head down to 7-11. Grab a big gulp. Then gulp it down.

MY BRAIN WAS ON FIRE.
HoboPelican
Liu wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:

Ignorant? Wanting proof makes me ignorant?

Completely ignoring scientific facts makes you ignorant. I've come to believe that you only see what you want to see, seeing that you only skimmed the article. So you want references to more references? Give me a break.


No one has posted a scientific fact yet. Did YOU read those links? They are short blurbs without reference, mostly by people trying to sell their books. I simply am asking to see something convincing.

Quote:

Quote:

Coke kills my thirst as well if not better than water. But this is hardly proof, is it? Short term, subjective experience? If this is what you call proof, then it proves that that soda is the same or better than water. Of course, your own experience will prove the opposite.

Bottom line is, you're saying caffeine and sugar quenches thirst? Have you actually ran miles and decided to drink soda over water? Caffeine dehydrates your body - are you disputing simple facts?

No, I am disputing people taking simple facts and applying them without thought to a complex situation. But you aren't reading what I've written. Yes, my experience is that Coke kills my thirst as well as water. But if you actually READ what was written, you'll see that I am pointing out how subjective personal experience is. I was saying that your example of proof not valid. Go back and read my comments about caffeine in pill form vs caffeine with water.

Quote:
Quote:

In your words, and just as validly, "It simply DOES quench thirst."

Science says otherwise. How about you link some facts that states sugar and caffeine hydrates the body.

Don't be foolish. I never implied that caffeine hydrates. You are again missing the point that a soda is about 90% water. It is not JUST caffeine.
Obviously, it is the water doing the hydrating. The small amount of caffeine in sodas doesn't seem to overcome all that water.


Quote:
Quote:

Pfft on your tooth example. Come on, I know you are smarter than believing that proves anything. When you drink sodas, you don't let your teeth soak in it. You swallow it down and the buffers your saliva start to neutralize any residual acidity. If that was really an issue, wouldn't there have been a drastic increase in caries over the past 30 years (see a-birds links that relate to the increase in soda consumption). Heck, with the amount I drink I should be toothless. In reality, I am an old man with about 10 fillings total.

You may not let your teeth soak in it, but the constant drinking of it pretty much simulates the "soaking" effect. Saliva neutralizes all the acid? You have a full mouth of saliva each time you drink coke?

Did I say that? You keep making stuff up. And you really aren't using your head in thinking about the situation. You take a drink and virtually all of it is swallowed. A thin film will remain briefly on your teeth, which is immediately acted on by the buffers in your saliva. Again, if it was an issue, shouldn't there be a surge of cavities in the population to match the rising soda usage?


Quote:
Quote:

Soda is not going to increase your health. In reasonable quantities, I haven't seen anything to make me think it will harm you either. Try being a little skeptical and not believe everything someone tells you.

I am skeptical, but if my doctor and biology professor states it's bad for you, and backs it up with scientific evidence, it'd be ignorant not to believe it.

What science? How many times do I have to point out you are taking a chemical fact relating to a test tube and applying it to a larger system without evaluating the new system. This is not science. As stated earlier, I drink a lot of soda. I've talked with MY doc and he says it is nothing to worry about. Which is right? My Doc hasn't seen any papers or patients to convince him it is an issue. But, and read what I am writing, THIS IS NOT PROOF either way.

You are more that welcome to BELIEVE it is harmful and to not drink it. Just don't post it as a FACT and tell others they are hurting themselves.

I love how you generalize to try to make your point. All soda is bad because SOME have caffeine and SOME have sugar. But ANY water is better. Forget that some brands of bottled water, Dasani for example, have added salt (Hmm, do I remember that drinking salt water is not a good idea?). Let's not forget the fluoride, a poison, that is added to tap water. This seems to be the reasoning you are using. Sure, it's a fact that drinking salt water is bad and fluoride is poisonous, but you have to consider the quantities involved and how the body handles them.
SonLight
The health effects of Colas and other sodas are not likely to be substantial when they are drunk in reasonable quantities. On the other hand, it is good to be aware of certain tendencies these drinks have, and consider how much of your water intake you are willing to get through Colas.

Caffeine is a drug, and should be treated accordingly, though it is a mild one. It does have a well-deserved reputation for setting up a boom-and-bust energy cycle, which then encourages users to continue the habit to recover from the low points. It is not nearly as dangerous as the Cocaine which was once added to Coke, of course.

Sugar is consumed in large quantity by Americans without any really good reason. Although sugar cannot be considered a drug, there is some tendency for a boom-and-bust energy cycle to occur with large intakes of sugar. Diabetes may occur more frequently today because of our sugar intake, although it is impractical to prove it conclusively.

For a good drink, I recommend water (filtered is preferable) with a little lemon juice squeezed into it. The lemon juice helps with the body's need for minerals, and may easily satisfy the desire to include carbonated water. The Caffeine and sugar cycles get no boost from lemon water, so your natural tendency will be to respond better to your real needs for other food and drink.
HoboPelican
SonLight wrote:
The health effects of Colas and other sodas are not likely to be substantial when they are drunk in reasonable quantities. On the other hand, it is good to be aware of certain tendencies these drinks have, and consider how much of your water intake you are willing to get through Colas.....


One of the best and most balanced posts I've seen on the topic (mine included Wink ). Nice job. And the lemon idea really can make disgusting water at a restaurant quite palatable.
Heart Ticket
wellerchap wrote:
How come these drinks are as popular as they are?
Are they really the world's most enjoyable drinks? (Statistically, they MUST be!)
Or are you lot who buy it in such large numbers just showing blind-faith and are really the marketing man's dream....drinking it up, simply because it's the product to be seen with?


It makes me happy veryy happy Smile MWABLAH! (sorry im hyper right now, had a couple of cans of red bull)

James
Related topics
Stupid Question: Why do men have nipples?
What's you favourite drink? recommend me of one...
What's your favorite drink?
Scientists said Coke and Pepsi need health warning labels
Des avertissements de danger sur les canettes Coke et Pepsi?
Pepsi Awareness
Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi
Windows vs Mac
what kind of laptop should i get
Favorite Soda Pop
Favorite TV commercials
Sprite vs. 7-Up vs. Sierra Mist
PEPSI OR COKE
Supermarket Shelf Poisons
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.