FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Poll: Anyone buying an Apple TV?

Would you buy the Apple Tv?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

brokenadvice
Just saw that apple has released the long fabled iTV ( http://www.apple.com/appletv/ ) You can apparently stream movies onto it with you computer (Mac or PC) or download them to a 40 gig hard drive. My question is the $299 price tag too large for most people to buy it? I know I don't have that kind of money to buy a novelty.
Xeniczone
I perfer just to buy the mac mini. It cost more but it does let me do more stuff then a Apple TV would.
TheGeek
Some day I may break down and get one. But for $400 I have priced out how I could build a Linux running Mini-ITX computer that is about the same size but uses a 500GB hard drive disk and an open source Media Center interface. I would take that over the AppleTV any day. It is not that I don't like the AppleTV, in fact I quite like it, I just can't justify the price for how little it does.
psycosquirrel
It is not justified, because it uses only iTunes. I hate iTunes, it is the most obnoxious, unreliable program ever.
william
I'm really glad people here at Frihost agree. Everywhere else, everyone wants the Apple TV, but in my opinion, it's a piece of junk. First of all, iTunes. I have hated that ever since it was launched. I find the overall quality mediocre, and the program far inferior to several others. Second, it doesn't work with all televisions. It won't run on most of my TVs since it doesn't support composite or 4:3 aspect ratios. Then, there's quality. The videos on iTunes are designed for the video iPod. Think about playing those on a 42" or even a 50" TV. Confused To add on to that, the hard disk space. 40 GB isn't nearly enough for my tastes. I would much rather spend a bit more on a media center computer and install a 400-750 GB hard drive. In addition to that, I hate the remote. It's the same thing that came bundled with Front Row, and I never liked it. (Although many like simplicity, I simply hate it). Overall, I hate it. I find the Xbox 360 as a much better solution, because it has the multimedia features and functions as a high end gaming machine. The hard drive also tops out at 120 GB, thrice the Apple TV.