FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How To Make A Home .htm Page Appear Instead Of A File List

spyborg0
Hiya, im using Apache to host a website and whenever i go to the "/" base part of my homepage i just get a file list instead of the homepage i have designed in Frontpage
{name here}
The page you want to see as default in any directory must be named index.{whatever extension it is here}. The only exception to this rule is if you use an .htaccess file to rereoute the user to another directory(not file).
aningbo
put a file named index.htm or index.html or index.php or default.asp depending on your host support and that would do the trick.
Dragate
{name here} wrote:
The page you want to see as default in any directory must be named index.{whatever extension it is here}. The only exception to this rule is if you use an .htaccess file to rereoute the user to another directory(not file).

Exactly.

Asp, php, html, htm... anything, but then again servers are different. If you are using frihost, index.html or index.php works.
infobankr
Not necessarily true, you can have whateveryouwant.anyextension show up as your default directory index. I'm glad you mentioned you use Apache, because that's the only one I know how to setup!

You can either set this in the Apache configuration file, or you can put it in an .htaccess file if they are enabled:

Code:
DirectoryIndex index.html

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_dir.html
GB
Also, don't you have to install Frontpage's special items on your server. I have never used "Affront"page, so I don't know all the little things you need to do to make it work. In the future, I suggest picking up a copy of Dreamweaver, GoLive, or coding everything in notepad.

Hope it works for you.
rafifaisal
Hi guys,
No problems in asking questions on the forum. BUT a bit of investigation, research and reading. This kind of information is so easy to find by just entering a search query in google.

I mean, no point in filling this forum up with one line questions. Bring a bit of depth to the forum guys.

Wink
imagefree
rafifaisal!!! it appears from his quesion that he is a new commer to this world of designing and hosting. So, it might be difficult for him to do as you directed. Also, sometimes it is difficult for me also to use google for every need.