FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Discussions visible on search engines.

MadeinIndia
Hi,

I have a small issue. I keep asking some confidential queries here on Frihost support which I don't want the outside world to know about. All someone has to do is type www.cellyourcity.com in google search and get a whole history of my config, my account details etc. I feel such data being widely available will be a security hazard.

Is there an option where you can remove your "Webhosting Support" forum from being crawled by search engines as lot of info is member related and should be confidential.
Bondings
We get a lot of visitors from search engines due to the support forum, so I wouldn't like to remove it for guests/crawling.

But an easy solution would be to remove the url from your posts (at least where you don't want it to be found) so the search engines won't be able to index it. And just refer to it as mywebsite.com or similar. And other people will/should also refer it in the same way, even if they know the real url of your website - at least I try to do it that way.
dray101
Why don't you PM the confidential queries? Wink
or at least your config part of the discussion?
you could say that you'll PM anyone the confidential details who thinks they can help.
Animal
dray101 wrote:
Why don't you PM the confidential queries? Wink
or at least your config part of the discussion?
you could say that you'll PM anyone the confidential details who thinks they can help.

That kinda defeats the purpose of a support forum - you might solve your problem via PM, but others can't search for and find solutions to the same problem.

As Bondings said, you could simply remove the URL from your posts. If you can't edit a specific post you made a long time ago, why not PM a moderator and ask them nicely to remove the URL? We won't be deleting / removing any other content from the posts since it may be helpful to others, but I don't see a problem with us altering the URL for you. Just remember that it will take Google some time to update its database and remove the results from its search index.
dray101
I was kind of suggesting that he still post the question, just that when someone asked what his was config was he told them by PM instead of posting it. He could still then put the solution on the post and then others still could find the problem and solution (minus the config) Rolling Eyes