FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Green Terror fish

springbok
I enjoy my fish tanks and have recently bought 2 Green Terror Cichlids. I was mis-informed when I bought them, I was told that they are only mildly aggressive I put them in with other Cichlids. Having watched them I see that they are impressive and fast growing fish but are quite aggro and I might need to rehouse my other fish in the tank.

Anyone else have these fish?

Daisie
He look stunning!
I never had those fishes, I stuck with guppies (lots of pretty colours and babies, ideal for the kids), molly and such...
Mouldylocks
i had a huge aquarium but all of the fish died and it stayed like that for over 2 years. By then the water was green and mouldy, and that's how we found the name for our bad mouldylocks6 ( check us ou o myspace). The guppies died last though.... and this really explensive fish died first. They say you have to leave the aquarium empty for 2 weeks with the seaweed and a tablet for it to stabilize before you add the fish. Is that true ?
furtasacra
Mouldylocks wrote:
i had a huge aquarium but all of the fish died and it stayed like that for over 2 years. By then the water was green and mouldy, and that's how we found the name for our bad mouldylocks6 ( check us ou o myspace). The guppies died last though.... and this really explensive fish died first. They say you have to leave the aquarium empty for 2 weeks with the seaweed and a tablet for it to stabilize before you add the fish. Is that true ?

Saltwater tanks have to stabilize before you can safely add critters, but freshwater fish aren't nearly as picky.
indeedwrestling
They are wonderful fish. I used to eat something very similar to them when I was a kid but now that I am an adult, I choose to instead raise them for other pet owners! It's a bit of a change, but whenever a lot of them die, then I usually can unload them to the local Red Lobster or wherever.
sanwixh
I think green terrors are mostly territorial, well most cichlids have that tendency, so it'd be wise if you keep them in another tank, if you want to breed them, just add a clay pot at the bottom, break it into large pieces for added effect to your aquarium ^^
vertigoflow
Two questions:

1) why are they called Green Terror fish?

and

2) When will we be seeing a movie on the SciFi channel about them?
Drawingguy
Green terrors grow to about 8 inches, and can be quite aggressive (they're terrors, what do you expect). It depends on what kinds of fish you keep, the type of aquascaping, and the size of the tank. If you have a large tank, with fish that can hold their own, and many territory boundaries, then it will be less of a problem than if you kept it in a 20 gallon tank with guppies. Hopefully you don't have a breeding pair, which would mean even more aggression.
brucedes
He looks like he has a devious grin.

I'd watch him if I were you...
pedrothelion
Wow, that's a neat fish Very Happy

We keep an aquarium in the class where I work but it's mostly just guppies and some neon tetras (who are disappearing one by one) as well as some different sorts of moth-fish..

I've started to consider getting a tank myself but it's quite expensive, especially if you want the more tropical/spectacular fishes.. Rolling Eyes
evilfishtank
i have a pair of firemout Cichlids, and they look awesome. when the female gets mad her gills flare out like a lizard and they turn fire red. while she turns green and orange. i wish they would lay some eggs.. i have had them for about 2 years now.