FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guitar Pick Width / Music Style

Cedar Speeder
For guitar players, what pick width do you use?

And for what style of music do you use it?
datter
I have a very think, solid green pick I like a lot though it's getting worn out. Not sure who makes it, but it's my favorite. I've also got anothe rthink clear red pick from Jim Dunlop which I liked fine until it started cracking. I guess the solid color picks are more durable.

Anyway, just so long as it's a thick, heavy pick that's all I really need. I don't care for flexible ones.

datter
The Mitchell
i usually use the green or blue ones. theyre quite thick. i generally prefer them because theyre good for bass but also on guitar they give more definition although if im doing something like tremelo picking i prevfer sumat a bit softer.
Andrew426
I generally just use orange tortex picks.
Or the red ones if Im feeling adventurous.
nimo
I have a variety of them, and mostly I play folk music (chords and small riffs & variations). for that I use flexible picks, usually simple ones (like the grey dunlop).

for playing solos i use a more stiff pick...

good luck!
jds10912
i think its funny how everyone has mostly said the color of their picks, no the actual size.
for me, i tend to go medium, but maybe a size thicker or lighter depending on what i am playing at the moment

i tend to play rock and punk, so limited soloing and mostly power chords Cool
gtherockgod
I usually use 1mm for most rock/metal, but im looking into getting some thicker ones, they're not so easy to find around here.
achene
I prefer dunlob Jazz III.

They are exactly the way i want them to be - small and thick.
Although I sometimes use a thinner pick when playing chords and such.

Achene
Andrew426
jds10912 wrote:
i think its funny how everyone has mostly said the color of their picks, no the actual size.
for me, i tend to go medium, but maybe a size thicker or lighter depending on what i am playing at the moment
You didnt say the actual size either Rolling Eyes
Sickness
I use my nails and I play what I want using 11-52 strings. Mr. Green
Cedar Speeder
Yeah a lot of different colours, but the actual widths was what I was hoping to get some comments on. I'm trying to find a versatile pick width, and started with about .9 and moved on down to .7 where I feel pretty happy, but it still seems a bit thick for really quick up-and-down strumming - though it's good for lead lines.
SimonWSTS
I play using jim dunlop gels. By far the best picks i've found. I use medium thickness for electric and acoustic guitar playing a variety of styles. I use the mediums purely because i can use them for electric and acoustic (and even bass on rare occasions when my fingers are not up to it!).
snowboardalliance
datter wrote:
I've also got anothe rthink clear red pick from Jim Dunlop which I liked fine until it started cracking. I guess the solid color picks are more durable.

Yeah I like the Jim Dunlop medium ones but Tortex (the rubber solid color ones) are way better than the clear ones which break easily. I use medium .60mm (orange) ones.
Cedar Speeder
Any quick arpeggio players out there who could recommend some good pick widths (in mm would be great)? My current pick pick (ha) is 0.7mm.