FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

~All their spam are belong to me~

Scorpio
I frankly wonder what is going to happen to my inbox at the rate spam mails are stacking up in it.
Thank goodness, Yahoo! doesnt count spam emails as part of my storage space.

The spam count in my bulk folder is ever increasing, and it maxed since last week.

Currently the rate of spam I receive is around 90-100 a day. Since last week my bulk mail folder has received around 1100 spam mails and few have leaked into my inbox as well..

What exactly does one do to stop these mails from coming to you?
Do you have any innovative methods of preventing spam [except from emptying the bulk folder]?
What has been your worst experience with spam mails?

Your Opinions Very Happy
Arseniy
o-ho-ho...
you are really need to switch to other mail service, like gmail - I hadn't receive any spam emails since I use gmail. Yahoo! is getting more and more dangerous...
Holy
I can't get an account on Gmail. I click on the Google Gmail page but then it comes up with the "can not find page" or that "can not connect to site" error thing. And it happens all the time. But anyways, on my yahoo accounts I do have a lot of spam in my bulk. I just recently switched my Email to a place called Inbox. It's a pretty sweet Email service. It's free (you can upgrade it if you want) and it's very neat. Very Happy
Blaster
I always get spam... i just live with it. And get gmail there email filter is 10 times On my yahoo (which i haven't used in like forever) i have 9275 spam emails Very Happy
scotty
Change email address. Gmail is awesome I get maybe 6 a day at most and none of them get into my inbox.
munkey_boy
I use Hotmail I get about 4 or 5 a day, In my spambox!
Yantaal
i only looked at this thread because of the Zero Wing referance. i was disapointed
wietn
I have Gmail and I gett al lot of spam on my account..
But there all go to the spambox, Ooef!
I get about 10-25 spammails a day... Sad
ninjakannon
munkey_boy wrote:
I use Hotmail I get about 4 or 5 a day, In my spambox!

I'm on Windows Live Mail, very similar to Hotmail, and all my junk mail is sent to the junk email folder. Actually, I've found that the spam filter is oversensitive and even blocks things which aren't actually spam sometimes.
Scorpio
Yantaal wrote:
i only looked at this thread because of the Zero Wing referance. i was disapointed

Sorry about that.. I was looking up Zero Wing before I posted this thread, guess the influence just held on.
Davidgr1200
The more people you give your email address to the more spam you will get. I have one account for people I know and trust and another one for when I register at sites which require an email address.
exarkun
I got spam mail most of the time, but doesn't really care about it. Just leave it inside my Junk Mail inbox and my hotmail or gmail account will automatically get rid of it for me for about after 30 days..

However, if I am waiting for, example, some kind of activitation mail or similar, I would check the spam inbox if I don't see the mail in my normal inbox.
Arseniy
Wow! It's a holiday today!
Today I got FIRST spam mail on my gmail account since its creation in September 2006=)
ninjakannon
Arseniy wrote:
Wow! It's a holiday today!
Today I got FIRST spam mail on my gmail account since its creation in September 2006=)

Watch out... After one, comes two. And then you will get buried in spamload upon spamload! Razz

Davidgr1200 wrote:
The more people you give your email address to the more spam you will get.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. Mostly I think you get spam by entering your email address on dodgy websites and signing up for things which you're not totally sure will be trustworthy.

Scorpio wrote:
I was looking up Zero Wing before I posted this thread

I just looked that up and now I know what you mean. I've seen the "All your base are belong to us" video and loved it. Thanks for reminding me of it! Razz
HalfBloodPrince
Spam is usually delivered to people who tell that they're adults in their public profile. My mom uses hotmail and has her real age in her profile and I also use hotmail with my real age in my profile (13). She gets 100s of spam, but I dont. go to ur profile and say your 13. Trust me it will go down.
ninjakannon
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Spam is usually delivered to people who tell that they're adults in their public profile. My mom uses hotmail and has her real age in her profile and I also use hotmail with my real age in my profile (13). She gets 100s of spam, but I dont. go to ur profile and say your 13. Trust me it will go down.

But Hotmail doesn’t send you spam, or sell your details and email address to other companies who would certainly hit you with spam. What your saying implies that either Hotmail sell your details or that it is possible for companies to find out your age, which should be secure. And if they can get your age... who knows what else they can get.

I don't think what you say here can be right; there must be another explanation.
hunnyhiteshseth
What I do is somewhat more time consuming but it works.....

Generally even in spams they give a link, may be a small link, to unsubscribe from their list. Whenever I receive a spam I unsubscribe from their mailing list.

Still if an email keep on sending spam I block that email address.
ninjakannon
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

If I receive spam I certainly block the email address, yet often you get an email address which has been randomly generated by a script file and changes every time. It's these emails which really get on people's nerves. I think you can find out the server from which the emails were sent and block that somehow, at least with some services.
hunnyhiteshseth
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

If I receive spam I certainly block the email address, yet often you get an email address which has been randomly generated by a script file and changes every time. It's these emails which really get on people's nerves. I think you can find out the server from which the emails were sent and block that somehow, at least with some services.

In that case you can block the whole domain.
Or another trick which you can use is filters, generally in spams the content or subject is somewhat similar, so identify the keywords & use filters.
hack_man_
Arseniy wrote:
o-ho-ho...
you are really need to switch to other mail service, like gmail - I hadn't receive any spam emails since I use gmail. Yahoo! is getting more and more dangerous...

Oh yes... I was using Hotmail and I was getting 100s of spam messages a day and their spam filters are rubbish, so most of it got counted as part of my space. Since I started using Gmail, I have gotten absolutely no spam in my inbox. None.

The best part is that Gmail is now accepting open registrations! No more invites! *yay*
Ducksteina
I recieve like 50 spam mails per day - that's really annoying!
I'm thinking about getting a new email. I'm currently using http://www.gmx.de...
nilsmo
GMail has some great spam-blocking. Haven't gotten any spam in a while, and reporting + deleting spam is two quick clicks.
tbsmicro
my friend uses gmail and doesn't really get much spam, I use my own domain email address that points to my ISP free mail account. I do get spam but not enough that it really bothers me too much. I like some of the tips tho I might just try a few. I think if my account gets too bad i'll set up a gmail account and give it a try.
Yantaal
You have set us up the bomb!
Zruch
I have been using mail.ru for 5 years and showing my e-mail everywhere... I have only 2-3 spam letters per week. They use Kaspersky Anti Spam, and, as I see, it works pretty well.
After I have snown my Yahoo mail adress on 2-3 sites I began receive a lot of spam.
arkebuzer
omg! That´s pretty extreme!
I dont have any problems with spam, and I dont even use any spam filters.
How did you manage to get that much spam each day? registered at a lot of not very serious forums that sold your mail further or anything? O.o

My worst experience was probably at my old school. We had a work together with another university, and that university had a flaw in their system, so as soon as they got our mail addresses everyone in the school started to get tons of spam (like 5-10 each day).
I´t still pretty far from what you got, but that´s the only bad experience I´ve had with mail spam.

Regards
DandDer
spam is definatly getting out of control, my gmail account has a spam folder with 2000+ spam messages...and its cleared every month Crying or Very sad However with the increase in spam they have also increased the accuracy of spam detectors Razz

What puzzels me is who actually visits the links they recieve in spam
saratdear
I get around 2-3 spam mails everyday in my Yahoo account. And in my Gmail account, I get none. Smile Gmail's filters are excellent.
The problem with these mails are, they do appear polite and all, with an "unsubscribe" link at the bottom, but if you click on that it just lets them know that your e-mail address is active and the result?

KA-BOOM!

More spam...

Atleast this is what the Yahoo! Mail "Fighting spam" tips tells me. I register at a lot of sites, you know, not just forums, and that's the cause. Even though I accidentally gave my Gmail address to a website, I received only one mail from them, and that went straight to the spam folder.
hunnyhiteshseth
saratdear wrote:
The problem with these mails are, they do appear polite and all, with an "unsubscribe" link at the bottom, but if you click on that it just lets them know that your e-mail address is active and the result?

KA-BOOM!

More spam...

I think this is not correct with all spams, around 90% of spams stop if you tell the comany that you are not interested in their product.
TheGustav
I think I've given my main gmail accout one too many times on the internet....

Recently I've been getting a good 1-4 spam mails that leak into my inbox a day... I report them each time of course, but they come back... Ack.... That's what I get for putting my main account out there for all to see I guess.

I may have to get a new gmail account.... Sad
Vrythramax
I get so much spam everyday it's sickening! I have tried filters and the like....so here's what I do know, I usually take care if before I have my morning coffee....or when I'm drinking Very Happy
seagullspirit
well Scorpio, I for one am as happy as I can be with Gmail since 99.9% of the spam its automatically moved to trash Wink
catscratches
Amazing, I didn't realize spam was such a big problem Surprised I've never got a spam email in my life! Using hotmail.