FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Monitors, LCD, gaming, etc...

Da Rossa
Hi, I got problems in my CRT monitor then I got one borrowed, a Sony CPD-M151 15'' LCD, very old, one of the first ones. I searched everywhere for more detailed specifications and couldn't find the response time.

I tried to play CS, but my eyes began to pain. The lack of framerate is visible. I think this is about the response time. Is there another factor involved in the "ghosting"?

As of today, I'm intending to buy my own LCD monitor. But which ones should I avoid for gaming and videos? Is everything about the response time?
Thanks!
mystzero
Well, framerate is an important factor. Anything below 60Hz will strain your eyes.

And, response time is not everything. Some LCD manufacturers compensate better response time with viewing angle. Therefore, some fast response time LCD have narrower viewing angle compared to those with slower response time. However, if you are planning to play games which contain fast motion (e.g. racing games), you should opt for one with faster response time to avoid ghosting.
fadirocks
I'm waiting for this
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Jul/gee20040720026074.htm
Smile
Zyphrius
When looking for an LCD that is good for gaming and videos, no ghosting, you should look at two things mainly

Contrast Ratio and Response Time (Refresh rate)

The lower the Response time in ms the better I have one with 2ms Response Time and have not seen any better in this range.

For the Contrast Ratio you want to find *:1 with the * being as high a # that you can find. mine is 2000:1, I have only seen one better than this with a contrast ratio of 3000:1

If you would like to take a look at these monitors they can found at the following links.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_regular/ls19medsbqxaa.asp

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084230&catid=

Enjoy and good luck!

EDIT: That first link has been updated to the samsung link to show monitor as it seems futureshop took it off their site.
Da Rossa
OMG, Zyph, I haven't seen anything above 700:1 in Contrast Ratio... and 2ms response time no way in Brazil yet... and I'm reluctant to buy from overseas... But those information you all gave me are valuable.
I'm surprised to see that the nice Apple Monitors are strong in size and resolution, but weak in contrast ratio and response time Sad
Ant the new CRT by samsung isn't likely to arrive in time... On the other hand the 22'' Acer and Samsung reach a top of 1600x1050 what is below the 1920 mark, that I wanted to watch HD Movies...

It seems that I need a new monitor exactly in a season of bad options... or is there one that combines a bit of each features?

Thanks men.
jay84h
You've never gamed until you've gamed on the 20" Widescreen Samsung 206BW monitor. 3000:1 contrast ratio, 2ms response time. Crystal clear screen. Highly recommended if you would likemto game, watch movies, or just do yuor daily computing tasks.
Da Rossa
Samsung 206BW. Added to the list Smile

But don't we have one exactly like the Samsung 206BW but with 22'' instead of 20"?
Obs: the 206BW has a energy consumption of 55W, a bit high for a LCD, or should I forget about a very low consuming monitor if my intentions are at this level?

edit: I found the 22'' one: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS22MEWSFVXAA.asp?page=Specifications
Mordane
I have two Hyundiai 17" LCD's (B70A/B71A)

They're good spec and fine for gaming, but when I look at todays prices I got ripped off something rotten (150 each AND they are only VGA, no DVI).

Posting this thread was a great idea, make sure you do indepth reseash before buying!
Zyphrius
That monitor you mentioned there Da Rossa looks okay it should definetly serve your purposes, it is definetly not as high quality as the two I mentioned previosuly here.

But it should definetly serve your purposes and will definetly perform better than the other screen you had.

Samsung is an excellent name for LCD cdreens they seem to set the bar for all other manufacturers.

The 1000:1 contrast ratio could be better but is definetly a high one and will serve wonders for gaming and video.

Also you got the 2ms refresh rate which is a major plus. You should not see any ghosting with that screen.

If you decide to get it I believe you will be very pleased.

And hey it's a 22" Widescreen, pretty sweet.

LOL

Enjoy!

EDIT: I now notice that is actually a 3000:1 so that would be the upgraded model from the 20" I showed you earlier, Very nice, you will definetly be very impressed

EDIT2: If you are wondering why there are two contrast ratios, the first is fro analog channel and the second is for the digital channel, sorry for any misunderstanding
jay84h
Da Rossa wrote:
Samsung 206BW. Added to the list Smile

But don't we have one exactly like the Samsung 206BW but with 22'' instead of 20"?
Obs: the 206BW has a energy consumption of 55W, a bit high for a LCD, or should I forget about a very low consuming monitor if my intentions are at this level?

edit: I found the 22'' one: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS22MEWSFVXAA.asp?page=Specifications

The 226BW is the 22" of the one I have, the 206BW. All the specs on both monitors are the exact same, the only thing that distinguishes these two are the size and thats it. The 20" gives the model 206BW and the 22" gives the model 226BW.
Bones
I don't have LCD myself, but my neighbor has an LCD with a 'slow' 16ms response time (not sure what the contrast ratio is) but I was really impressed with his monitor, as he gets no ghosting at all when gaming