FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Advertising for frihost = points?

IceCreamTruck
What about refferals or advertising for frihost gaining you points when frihost grows or gets more traffic because of your frihost website?

Instead of paying people cash for this service how about points?

This is just an idea that I've had for a while because I cannot always make the 30 day deadline believe it or not. I've tried keeping up with frihosts daily point reduction, but it's actually quite hard for those of us who loose internet connectivity periodicly, move from state the state, change jobs on a regular basis, or those who just so happen to be doing all of the above (like myself).

Life is really crazy sometimes and I believe that there should be more points in life. Many more... Oh I forgot to mention vacations above, but I guess you get my point that I have actually had a hard time making the deadline, and I feel like I've got good excuses. Well, maybe not, but I was just trying to advocate increasing the amount of points a person has from 35 maximum, to something like 50 so that you can get more than a month ahead.

I realize that this would decrease the number of posts in one month but I figured that frihost might be willing to make a sacrifice on account of it's recent successes (500k posts!! good job)

<ICT moves quietly back into the background>
Animal
IceCreamTruck wrote:
What about refferals or advertising for frihost gaining you points when frihost grows or gets more traffic because of your frihost website?

Instead of paying people cash for this service how about points?

This is an idea that has been suggested several times before:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-15948.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-41409.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13104.html

While it seems like quite a good idea in the outset, there are several issues that would need to be considered. Firstly, what constitutes a referred user? Just when someone signs up? If so, what would stop you creating a bunch of forum accounts without posting at all with any of them?

How about a user with ten posts or more? What's to stop the user copying and pasting or just blatantly spamming?

Would this cause problems with Frihost members spamming other forums in an attempt to gain their points?

The deal is that (IMO) it would add a real complexity and a lot of extra work. I don't think any user could expect to refer more than one or two long-term members, so the points you would gain out of this system would me minimal - from the staff point of view, the extra work probably wouldn't be worth it. As has been described many times before, the whole point in the points system (hope you're still following me Wink ) is to keep users active on the forum and potentially create a revenue stream for Frihost - this revenue is needed to pay for your free hosting. If we provide users with ways to make points without coming to the forum, the potential revenue drops big-time. I therefore don't believe that this would benefit Frihost as a whole.

IceCreamTruck wrote:
... but I guess you get my point that I have actually had a hard time making the deadline, and I feel like I've got good excuses. Well, maybe not, but I was just trying to advocate increasing the amount of points a person has from 35 maximum, to something like 50 so that you can get more than a month ahead.

The current maximum number of points you can have is 45 at the end of any "day" (not 35 as you suggest). This means you can be inactive on the forum for 45 days (a month and a half) without fear of having your account removed. We don't remove accounts until the points hit at least -20, so you actually have 65 days all-told to keep your hosting account - this is more than two months. If you really struggle to keep your points above -20 and your site simply needs to be kept active, then perhaps a free web host is not best suited to you. I don't mean this in any mean or accusing way, but if the posting is a real strain on your time and you can no-longer afford to dedicate that time to a forum, paying a few dollars a month for external hosting may be a better option for you personally.

I understand that users often have problems remaining active - at one point, I was away for three months and barely managed to post at all within that time. Still, I managed to keep the hosting account and was able to return to "full-service" after the few months, so in this case Frihost worked out very well for me. However, if this was a permanent thing where I could barely ever post due to work conditions / geographical location etc etc etc, then I would not be able to retain the account permanently, and Frihost would therefore not be the best hosting solution.

Just a thought...
IceCreamTruck
Animal wrote:
.. If you really struggle to keep your points above -20 and your site simply needs to be kept active, then perhaps a free web host is not best suited to you. I don't mean this in any mean or accusing way, but if the posting is a real strain on your time and you can no-longer afford to dedicate that time to a forum, paying a few dollars a month for external hosting may be a better option for you personally.

The fact that I can actually get a deatailed response to my question here just confirmed why I like FriHost so much, but as to the quote above you were very nice, and I don't feel "accused" of not being able to maintain the account with your statement or the point system itself. I simply am going through an interesting time in my life, but I fully intend update my website and keep it live. I'm just finding myself short of a little free time.

ONE QUCIK QUESTION: the "report user" button above has what consiquences? What happens when someone clicks that button, and doesn't that fundamentally generate more spam for the admins to deal with?
Animal
IceCreamTruck wrote:
ONE QUCIK QUESTION: the "report user" button above has what consiquences? What happens when someone clicks that button, and doesn't that fundamentally generate more spam for the admins to deal with?

The Report User button basically informs the staff of any user who you feel has broken the rules in some way - you are asked to provide a description of the violation you believe the user has committed. You can read more about the reporting system here.
Bondings
About the points, I might change the maximum of a post to 5 (the last increase). I wouldn't like to change the 45 maximum though. However, I might make (definately not soon) a sort of buffer of maximum 20-25 points where a part of the points of the 45+ reset go (like 50 reset to 45 and you get 0.5 or 1 buffer point).
Vrythramax
How would this effect staff who on a regular post more than normal? Weoud this also exxct our FRIH$ standin? many new users look to use as have a high point/FRIH$ value.

Not counting those who post strtctly to increase the amount of posts the make over a given amount of time...(no names mentioned) but how would effect us?
Blaster
I don't understand what you mean with the whole buffer thing. Please elaberate on that one.
tidruG
Blaster wrote:
I don't understand what you mean with the whole buffer thing. Please elaberate on that one.

From what I understood, it's like this... Imagine you have 70 points at the end of the day. When the Frihost cron job (I assume it's a cron job) reduces your points to 45, it would give you a bonus point/FRIH$ of 1.
Imagine, instead, that you have 90 points at the end of the day, when Frihost resets the points. Now, you'd have 45 + 3 (say). Get it?
Blaster
ok i think i get what you mean then. Thanks for clearing that up for me tidruG
IceCreamTruck
This topic was a total success. Questions were posed, and answered in detail. More questions were brought up, and those too have been answered accordingly.

Now the beast rests, lol. But I feel bad for bringing it up my original question because it makes me seem ungrateful for this cool system that allows me to have a free website.

LONG LIVE THE FREEDOM!! LONG LIVE FRIHOST!!

Hey, Bondings, if you lower the accumulated points you should start a club for those who remember easier times. Call the club "the 45ers" for all of us soon to be old timers. lmao!!
CyanEyed
Animal wrote:

While it seems like quite a good idea in the outset, there are several issues that would need to be considered. Firstly, what constitutes a referred user? Just when someone signs up? If so, what would stop you creating a bunch of forum accounts without posting at all with any of them?

How about a user with ten posts or more? What's to stop the user copying and pasting or just blatantly spamming?

Would this cause problems with Frihost members spamming other forums in an attempt to gain their points?

just to throw another idea up there, could a referred user be classed as someone who has successfully applied for hosting? that way, if the user spams, they wont get hosting and the referral wont count, and the same user cant make duplicate accounts either. i think it is a good idea the whole referral thing, but then there's the matter of how many points would be awarded per referral.

just putting in my thoughts Smile

CyanEyed
Bondings
@CyanEyed, that would be the only way I would consider implementing it. But still, I'm not really in favour of it.
Vrythramax
I think Bondings had the last word on this particular topic.

-locked-