FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Preferred language

X3 Talk
Where do you head when writing an application for your computer? What would be your preferred language? C, Visual Basic etc.

Would you stay with VB.NET etc.

I like Visual Basic with .NET Framework 2.0 because it is simple.
darth_revan
I prefer C and C++, they are what i actually want.
catscratches
I prefer C++, using Dev-C++ together with Irrlicht.
MrBlueSky
When you are specifically talking about an application for a standalone application on a windows PC, I use Perl to solve things quick but when I want a 'fancy' UI (which doesn't happen much) I use C# or Java.
qebab
I use Python or Ruby, depending on my mood. Of course, these aren't very low-level so there are things they are not good at - but I'm going to force myself to learn at least one of the Cs (C,C++,C#) that I've seen frequently used. And then I have to learn fortran through university... If this continues I'll truly end up with a tool for every task.
Liu
It depends what I want to do. You simply use different tools(languages) for varying programs.
cosmicx
I will go for C# or Java, both languages are my choice to develop any applications. Not so familiar with C++ especially the memory management... Laughing
snowboardalliance
I've learned Java this year and probably like it best at the moment. Next would be c++. Although we only scratched the surface in school I'm learning it on my own. Finally I like php for the web.

I don't know enough about other languages though really to make a good choice yet. I'm really just learning still.
qscomputing
My favourite languages at the moment are Perl and Tcl, despite the fact they are almost completely different. Smile If I need compiled I tend to use FreeBASIC.
ammonkc
I learned on Java in school. but I'm trying to delv into Cocoa Objective-C right now. I primarily use Macs (and linux for my servers) so I thought I would try out the cocoa framework. I like it so far. The development tools (Xcode and Interface Builder) are really good. I'm still a beginer at cocoa and Objective-C, but I'm starting to get the hang of it and I like it.
snicker
Liu wrote:
It depends what I want to do. You simply use different tools(languages) for varying programs.

I agree with Liu. In my case, Python for scripting, C++ (sort of.. I am not a purist...). And a little bit of java or C# when needed.

my 2 cents
deepak
X3 Talk wrote:
Would you stay with VB.NET etc.

I like Visual Basic with .NET Framework 2.0 because it is simple.

Crap Crap! Use Python.