FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

topics that are closed for no GOOD reason

Topics are closed for no good reason....
Never
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Occasionally
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
Regurlarly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All the time!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

dray101
I understand why topics sometimes need to be closed; like when someone has their question answered or is asking a question that already has a answer (in the FAQs or in another post etc.). But why close topics just because the discussion has changed from what it was originally etc.?
TOPIC: Online Privacy wrote:
I am closing this topic because it is fast becoming a subject of "how to escape being detected"
so what? I think that would be interesting and why stop the discussion. Its not like they can't just go start a new topic (for the off-topic discussion) and then all that will be accomplished as people who were on topic, now can't post in the old topic because its locked.

Or because it is just a an interest rather than a questioning topic
TOPIC: Greetings | in more than 800 languages ! wrote:
Sorry, but I don't see how this thread can lead to a discussion - people have already started posting lists of words, which is really just spamming.
Well actually it was leading to discussion, limited yes, but discussion never-the-less. I found this topic interesting, more interesting than some OTHER discussions (that weren't locked.

So what do you think? Do you have examples to share? (please include the name of the Topic in the quote [so other people can find it], possible like I have)
rheanna
I see it this way. They offer you free hosting. What's there to itch about over 1 or 2 topics? Besides it's their forum and they can do what they want. If you don't like how it's ran then get your own forum.
Liu
Just for irony, maybe a moderator should close this topic.

On a serious matter, if the topic did derail into how to escape authorities rather, frihost could get into serious legal matters for condoning illegal activities.
Kanoga
No, no.
Closing this topic is NOT a good idea.
The least you could do is have a discussion, THEN lock the topic. Razz
reddishblue
rheanna wrote:
I see it this way. They offer you free hosting. What's there to itch about over 1 or 2 topics? Besides it's their forum and they can do what they want. If you don't like how it's ran then get your own forum.

Yeah I have given up trying to help the staff, they just throw it in your face and say your backseat modding Mad
munkey_boy
reddishblue wrote:
they just throw it in your face and say your backseat modding Mad

Do you mean a simple reminder of the rules to somebody? Or full on modding?
reddishblue
munkey_boy wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
they just throw it in your face and say your backseat modding Mad

Do you mean a simple reminder of the rules to somebody? Or full on modding?

I was telling the people who made duplicate topics which topics they should have looked at by linking to them, then I did a report

Edit: Heres a good example http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-68470.html OK I admit it looks like what Animal does, problem is no other mods do it, and I really can't see whats wrong with telling noobies what a duplicate topic is, I only did this twice anyway
NuniPio
is it just me or does it seem like this post is getting a lil off topic?
m-productions
I really have not run into this problem at this site. I have in the past however been at sites where I was asking somthing, or was talking about somthing, and then they come and lock the topic for some reason, this gets kind of annoying because all I do is make another topic called Re: (the name of the old thread) and contunie it (with an explaination of why I made the topic again) However I only do this when I have to, if you really have somthing impotant to say, you can also try that, or, the best idea, why not PM the person who locked your topic and explain why you would like it re-open, Ive seen in many post here that where locked, where a mod has come back and unlocked it with a msg such as "after talking with so and so I have deicided to re-open this thread"
rightclickscott
What people need to understand is that most topics, such as this one, suck anyways. They usually lead to things that have already been talked about, or just spamming. I mean, when you have a large topic like my own Guess A Number Game, which is wildly popular, ground rules about posting have to be set. Guess your number, leave a small comment, then move on. No double posting, no obscenely long posts, etc. That's because that topic is awesome, and it serves the greater good of me giving everyone money, but I digress.

When it comes to general discussion topics, most of them are just asking to be locked. The mods are great like that. Hell, I know if I was a mod, I'd get bored and lock a topic I didn't like every once in a while. But some topics can spark arguements, are filled with common opinions, and are mostly full of bs that people shouldn't be talking about in the first place. This topic is a great example. If I was a mod, I'd lock it.
Liu
rightclickscott wrote:
What people need to understand is that most topics, such as this one, suck anyways. They usually lead to things that have already been talked about, or just spamming. I mean, when you have a large topic like my own Guess A Number Game, which is wildly popular, ground rules about posting have to be set. Guess your number, leave a small comment, then move on. No double posting, no obscenely long posts, etc. That's because that topic is awesome, and it serves the greater good of me giving everyone money, but I digress.

When it comes to general discussion topics, most of them are just asking to be locked. The mods are great like that. Hell, I know if I was a mod, I'd get bored and lock a topic I didn't like every once in a while. But some topics can spark arguements, are filled with common opinions, and are mostly full of bs that people shouldn't be talking about in the first place. This topic is a great example. If I was a mod, I'd lock it.

Did you even listen to yourself before you made this post?

I'm not entirely sure how a number game that requires no sense of intelligence and as you said its sole purpose is to earn money contributes equally or any more to the community over a general discussion on ideas with possibly varying opinions and arguments where an individual may develop their ideas more or learn something new. Your statement sounds greatly oppressive.

I hope my sarcasm detector is broken, otherwise your post makes me sad.

Edit: Upon further inspection, I am sad.
rightclickscott
Liu wrote:
Did you even listen to yourself before you made this post?

I don't know about you, but it's relatively hard for me to hear text.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure how a number game that requires no sense of intelligence and as you said its sole purpose is to earn money contributes equally or any more to the community over a general discussion on ideas with possibly varying opinions and arguments where an individual may develop their ideas more or learn something new. Your statement sounds greatly oppressive.

Yeah, it does. I think it's funny.

Quote:
I hope my sarcasm detector is broken, otherwise your post makes me sad.

It probably is. Or I'm just a douchebag.

*Checks his douche-o-meter*

It's off the f***ing rictor! D:

Quote:
Edit: Upon further inspection, I am sad.

Hehehehehehe.
mathiaus
dray101 wrote:
But why close topics just because the discussion has changed from what it was originally etc.?
TOPIC: Online Privacy wrote:
I am closing this topic because it is fast becoming a subject of "how to escape being detected"
so what? I think that would be interesting and why stop the discussion. Its not like they can't just go start a new topic (for the off-topic discussion) and then all that will be accomplished as people who were on topic, now can't post in the old topic because its locked.

That wasn't closed because the topic changed, but because of what it changed too. Detection is there for security, getting past it all removes all security and hell can break loose. If I can pay for things using your credit card for instance, without having to do anythign other than enter the card number, you will have lost out, due to an insecure system. Frihost works the same, we need some form of identifying people. When (as has happened), people abuse the servers, if we can't uniquely identify people, how can we keep them away and allow those who don't abuse the servers, to have hosting?
That topic is currently under review by staff and you may well see it open soon. Stop complaining though!

dray101 wrote:
Or because it is just a an interest rather than a questioning topic
TOPIC: Greetings | in more than 800 languages ! wrote:
Sorry, but I don't see how this thread can lead to a discussion - people have already started posting lists of words, which is really just spamming.
Well actually it was leading to discussion, limited yes, but discussion never-the-less. I found this topic interesting, more interesting than some OTHER discussions (that weren't locked.

That topic was rightfully locked. That is spam, simply copying and pasting hello in different languages. You are not given hosting for that. As for discussion, yeah right! That topic can't be discussed.

Liu wrote:
On a serious matter, if the topic did derail into how to escape authorities rather, frihost could get into serious legal matters for condoning illegal activities.

While this is true, it rarely the reason for a topic being locked.

reddishblue wrote:
I was telling the people who made duplicate topics which topics they should have looked at by linking to them, then I did a report

Edit: Heres a good example http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-68470.html OK I admit it looks like what Animal does, problem is no other mods do it, and I really can't see whats wrong with telling noobies what a duplicate topic is, I only did this twice anyway

The report function is there so you don't make such posts, not so you can do both. The idea is to report it rather than backseat mod. By the way, we really do appreciate all the people that report users, topics and posts. It greatly increases our efficiency and makes our jobs easier Smile

Liu wrote:
Just for irony, maybe a moderator should close this topic.

-close-
I love to be ironic Razz

These sorts of topics are not allowed. They have been posted before and each time the same thing has been repeated. If you have a problem with a mod, sort out via PM with them. If someone locks your topic, PM them, ask why if you wish but be polite.

For example, I recently closed a reported topic due to it asking specificly for people aged 14 and under to reply. Blaster and jylan (sorry for mentioning names but they have been good here!), both PM'd me, politely asked me why I decided to lock the topic. I discussed why with both users and came up with a way the same topic could be discussed without infringing on safety rules. The new topic is doing well and everyones happy. Neither I or the mebers (as far as they have let out), is angry, leading to a happy Frihost Very Happy