FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eoin Colfer

Holy
I may sound like a little kid (I'm not, I'm actually 16), but I find Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series as one of the best book series I've ever read. If you've read one of the books then you'd probably say the same thing. Has anyone read any of these books?
check out the books at:
www.artemisfowl.co.uk
www.artemisfowl.com

A new book just recently came out called Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. It's won two awards, the New York Times Bestseller and the Book Sense National Bestseller. Here's a little overview of it.

Quote:
Quoted from www.ArtemisFowl.com

Ten thousand years ago, humans and fairies fought a great battle for the magical island of Ireland. When it became clear to the fairy families that they could never win, they decided to move their civilization underground and keep themselves hidden from the humans. All the fairy families agreed on this, except the eighth family, the demons.

The demons planned to lift their small island out of time until they had regrouped and were ready to wage war on the humans once more. However, the time spell went wrong, and the island of Hybras was catapulted into Limbo, where it has remained for ten thousand years.

Now the tainted time spell is deteriorating and demons are being sucked back into the present space and time. The fairy council is concerned about this and is monitoring any materializations. But when the spell’s deterioration accelerates, the materializations become unpredictable. Even the fairy scientists cannot figure out where the next demon will pop up.

But someone can. Artemis Fowl, teenage criminal mastermind, has solved temporal equations that no normal human should be intelligent enough to understand. So when a confused and frightened demon pops up in a Sicilian theater, Artemis Fowl is there to meet him. Unfortunately, he is not the only one. A second, mysterious party has also solved temporal equations, and has managed to abduct the demon before Artemis can secure him.

Once again, Artemis will have to pair up with his old comrade, Captain Holly Short, to track down the missing demon and rescue him, before the time spell dissolves completely and the lost demon colony returns violently to Earth.

If you like adventure and "fantasy like" books I would highly recommend reading these. Mr. Green
Kanoga
I'm waiting for the next Artemis Fowl book.
I <3'd the first 4 and I can't wait for the next.....But something tells me it's going to end very soon. :/
I'm also waiting for the Artemis Fowl movie even though I don't think it'll be that good. Meh.

Oh and Hi Holy, greetings from a Mudboy. Razz
darvit
Hey there fellow Fowl-fans! Smile

As you can obviously see, I'm an Artemis Fowl fan myself! Very Happy
[my username is derived from the fictional Gnommish swear word D'Arvit Laughing]

I seem too old for the series as well [I'm 19 Surprised], but I just don't care, I love Eoin Colfer's tongue-in-cheek, action-packed books riddled with witty one-liners and dry humor. I mean, who would have ever thought of creating a whole series that centers on a 12 year-old criminal mastermind? I think that Artemis Fowl kicks Harry Potter squarely in the ass. Wink Even my die-hard Potter pals [whom I've converted to Fowlism] say so. Older people enjoy the series as well, as I've discovered that some of my friends actually [secretly] love AF.

Have you guys heard of the movie that is supposedly on the works?

Check this out: Artemis Fowl Movie. This fansite is where I get my Artemis Fowl information--it's the best I've seen so far. Cool
soccerplaya2090
im 16 also Very Happy and i love the books i had one of them in like 4th or 5th grade but never read it until december of 06 lol and got hooked and read them all Shocked lol but yea hope theres more to come one of my friends has read them all but he started when i first got the book lol but yea its a great book i would suggest it to anyone of any age
Nameless
I've read most of Colfer's books, Artemis Fowl included. The first book was very good, for various reasons I'm sure I've mentioned on these forums before (mostly, the resolution was unpredictable compared to later books in the series where the story/ending was very predictable, although Lost Colony's ending was an improvement in 'awesomeness' if not unpredictability) but they don't really stand up to things like Harry Potter, Wheel of Time, or any of Garth Nix's books, for example. They're different styles, though, so naturally they appeal to different people...
Telnven
Quote:
A new book just recently came out called Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. It's won two awards, the New York Times Bestseller and the Book Sense National Bestseller. Here's a little overview of it.

I found AF: TLC to be a real letdown, it was too "happy clappy" and really lets down the rest of the series.

Similarily to the Stormbreaker movie, it lost the tension that the books had and made the whole affair seem nicer.
sondosia
I love this series. Does anyone know anything about the next book?
darvit
AF: TLC wouldn't be my favorite book out of the series, but it's still a good book.

The next one after TLC is still untitled, but so far, all info that we're given is about ...
***The Lost Colony SPOILER WARNING***

...Artemis' twin siblings. Colfer had said that he's leaning towards naming them Finian and Jonathan. Fans speculate that one brother would be almost like Artemis, while the other one wouldn't be.

*END SPOILER*

Colfer also mentioned that the next book would
Quote:

"...involve Finland, monstrous creatures that have lain dormant for millennia, time travel and TLC SPOILER:little brothers who are pains in the butt."

Here's an interview link and the Wikipedia entry. You might want to check this list of subjects that need to be resolved in the next book.

Hope that helped! Razz

Oh, and by the way, there's a new gimmick going on at Eoin Colfer's official website. If you're lazy to translate the message, here's a translation. Looks like Mr. Colfer's site would be getting a facelift on April 20th. Smile
JinTenshi
Wow! I thought I've already read the entire series of Artemis Fowl. There's more coming out? AF : TLC. Interesting! Thanks for the websites and reviews. I really loved the book when I read it. I'm 17 now, read it when I was 16. Really awesome!
nilsmo
Artemis Fowl is the best fiction book. Period. I stayed up all night to read the first book.
poly
Yeah it's pretty good.. I read more fascinating books though...
meet in rio
I've read funnier books and I've read some better fantasy novels, but I haven't found any which combine the two elements so well, ans for that I will certainly give Eoin Colfer credit.

The books are fairly entertaining and original, although they don't rank amongst my favourites.

(I'm nineteen, by the way.)
darvit
By the way, Mr. Colfer's already got a blog. XD He seems to enjoy vblogging, though, and not so much the actual writing. Laughing He's just written a new novel called "Airman".

There is also an Artemis Fowl Graphic Novel to be released on October 2nd, though I'm not such a huge fan of the character design. Sad
Holy
Does anyone know if the next book has come out yet? I really want to read it. And hello my fellow friends Very Happy
Genesiz
Artemis Fowl is one of my most favourite series of novels. Can't wait for the sixth (and final i believe) book to come out.

Regarding some of Colfer's other works, The Supernaturalist was great, and i liked the reference to Phonetix from AF.
nilsmo
poly wrote:
Yeah it's pretty good.. I read more fascinating books though...

Which ones? Are you talking about fiction books?
BlockUp
Yup, read 'em. I'm sixteen too. I thought they were really good, but my type of sci-fi is more like Mitch Albom's writing. Still good though, enjoyed all Colfer's books.
darvit
Holy wrote:
Does anyone know if the next book has come out yet? I really want to read it. And hello my fellow friends Very Happy

Not much info on the next book yet, though. I posted this news article on an Artemis Fowl fansite regarding the upcoming sixth book, some movie news, and his new novel "Airman" which you may want to read here.

By the way, we're writing a letter to Colfer. XD Come join in, if you want to. The more, the merrier! Very Happy
BlockUp
Ha! Are you serious? The book is based on fantasy so that kids don't see Artemis Fowl as a role model. What's the point in those faeries and goblins and elves... the story could be as interesting with mob and gang members... but its written for kids. And even adults can revel in it.
Genesiz
I think the whole idea of including elves and goblins and trolls etc. is so that you do not believe that the story is real, but by including it in a believable setting, you still have a slight feeling that it may be true. In my opinion, that is the mark of a good writer; one who can write a fictional story, but still make you feel as though it could really be happening.