FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Phrases I hate. Add your own if you want.





ocalhoun
Hated phrase 1:
... in the real world....
*I always want to shout "I KNEW IT! I KNEW THIS WORLD WAS FAKE!" whenever I hear that.

Hated phrase 2:
I'm starving!
*I hate this phrase when it is used by some fat, hungry person. I always want to say to them "good sir, you are the exact opposite of starving."

Are there any such phrases you hate?
tidruG
Well, in order to keep this thread open, I'm going to lay some ground rules.
Please don't just mention the posts. Also give an example, like ocalhoun has. And also, try mentioning why you don't like the particular phrase.

I, personally, now can only think of 1 "phrase" that really drives a worm up my arse:
"It was a rocking <insert noun here. eg:time>"
It's just bloody over-used where I live.
Wynand
I hate the phrase: ‘You must do this because it is compulsory’. When on earth is it a reason to do something because it is compulsory?
Holy
Well a phrase I hate is "Your mom."/"Your mother."/"Your motha."/"Yo motha." and all phrases like that. The reason I hate them is because once you really start saying them a lot, you can't stop. I say it all the time, but I don't mean to. My other friend says it for anything. Like "So, Blaine. Do you want some popcorn?" and he says "Your momma wants popcorn!" lol. It's very stupid, but I guess that's the point of it. Laughing
darrenpaul
I hate when someone uses/says "Hunni/Hunny" so annoying, really common and just makes the person look like a fool.
Wilio
I hate when someone says:
I need money.
Blaster
I hate your mother and all the rest of them too. Mainly because it is soo overused and gets anoying after a while.
Donutey
"Your dad"

Mostly because it defeats my expertly place "your mom" comments.
iNs@nE
Well, I see that most of you people are on the abusing front...

Mine is a little different..I hate it when people say " You're Lucky "

I mean..WTF>..you work you ass off to get to where you are when people are pointing a finger at you trying to bring you down your every move..and when you finally reach the top..

hell lotta people come up to you and tell you how lucky you are..Luck..? Did that bring me to where I am today..? HELL NO. I dont think so...
oleszka
I hate these :"Don't worry", "Take Care"
ankur.vatsa
Ever heard or used :

"Actually the fact is....."

I find it funny, what do you call facts that are not actual!!! Laughing

There are lots of such phrases, but this one is real funny
a.Bird
iNs@nE wrote:
Well, I see that most of you people are on the abusing front...

Mine is a little different..I hate it when people say " You're Lucky "

I mean..WTF>..you work you ass off to get to where you are when people are pointing a finger at you trying to bring you down your every move..and when you finally reach the top..

hell lotta people come up to you and tell you how lucky you are..Luck..? Did that bring me to where I am today..? HELL NO. I dont think so...

Haha, wonderful. I completely agree.

As predictable as this probably sounds, I absolutely cannot stand the "That's gay" remark made by individuals who think something does not meet their standard of what is acceptable. There is no way around it, it is a completely biased and obtuse remark. Inanimate objects and metaphysical ideas cannot have a sexual identity, nor if they could would the statement "That's so gay" lack an ounce of hatred towards an entire population of human beings without a shred of justification.
Insanity
"Whatever."

That phrase just pisses me off when someone is using it as a rebuttal. It's so obvious that they just can't think of a comeback and just try to blow it off with a random word/hand gesture. How sophisticated and intelligent.
fx-trading-education
I don't like when people use words that are excessive compared to the real meaning.
For instance nowadays, everything is great, excellent, terrific, awesome...
This words have completely lost their actual meaning because people use it all the time for insignificant things.
X3 Talk
I hate it when you're in the middle of something and someone says "be careful". As if I already wasn't...
reddishblue
I hate it when people say "Get a Life" I always say "Oh you mean one like yours where you go around telling people to get a life" Cool
jipmerite
I hate "You have to..."

I don't think there is much we HAVE to do in this life. It's really a matter fo choice. I do it if I WANT to. Of course there are somethings I should do like respect my parents or something of that sort. But like getting a higher degree. People tell me I Have to do it. I disagree. I will do it if I want to but I don't HAVE to. I think I can find something else to do and even end up better for it, maybe.
HoboPelican
How about "literally" being used when they actually mean "figuratively", the exact opposite?

"I'm literally starving", "I literally shit a brick"

People use it as an indicator of excess or extreme when what it really means (or used to mean) is "actually" or "in fact". Of course, usage is changing it's meaning like most misused words, but it still grinds my gears.
Vrythramax
I hate the phrase "if you don't do [whatever], all hell will break loose".

puhleeeeez!

I work for the phone company and if hell was gonna break out and take over....that may just be the place it sets up office at.

At least if Satan was in charge I wouldn't have to explain why your unused minutes don't roll-over any more.
funnyerror
I hate the phrase "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

REASON: Because nobody says it
ocalhoun
funnyerror wrote:
I hate the phrase "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

REASON: Because nobody says it

My grandma said it in my presence only 2 days ago...
rheanna
it's a conspiracy Laughing Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
^ You think everything is a conspiracy...
Yazz
It's not so much a phrase as a word that's commonly used as a phrase.

"Whatever"

Holy crap I hate that so much. Not only in arguments, but when you're trying to apologize or trying to say something that actually means something to you?

What kind of respect is "Whatever"? It's absolutely condescending and it just gets me really ticked off.
Blaster
I agree i also hate What ever. My sister says it all the time. Its soo stupid and doesn't make any sense at all.
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
^ You think everything is a conspiracy...


BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Cool

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

*still laughing*
rheanna
Laughing yeah, well that 1972 link i posted seems kind of interesting on what going on with today. hahaha

I keep an open mind conspiracy or not.
Vrythramax
rheanna wrote:
Laughing yeah, well that 1972 link i posted seems kind of interesting on what going on with today. hahaha

I keep an open mind conspiracy or not.


C'mon, this all in good fun....besides...no blood, no foul Very Happy
cybernie
for me, the phrase that's really a sore in my ear is:

you're just _________ and i am ______!

that makes flare out!
Handermier
The phrase I can't stand has to be anything like "Whatever!", "Awesome!", and not to mention slang. It is over used and makes them look either like valley girls or surfers. Both are missing about three quarters of their brain.

Other than that, the ghetto slang is terribly annoying and the old phrases that were barely used in their own time. I guess anything that isn't modern annoys me.

-Handermier
clarinda0551
ocalhoun wrote:
Hated phrase 1:
Hated phrase 2:
I'm starving!
*I hate this phrase when it is used by some fat, hungry person. I always want to say to them "good sir, you are the exact opposite of starving."

Are there any such phrases you hate?


You should reply "Oh yeah? Of course you people are starving coz the are the course of starvation"
Nameless
It's not really a phrase, but anybody using the word 'like' in ungrammatical contexts. Or every second word. Or BOTH. Rolling Eyes

"I'm not an 'x', but..." - Do I need to explain that? No? Good.

EDIT: Oh, and of course one phrase that I think sums up human stupidity:

"Over 'x' 'y's can't be wrong!"
FaLLeN
I dont know how often people hear this one but i hate when people say 'hell' in between things.

For example if you see a good movie instead of someone saying "That movie was so good!" Someone will say "That was hell good"
Dunno if you get it, but i really hate that!
tbsmicro
my hated phrase

"shutup" when someone is amazed or shocked at what you've just said. O.k I'll shut the @@@@ up and not tell you the rest of the gossip then !!!

or

"I know " in empathy for something just said, when they obviously DON'T KNOW !!!

I also have to agree with the "your momma" and "whatever"
Chelissamow
I hate it when people say 'This is gay' when they're describing an object or... something that has happened. How can an object be homosexual anyways?

And I also hate when people say '-Noun-'s so ___ it's not even funny!' Uh... why would it be funny in the first place?
PatTheGreat42
I hate when people are on the phone and greet themselves with the phrase "Hey it's me."

First off, it's evident that it's you. It's not like you could suddenly be someone else on the phone. To do so would require some crazy quantum stuff that I can't even comprehend right now. It's crazy.

I understand that the point is that you can recognize them by their voice. But if they're depending on their voice in order to have you recognize them, why don't they just start talking? It seems that it would be more efficient.

If you really wanted a greeting phrase to give them a chance to recognize you before delivering actual information, but still don't want to reveal your name, why not something innane and pleasent, like "Hope you're having a wonderful day!"

In conclusion, when you call me, either something friendly and pointless or "Hey it's [your name here]."
Anotherevil
"Can I ask you a question?"

I know the phrase is from a joke, but I agree with whoever wrote the joke. I mean how can you ask a question to ask a question? It makes no logical sense? Just get on with the actual question!
Macbeth
My pesonal hated one is

" You need to learn"

Like "You need to learn how to drive" when in fact I took driver's ed, i've been on the road for a few years now and so far have not gotten into any serious or fatal accidents >_<

or

"You need to learn to do the dishes"
Implying the fact that I should do them more often or right then or SOMETHING I honestly don't know! Im not stupid. I do know how to do basic tasks through out my day >.<
jharsika
Anotherevil wrote:
"Can I ask you a question?"

I know the phrase is from a joke, but I agree with whoever wrote the joke. I mean how can you ask a question to ask a question? It makes no logical sense? Just get on with the actual question!

lol that's when you reply with....."I guess I don't have a choice....."

I hate when people over use "like", for some reason even people in highschool can't like, get like, over like that like. OMG
I hate when people say "omg" first of all they're not christain or religious or anything, second of all, if they were that's using his name in vain! Hah! It's ironic! or something....

I also hate when someone says something and someone else randomly shouts "you're ---" whatever they said. It was funny for a while...but that was about 2 years ago. For example actual conversation: Person 1:"What time is it?" Person 2: "Half past nine" Person 3 randomly walking by: "YOU"RE half past nine!!!!" It's like a lame comeback....I don't know...but very annoying. [this is when someone would say "You're very annoying!"]
j_f_k
My top 3 irritants are


but dad...

its not fair

make me
justnewbie
"I don't know what to say, but I'm sorry.. Really really sorry."
"I know.. but sorry."
"I just want you to know that I'm really sorry."

Actually I don't hate to hear this phrase, ,but when you heard the person repeatedly repeating the darn phrase, you'll know what I mean.
Heart Ticket
ocalhoun wrote:
Hated phrase 1:
... in the real world....
*I always want to shout "I KNEW IT! I KNEW THIS WORLD WAS FAKE!" whenever I hear that.

Hated phrase 2:
I'm starving!
*I hate this phrase when it is used by some fat, hungry person. I always want to say to them "good sir, you are the exact opposite of starving."

Are there any such phrases you hate?


Its not as much of a phrase, more of a word "Fag" most used by americans (no offence, ive played xbox live for 6 years now and its all i really hear them shout).

James
varon
LOL This thread is amusing Wink Everyone is just pilosopo about the phrases they hate (a Tagalog term, sorry, I can't quite translate).

Anyway, the phrase that irks me most of all is "having a bright future" -- mostly because Filipinos misuse (or overuse?) it. I hate the connotation, more so, because people use it in association with having a lot of money or a lot of propety to guarantee security. I mean, that's NOT everything. The "brightness" of the future (and what a funny term it is) doesn't depend on material things.

It sucks, having to hear it in speeches and homilies wherever you go.
Clumsy93
The phrase i hate the most is "What ever floats your boat!".....

I DON'T HAVE A BOAT!!!!
pieman
I hate people using 'You know' just to fill up what would be a pause while they think of something to say. As a football fan, I hear it all the time interviews. Some people use it four or five times a sentence! The worst offender must be David Beckham. It doesn't mean anything, what's the point in saying it?! Why not just say erm... or even better, get to the bloomin' point of what you're trying to say!
kazikame
"skeen", and most other slang. I understand why adults don't like the youth. I can't understand what they're saying, and I'm one of them!

(sorry if that post made no sense.)
TurkishGamer
I also hate the "yo momma" thing. Its so annoying.
StickHotel
i have so many lol
Srs2388
I know this has been said but... The one phrase I cannot stand is
"Whatever"
I hate it, it is sarcastic and annoying. It is one word that really really really gets under my skin.
or... BET DAT!
another i hate with a passion is "get er dun" people even spell it that way... I mean WTF!
charisco
I would say the one phrase that really irritates me is "My bad." which is used as slange to claim fault of something. Such as my teen daughter will spill her drink and then say, "My bad." My reply is usually, "Uh yeah it is now get something and clean it up."
TheGustav
Chelissamow wrote:
I hate it when people say 'This is gay' when they're describing an object or... something that has happened. How can an object be homosexual anyways?

And I also hate when people say '-Noun-'s so ___ it's not even funny!' Uh... why would it be funny in the first place?


I definately agree with this one!

"Dude, that movie was gay!" nothing is more annoying. Smile But nothing else is used near as much as that where I live Rolling Eyes
hunnyhiteshseth
pieman wrote:
I hate people using 'You know' just to fill up what would be a pause while they think of something to say. As a football fan, I hear it all the time interviews. Some people use it four or five times a sentence! The worst offender must be David Beckham. It doesn't mean anything, what's the point in saying it?! Why not just say erm... or even better, get to the bloomin' point of what you're trying to say!


I completely agree with you.
Why they say "you know" repeatedly after few words, because if we know everything why the ****** they are speaking?
One of my teachers used it & really hated it because it hampered the flow of information which she was telling, I had to mentally remove each 'you know' to understand the sentence.

I also hate phrases like:

lol -- laughing out loud
rofl -- rolling on floor laughing
LMFAO -- laughing my ****** ass off

I hate them because they are being used completely out of context, people use lol when they are just smiling & I dont think someone rolls on floor laughing.
DeFwh
I hate when people say:

"Thats so cute!" (especially when they say that to everything even the things that if they actually had to be in a room with like a monkey would freak out)

"Like oh my god!" (Please shut up now)

"Whats Frihost?" (I hate it because they dont know but I like it because i get to spread the word)
tiboo211
"Thats so cute!" Arrow I agree with that because sometimes it isn't cute at all but people only "have to" say that because they don't know waht to say else!

I don't like when people say I'm nice, aven if it's true Wink because once I was told that when you don't know what to say about a girl, you say she's nice!! Evil or Very Mad

And my last but not least is a kind of hypocrite sentence, when people say:
"If you need anything, you can ask me! " Because most of the time, they are not there when I need them!!!
jabapyth
"legit". its really annoying. Evil or Very Mad
also "duh", which isnt used as much anymore, but equally annoying.
do i need to add "like"? i once counted a teacher improperly use the word "like" 234 times in a single class period. Talk about annoying
HoboPelican
jabapyth wrote:
...i once counted a teacher improperly use the word "like" 234 times in a single class period. Talk about annoying


Is that even possible?! That is saying "like" an average of almost 5 times a minute! And that assumes the teach was talking the entire time.... I think I would have literally gone crazy! Wink
Vrythramax
jharsika wrote:
lol that's when you reply with....."I guess I don't have a choice....."

I hate when people over use "like", for some reason even people in highschool can't like, get like, over like that like. OMG
I hate when people say "omg" first of all they're not christain or religious or anything, second of all, if they were that's using his name in vain! Hah! It's ironic! or something....

I also hate when someone says something and someone else randomly shouts "you're ---" whatever they said. It was funny for a while...but that was about 2 years ago. For example actual conversation: Person 1:"What time is it?" Person 2: "Half past nine" Person 3 randomly walking by: "YOU"RE half past nine!!!!" It's like a lame comeback....I don't know...but very annoying. [this is when someone would say "You're very annoying!"]


OMG, I like so don't understand your argument here.

Nice post....your half past spam. Twisted Evil

P.S. I know I'm annoying....I practice at it Smile

Peace.
TruPain
I hate the following:

1: Just wait a sec.

2: Told ya so.

3: What if...

There are many others, but these are the one that really bother me... ecspecially the Just wait a sec.... my daughter uses it way too often... and trying to break her of that is getting to be extremely hard...
Vrythramax
TruPain wrote:
I hate the following:

1: Just wait a sec.

2: Told ya so.

3: What if...

There are many others, but these are the one that really bother me... ecspecially the Just wait a sec.... my daughter uses it way too often... and trying to break her of that is getting to be extremely hard...


Another variation of that same phrase is when on the phone with someone and the say "hold on for just a second" and leave you hanging there for 10 minutes.....then tell you "oh I had to put out a fire/go to the store/make dinner/rescue the nieghbors cat from a tree.....when they could just say "I'll call you back".

My Mom if famous for that one....drives me nuts.
mschnell
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

I also hate phrases like:

lol -- laughing out loud
rofl -- rolling on floor laughing
LMFAO -- laughing my ****** ass off

I dislike them because they are being used completely out of context, people use lol when they are just smiling & I don't think someone rolls on floor laughing.


That's too true. I also generally dislike when people try to shorten words or phrases by changing them to things like, u2, u, l8r, rt. I still don't even know what rt means. When people send me messages full of this stuff it takes me three times as long to read because I have to pick through what each of the instances mean.
spazbutt32
I hate "Life is hard.."

Compared to what?
DeFwh
spazbutt32 wrote:
I hate "Life is hard.."

Compared to what?


So true, if life was easy what would be the point of living.
Vrythramax
spazbutt32 wrote:
I hate "Life is hard.."

Compared to what?


I imagine death could be a real pain in the arse.

DeFwh wrote:

So true, if life was easy what would be the point of living.


There is an extremely old Buddhist saying that goes:

"Life is pain, suffering is optional"
DeFwh
Vrythramax wrote:
I imagine death could be a real pain in the arse.


Well depends on how you go, for some its a release from pain and for others its a tragic experience. Those who are already in pain/suffering would no longer be suffering. The only ones left to suffer are the ones who loved them.

Remember death is only another step in life that everyone must take sooner or later.
{name here}
Every internet phrase that attempts to butcher the English language I dispise.
bigdan
A lot of phrases, but mainly this one. The Seven Network has the bloody stupid slogan "GOTTALOVEIT". It's bloody idiotic and wanky. Thankfully, our local Seven affiliate doesn't use it. Seven - GOTTALOVESHIT. Wink
NAJohnson
"New and Improved" You can have one but not the other. If It's new It's not improved, but if it's improved it's not new.
Vrythramax
NAJohnson wrote:
"New and Improved" You can have one but not the other. If It's new It's not improved, but if it's improved it's not new.


Ohhhh so very true!!!!! Cool Applause
nilsmo
Gotta be "please" and "thank you" So time consuming! Wink
catscratches
Everything including religion or wrong usage of the swedish words "de" or "dem". Hate it...

Anyway, I really hate the McDonalds phrase, yew. Irritating. hate McDonalds. I hate many things! So to not ruin your day totaly, I'll quit writing now.

EDIT: Really, really, really hate 'noun is gay'. Like 'school's gay'. Using gay as something negative upsets me. I mean, what the ****** have any gay done to you! They are persons like anyone else! It also really hurts when people say like 'Hello, I'm emo, I cut myself every day', or such things.
Reasons:
1. I'm emo, it's a music style. But they associate it with "stupid" just like gay.
2. It hurts when everyone downgrade cutting and it makes you feel like a ****** fool, I'm an addict, I can't stop. I don't want to. So don't say something like that. You don't know what it's like!

Also when people look down at you since you're hardrocker/emo. That sucks!
{name here}
catscratches wrote:

EDIT: Really, really, really hate 'noun is gay'. Like 'school's gay'. Using gay as something negative upsets me. I mean, what the ****** have any gay done to you! They are persons like anyone else!

What's truly funny is if you use the true meaning of the word, which means "cheerful", so they're expressing the opposite of what they truly want to say.

Quote:

2. It hurts when everyone downgrade cutting and it makes you feel like a ****** fool, I'm an addict, I can't stop. I don't want to. So don't say something like that. You don't know what it's like!

I can sympathize with them in the fact that cutting yourself is illogical unless there is something wrong with a limb where you must cut yourself to save your life. I however, can also sympathize with you because you are a sadist, though through intense psychotherapy you can cure yourself of the disorder.
riv_
No skin off my back...
What? And the alternative is what, "Hey, that really peels my back!"
Really.
Or 'I'm going to Unthaw something for dinner." I don't think so! I haven't yet seen anyone put a nicely thawed chunk of steak back in the freezer!
Nameless
bigdan wrote:
A lot of phrases, but mainly this one. The Seven Network has the bloody stupid slogan "GOTTALOVEIT". It's bloody idiotic and wanky. Thankfully, our local Seven affiliate doesn't use it. Seven - GOTTALOVESHIT. Wink


I think channel ten's adding the word 'seriously' to every single self promotion is more annoying. But then again, all self promotions are annoying whatever the pointless slogon. Seriously. Rolling Eyes

Vrythramax wrote:
NAJohnson wrote:
"New and Improved" You can have one but not the other. If It's new It's not improved, but if it's improved it's not new.


Ohhhh so very true!!!!! Cool Applause


It's a new improvement. Pwned. Razz
Crazy_Canuck
The phrases that I hate are cliches that you usually hear in the business world, by people in suits who want to sound either smart or hip, and are usually neither:

"paradigm shift" (just say, do things differently)
"think outside the box" (just say, think differently)
"at the end of the day" (what?!? what will happen? basically means, I'm helpless to make things any different, so let's just wait until something happens)
"when the rubber hits the road" (ugggh)
"it doesn't take a rocket scientist" (unless you're trying to land a man on Mars)
"you don't know what you don't know" (a lousy excuse for being ignorant of something you OUGHT to know)

Also, in companies' vision & value statements, the following should be punishable by death:

"committed to innovation"
"customer-focused"
"we put our people first"

Guaranteed any company that has to say those things, probably doesn't do those things.

Thanks, good to get that off my chest. Very Happy
mialynavahy
i hate this phrase : "i already told you that..." and this one "i know exactly what you think"
meet in rio
Hopefully...
No offence, but... [the most offensive thing that anyone has ever said]
I'm not racist/homophobic/Islamophobic - I have loads of black/gay/Muslim friends - but... [huge and bigoted generalisation]


'Less/fewer' clangers.

And any half-arsed references to ninjas, pirates, crack cocaine, monkeys or cheese. Not funny.
Rwoodx
I HATE THE "don't worry be happy" it's stupid everyone has to worry bout' something sooner or later, it's human philosophy
ReubenWilliams
I hate "its always in the last place you look!"

Because otherwise you would have to keep looking after you had found it. Which would be really stupid, but thanks for pointing that out! Idea
Aiz
The phrase that ticks me off the most is "Because." when you ask them a question, like:

"Why did you lie to me?" "Because."

For some reason, that gets to me when the similar "no reason", which is also evasive does not.


Recently I've started to hate the phrase "You know?" Because some guy I know uses that at least once in every sentence he says, it gives me headaches, especially when he talks in a patronizing manner and say "no, you don't understand,...blah blah, you know?" I don't mind the phrase in normal light usage as something to keep the listener involved in a conversation, but in overuse, it's awful.
mostwanted
I hate it when people say "no offience" after they make an insult. Its kind of like saying "omg don't kill me for what i just said." i don't know why they make an instult and expect you not to take it personal. Rolling Eyes
alfiqrah
I hate the phrase 'i don't know'

it is because when someone say that word (plus the body language) it means the end of the conversation or discussion...

the phrase 'i don't know' won't help anyone to solve any problem... you are just running from the reality and be the negative and passive person... why don't you try answer it in a better way such as 'let me try and find out the answer for you' or just give or say something that you know about whatever topic you've discuss...
Q5U8
Burn up... Burn down... whatta...?

Burn in...

Burn out...

Is very complicated to understand why to use antonym (opposite) adverbs for the same meaning...
sodredge
If I never hear some pompus arse say " I told you so " ever again it will be too soon. Wink
Fuzzy-Duck
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
The phrases that I hate are cliches that you usually hear in the business world


I agree completely - and I'm sure I could add ten more examples, but that'd just depress me by making me think of work Wink

One particular phrase I always notice, and hate, is: "At the end of the day, ..."

Aaargh!!! Just typing it annoyed me! As in:

"At the end of the day, we're doing all we can for to put your case forward but there's only a limited budget spend this fiscal year, so Malcolm might not be able to allocate as freely he would like to in certain areas..."

Really, that whole sentence is a lovely example of corporate bs! Specifially though, what on earth do people really mean when they say "at the end of the day"?!?

It always seems to be preceeded by a resigned sigh too - I wonder why? I think people tend to use it to try to "wrap up" a discussion hehe

Cheers,
fuzzy
Soulfire
Quote:
Both are missing about three quarters of their brain.
Pretty big generalization there.

At any rate, I dislike the phrase "Pleasantly plump" - my friends have chosen to describe some kids that way, and it just pisses me off. Just call the kid fat for Heaven's sake or don't beat around the bush and try to dress it up and make it nice.
standready
"I promise to (fill in the blank)."
When you know the person will NEVER! Most commonly used to get you to do something first, then they blow you off.
Mean what you say or don't say it!
LostOverThere
I hate it when someone says "LAGGERS!", they're dumb.

And people who say they'll install Linux - but never do.
eku53ru
A phrase I've grown to dislike is "you can't have everything," even though it's quite truthful, to say at the least. I am a horrible person when it comes to making decisions, and as much as I want to choose something as simple as one side of the coin, my brain's wired so it doesn't like thinking that way. While the counter for it is to be grateful with whatever "something" you may obtain in life, it kinda stinks how much you lose in the long run from sayings like these.
Coledash
All ignorant and aggressive phrases mainly.

I really hate when people think that they are above everyone else
Nameless
mostwanted wrote:
I hate it when people say "no offience" after they make an insult. Its kind of like saying "omg don't kill me for what i just said." i don't know why they make an instult and expect you not to take it personal. Rolling Eyes


There's actually a good reason for that, you know. Insults are more about context than the words themselves. If you were playing video games and your grandmother walked in and was distracting you, you would tell her to (bleep) off. But if your best friend walked in and started distracting you, you would feel free to swear at him. However, if you were feeling pretty down and your best friend asked what was wrong, swearing at him then would be pretty offensive. Hence, it's really about context. Particularly in males, insulting each other in a joking way isn't entirely uncommon, but equally they could say the same things at other times to mean offence. If somebody accusingly called you fat, you might take offence at this. But if, on the other hand, your best friend was concerned you were putting on weight they might bluntly call you fat in an effort to make you confront the problem of your over-eating - but they don't mean offence.

More often than not, it's not the words but the context that makes something offensive - when somebody tells you 'no offence', it's a legitimate way of informing you they don't mean any offence by what they say, rather than saying something just to offend an insult you.
hack_man_
I hate the "Your Mom"-style "insults". With all the spoiled brats, dim toughguys and macho Wannabe-Gangsters in this country, you just need to say "Your Mom" to get the **** beaten out of you. You don't even have to use it in a sentence! It is like their mothers are taboo! "Mom" is a mortal insult...

Saying "Your Mom" in public can get you 6 months jail time because the police is so corrupt here.

*Etisalat will probably block this thread now because it badmouths this county*
dkelite
i hate the word hey in msn, specially when nothing folow that hey.

and the sentence, you are 5 minutes late.

and the story : olivor twist
and the book: matematiktak 10 ( our school book math)
and the author: Helle Helle
aggzzu
hack_man_ wrote:
I hate the "Your Mom"-style "insults". With all the spoiled brats, dim toughguys and macho Wannabe-Gangsters in this country, you just need to say "Your Mom" to get the **** beaten out of you. You don't even have to use it in a sentence! It is like their mothers are taboo! "Mom" is a mortal insult...

Saying "Your Mom" in public can get you 6 months jail time because the police is so corrupt here.

*Etisalat will probably block this thread now because it badmouths this county*


Yes, this really sounds stupid.. But I wouldn't like anyone insulting me start to talka bout my mother.. Surprised
erlendhg
"You're too young"
And when people actually says LOL

Aaarrgghhh... Razz
riv_
"I hate to be a bother"...
because you wouldn't say it unless you WERE being a bother, and you knew it. Or you at last thought you might be bothersome, but obviously felt that your own desires were worth persuing enought that it was OK to bother me. So you really don't mind being a bother. You really njoy it, and your just lying.
clarinda0551
"Are you in?"

When you are making love..if you know what I mean Razz
Just kidding though
hack_man_
aggzzu wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:
I hate the "Your Mom"-style "insults". With all the spoiled brats, dim toughguys and macho Wannabe-Gangsters in this country, you just need to say "Your Mom" to get the **** beaten out of you. You don't even have to use it in a sentence! It is like their mothers are taboo! "Mom" is a mortal insult...

Saying "Your Mom" in public can get you 6 months jail time because the police is so corrupt here. EDIT: ...and dumb.

*Etisalat will probably block this thread now because it badmouths this county*


Yes, this really sounds stupid.. But I wouldn't like anyone insulting me start to talka bout my mother.. Surprised


Yes, but it is kinda stupid and immature. "Mom" isn't an insult, it is a noun.

"Is that a Threat?"
"No! It's an Insulting Observation!"
- Burnt Face Man


Another stupid phrase is "New and Improved!"

How the hell can it be IMPROVED if it is completely new?
Fake
When it happens u will konw


That phrase is lame!
sondosia
This jerk at school who's technically in my group of friends, but whom we all hate, always says things like "go play in traffic" or "I hope you get run over by a truck" or similar variations on that theme to people who annoy him (i.e., everyone). For some reason this annoys me like nothing else.
Kaisonic
Guesstimate. It is not a ****** word.

*pause*

Ah, son of a bitch.

I hate the world.
shwetanshu
"Don't worry", "Take Care"

Your dad

i hate phrases like these
et-configs
dkelite wrote:
i hate the word hey in msn, specially when nothing folow that hey.

and the sentence, you are 5 minutes late.





I definately agree with that statement lol..

Them: Hi
You: wats up?
Them: Just saying hello
You: ok..
seanooi
i never had a phrase that i hate until i was like 16.
I had this freaking annoying chemistry teacher who thinks she knows every damn thing in the book and doesn't accept opinions or corrections from students.
Then one day the whole class was just so fed up with her that we decided to boycott her, so we just ignored her and talked in class. Then she said " i'm sorry to say.....that you're the worst class i've ever taught"

We got so pissed we walked out of class and since then, whenever someone says " i'm sorry to say" i'd just ask them to stop and not continue.
woundedhealer
Whenever I hear the expression 'Dead Body' on TV and can't help replying 'All bodies are dead'. I was taught early on in my creative writing course that it's either a body or a dead person, never a dead body. Shame the script writers didn't learn this basic lesson.

Nothing makes me want to explode more than being told to 'calm down' I'll calm down when I'm good and ready.
staylor229
this is one i hate

me: i'm hungry

Person i'm telling: HI hungry
furtasacra
HoboPelican wrote:
How about "literally" being used when they actually mean "figuratively", the exact opposite?

"I'm literally starving", "I literally shit a brick"

People use it as an indicator of excess or extreme when what it really means (or used to mean) is "actually" or "in fact". Of course, usage is changing it's meaning like most misused words, but it still grinds my gears.


I couldn't agree more. That is one of my pet peeves. When somebody says "I was literally scared to death," or "I literally was walking on air," it annoys me to a grotesque degree. I even heard a reporter on the local news misuse "literally" that way. She was reporting on some financial wrangling between the city and some contractor, and concluded by saying "This deal is literally still up in the air." Grrrrr. I can't BELIEVE that they would legitimize that kind of usage by broadcasting it on the news.

And one other thing: I know this is a mispronounced word, not an overused phrase, but I really HATE it when people say "nukyuler" instead of "nuclear". Or even worse, when they attempt to correct ME when I pronounce it properly.

Someday, that's going to make my head explode. And I mean that FIGURATIVELY. Wink
jsk02a
"Well, the criminal was heading south at a high rate of speed"

C'mon now, anybody knows that RATE and SPEED are the same thing!!!!! Why not just say "He was heading south at a high rate?"

Oh yeah, 'cause that sounds funny. Anyhow, this phrase most often used by cops annoys the bejesus outta me. Smile
Traveller
The phrase I hate most of all is "beyond the scope of this text." I am infuriated by books that appear to be informative, but leave out anything that is actually useful.

The best (or would that be worst) example of this was when, as a teenager, I had written my own hash-code search. At the time, I had no idea the concept even a name, but then I found it was called "hash," so I looked it up in several programming-related books. Of course, the more elementary books said nothing about it, but I was particularly annoyed at one of the most advanced books.

First of all, the word "hash" was not in the table of contents, so I already knew the book didn't have a full chapter devoted to the concept, so I checked the index. "Hash" was mentioned twice. When I went to the first reference, the only mention of "hash" on the page was a vague discussion of inventory control using the example of having a cook keep track of her potatoes so she could know how much hash she'd be able to make. SHEESH! What a waste of time! Why even bother including THAT kind of reference in the index? Then, again, poorly built book indices are a different pet peeve of mine, although this one does help to illustrate the example at hand.

The second index reference to "hash" DID, actually, refer to hash code searches, but all that it said was, "Hash code searching is another important and powerful technique, and all serious programmers should learn it, but the discussion of how to implement it is beyond the scope of this text." That was all! Nothing that even gave any clue what hash codes were, let alone methods for generating them, searching using them, handling "collisions" (where multiple items produce the same hash code), etc. In short, the phrase (as well as the index entry that led to it) was absolutely useless.

Since then, I have seen this phrase MANY times - each equally useless, and each equally frustrating. Mad Brick wall
raine dragon
"I need _______"

when people just want something. It must be said with a highly whiny voice and complete and utter lazyness
woundedhealer
I was reminded of another wrongly used word that annoys me. Using the word 'best' when 'favorite' is meant. Something can be a favourite without being the best.
JBotAlan
"Would you do me a favor"

OK, so how exactly do you respond to this? You have no idea what this 'favor' might be...that's like asking someone to say yes to the question before ever asking it! And you can't just say "maybe" or "possibly" because then you sound like a jerk! Just ask the question!

"I'm over here"

Well, this one explains itself. I ask you where you are; you reply letting me know where you are IN RELATION TO YOURSELF! How is that supposed to help me?

"It's over there"

Almost as vague as "I'm over here", this phrase is entirely useless. Really, when is the last time you have asked someone where something is, they've answered with "It's over there" and you've actually found what you're looking for? Be more descriptive--we humans have named every object around us for a reason!

Your Mom jokes don't faze me anymore--I've heard them from the robotics team so many times and I say them enough that I seem to think they're funny...and I remember how retarded I thought they were at the beginning of freshman year...
hunnyhiteshseth
JBotAlan wrote:
"Would you do me a favor"

OK, so how exactly do you respond to this? You have no idea what this 'favor' might be...that's like asking someone to say yes to the question before ever asking it! And you can't just say "maybe" or "possibly" because then you sound like a jerk! Just ask the question!



Well earlier I hated this phrase but now I have found a crack for it.

When somebody ask you that, just say No jokingly. Obviously person in front of you will experience a minor shock then just say that you are just joking & he should tell you what he wants. Now when he tells you have the option of saying Yes, or saying tactifully no.
djcaution
sounds like a case of the mondays!!
ehecatl
I REALLY hate the phrase "my bad" It's over-used, gets on my nerves, and is teaching little kids REALLY bad grammar...
karysky
I hate hearing:

"Ah come on, you know you'll never succeed."
PatTheGreat42
I absolutely HATE it when people on the phone identify themselves with the phrase "It's me." Well DUH! I understand you can identify them by the sound of their voice, but if you're using that method, why not just start talking and let them figure it out? And if you don't trust the sound of your voice method, why not go with "It's Bob" or "It's Jane" instead of the rather useless and stupid "It's me?"
Seiji
I don't like when my parents say "I'll think about it" When they give me that answer, I just forget that I even asked.
Arnie
"...(something)... the web".
Worst is probably "take back". Second is "igniting". Third "rediscover".

What a bunch of ridiculous nonsense. Phrases that are intended to be catchy but in fact just annoy me. I guess in that respect these phrases are very typical for the people that use them...
eday2010
a.Bird wrote:


As predictable as this probably sounds, I absolutely cannot stand the "That's gay" remark made by individuals who think something does not meet their standard of what is acceptable. There is no way around it, it is a completely biased and obtuse remark. Inanimate objects and metaphysical ideas cannot have a sexual identity, nor if they could would the statement "That's so gay" lack an ounce of hatred towards an entire population of human beings without a shred of justification.


I use "That's gay" all the time. I don't use it to insinuate that an inanimate object is homosexual. I use it as a synonym of "That's lame". "That's gay" just sounds better. Plus the fact that it's not "politically correct" makes it all that more appealing to me.
furtasacra
eday2010 wrote:
a.Bird wrote:


As predictable as this probably sounds, I absolutely cannot stand the "That's gay" remark made by individuals who think something does not meet their standard of what is acceptable. There is no way around it, it is a completely biased and obtuse remark. Inanimate objects and metaphysical ideas cannot have a sexual identity, nor if they could would the statement "That's so gay" lack an ounce of hatred towards an entire population of human beings without a shred of justification.


I use "That's gay" all the time. I don't use it to insinuate that an inanimate object is homosexual. I use it as a synonym of "That's lame". "That's gay" just sounds better. Plus the fact that it's not "politically correct" makes it all that more appealing to me.


I rarely use "gay" (which used to mean cheerful) as a synonym for "lame" (which used to mean physically disabled), but that's because I'm a language purist... sort of, that's a bit of a contradiction in terms for a native English speaker, and English is a bastard mongrel language, especially in America Smile

but anyway, I'm afraid the whole "That's gay" thing irks me a bit, but that's probably because I know a lot of homosexuals who are very educated, funny and a lot smarter than the kind of people who say "That's gay" when what they really mean is "I find that rather boring."

Come on, people, don't you have the energy to enunciate a few more syllables? Or are you just *irony alert* too gay to say what you really mean?

Yes, I'm being inflammatory! This thread, although mildly entertaining, is growing stale and could benefit from a debate, as long as the insults and barbed remarks stay witty and superficial, like the dialog in a Regency novel or an Oscar Wilde play (there's that gay thing again!).

[edit] Oh my, I hope I'm not being too horrid.
[FuN]goku
Um probly any phrase to do with chuck norris.... like
Chuck norris invented water
Chuck norris once sold his urine as an energy drink, we now know this as red bull... anything to do with chuck norris
Azmo
I hate the phrase

"have a good life"

when someone tries to cut the relationship, just feels like they got absolutley nothing to say and just try to hurt you as much as possible..
Jaan
How are ya? How are ya? How are ya? How are ya?

GUESS WHO
Davidgr1200
I have always objected to the phrase "Now, then". when someone uses it I ask them: "Do you mean 'now' or 'then'?"
Traveller
How about when a news broadcast shows the scene of a house fire where nothing but a few smouldering bits of charcoal remain, and they say, "the fire all but destroyed the house"?

According to the meaning of their words, the fire did everything except destroy the house, but the pictures show otherwise. In fact, the fire didn't "all but" destroy the house - it completely destroyed the house!
filet
whatever...most people hate it with that kind of attitude...ok sure when asked to do job but delayed it till last minute urgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keran
Yea i also hate the word "Whatever" at the end of sentences. It makes people think that when you say this word you are somehow above them, that you don't care and you won the argueing. I just think that saying this word is like someone's last line of defense and it shows how stupid they are... I've noticed that this is used mostly by party girls with their IQ level inversely proportional to the size of their breasts...
Grhhh... i hate it
cc1903
I hate it when people say "No durr Sherlock" I mean it's talkin about sherlock holmes I mean we get one thing wrong and the first thing that pops in their head a old detective who lived 50 or more years ago I mean come on they can't come up with better. Mad
spykE
If ppl use a lot the word like, really drives me nuts Smile .
eku53ru
A phrase that grinds on my nerves when it's used in obvious times is "are you okay?" I once was clearly sick enough to have not been okay, and after exhibiting symptoms of such a sickness, I ended up having the question popped up at me. I ended up snapping away at the person because I was, clearly, not well at the time of asking. The sad part about it is that I find myself using it often, as well, in awkward/obvious situations.

I'm also rather peeved by people who excessively use "like" and "you know?" in phrases; I use them myself, but not in such rapid succession that it causes my ears to think the words does not exist. XD
Chelissamow
I hate it when people say 'that's retarded'. I find it offensive for the people actually /are/ mentally retarded.
missdixy
"Cute" endearing names such as "lollipop," "sweet pea," "honey bun."
Yuck.
Also, I hate the word "dude" when it's used like every other word. "Dude, I totally know what you mean dude. You should come over, dude." Puke.
karysky
I HATE when someone tells me: "What's up?"

What the heck do you want me to answer ? Especially if you haven't talked to the person for a long time...

I don't know, be more specific, such as: "What's new in your life?" you know?
Arnie
Yeah, that's a good one. I usually reply "not much" / "nothing" and they just say "nm" or something like that.
ocalhoun
^I usually reply to that with 'the roof' or 'the sky' (whichever applies). It makes them realize how rediculous a phrase that is.
Vrythramax
missdixy wrote:
"Cute" endearing names such as "lollipop," "sweet pea," "honey bun."
Yuck.
Also, I hate the word "dude" when it's used like every other word. "Dude, I totally know what you mean dude. You should come over, dude." Puke.



your too funny Smile I'd love a chnce to speak with you, I bet we would keep each other laughing Laughing
BioRage
"Your Mom" Phrase... >.>
Vrythramax
BioRage wrote:
"Your Mom" Phrase... >.>


oh jeez,,,don't ever talk about my mums...I would go balistic...and I know how.


I make many jokes here in the forums, but mum is off limits.
macxthegamer
i dislike it when ppl say 'y'know' every few words:

'y'know, I think I should go down the hall yknow, and I should be like..yknow'

well, yknow what I mean Wink
hunnyhiteshseth
karysky wrote:
I HATE when someone tells me: "What's up?"

What the heck do you want me to answer ? Especially if you haven't talked to the person for a long time...

I don't know, be more specific, such as: "What's new in your life?" you know?


EXACTLY! I never know what to answer to that.
ehecatl
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I absolutely HATE it when people on the phone identify themselves with the phrase "It's me." Well DUH! I understand you can identify them by the sound of their voice, but if you're using that method, why not just start talking and let them figure it out? And if you don't trust the sound of your voice method, why not go with "It's Bob" or "It's Jane" instead of the rather useless and stupid "It's me?"


Yeah, I have to agree, if you knew who it was that was calling, you wouldn't be asking them to identify themselves... lol
NuniPio
cc1903 wrote:
I hate it when people say "No durr Sherlock" I mean it's talkin about sherlock holmes I mean we get one thing wrong and the first thing that pops in their head a old detective who lived 50 or more years ago I mean come on they can't come up with better. Mad


hahaha I SOOOO hate that phrase, it pissed me off just reading it
Vrythramax
now play nice...and watch your language. Smile
PadraigCurran
I hate when I say I hate something and someone says "You hate everything".

Then the next day, that same person says "I hate <insert something here>".

Bloody hyporcrit.
xxjpxx
The phrase that i really hate is " Normal people do (watever they say)"


lol it makes me feel like an animal or not normal XD
shwetanshu
the phrase like whtaever... showz u r nt iterested in listening to other person's views jst coz they are nt paying attantion to u.... this is really bad

the phrase like "god is with u"... thats jst a way of saying that nobody can do anything about the thing u r psised off about... so better leave trying to change it and live with wat u have
Vrythramax
shwetanshu wrote:
the phrase like whtaever... showz u r nt iterested in listening to other person's views jst coz they are nt paying attantion to u.... this is really bad

the phrase like "god is with u"... thats jst a way of saying that nobody can do anything about the thing u r psised off about... so better leave trying to change it and live with wat u have


Fantastic spelling....ever heard of a "Dictionary"? Rolling Eyes
Arnie
Quote:
you (yōō) pron.
Used to refer to the one or ones being addressed: I'll lend you the book. You shouldn't work so hard. See Regional Notes at you-all, you-uns.
Used to refer to an indefinitely specified person; one: You can't win them all.
Nonstandard Used reflexively as the indirect object of a verb: You might want to get you another pair of shoes. See Note at me.


Or did he mean? ...
Quote:
U, u /yu/ –noun, plural U's or Us, u's or us.
1. the 21st letter of the English alphabet, a vowel.
2. any spoken sound represented by the letter U or u, as in music, rule, curious, put, or jug.
3. something having the shape of a U.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter U or u.
5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter U or u.
guissmo
"...because you touch yourself at night."
This phrase is so overused. And it's so annoying when it keeps popping out from any conversation.
windrei
No. 1 : " You don't understand at all ! "
in argument..... i may really don't understand you or the matters, but please don't use this phrase directly... i get hurt by this always.....

No. 2 : " It's not urgent, just do it as quick as possible. "
whenever the supervisor say this, i just wonder..... that it's urgent or not ? it makes everything to be urgent......

No. 3 : " See, you 2 are so matched. "
eh.... if it's for my girlfriend and me, it's fine... but whoever said this means other girls and me..... so annoyed.....
ehecatl
"you're just jealous." No, I'm not jealous. I'm ENVIOUS, because I don't have that thing to lose. If I'm envious, I want something you have, if I'm jealous, I'm afraid of losing something I ALREADY have.
dream
Keran wrote:
Yea i also hate the word "Whatever" at the end of sentences. It makes people think that when you say this word you are somehow above them, that you don't care and you won the argueing. I just think that saying this word is like someone's last line of defense and it shows how stupid they are... I've noticed that this is used mostly by party girls with their IQ level inversely proportional to the size of their breasts...
Grhhh... i hate it



lolzzzzz

I hate when people say " get a life you loser".

well everyone have life,don't they?
Vrythramax
One that has been bothering me recently is "Why did you deny my hosting request?" Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
^
*laughs*
It is a valid question sometimes though...
Perhaps originally given reasons for denial should be given more thoroughly and packaged with advice on how to improve...
Just a thought.
Vrythramax
@ocalhoun

I do reply with reasons, and even links to the appropriate topics that could lead to better posting...sometimes it just doesn't matter Sad

It seems I am destined to be hated...*sigh*
missdixy
Vrythramax wrote:
One that has been bothering me recently is "Why did you deny my hosting request?" Twisted Evil


Lol aw.
Would hate to be you.....I have little patience hehe
balticJay
i hate when people say i would rather die than say sorry or speak to them again or i would rather loose an arm ...leg etc...etc. yeah and they would really know how that felt to be dead or loose a limb.
bigdan
"That's so hot"....bloody Paris Hilton and her idiotic ilk. Mad

I just want to whack them with a cricket bat. Twisted Evil Laughing
bartdou
So you hate fat people? I think you have some psychological troubles, some times there was some phrases I hate, but other people have right to say, just let it go.
ReubenWilliams
I dislike assumptive phrases such as......... yeah I know what you mean, see I used to feel the same way until I ....

a) Grew up
b) Changed tampons
c) Stopped eating wheat

or whatever other lame arse temporary placebo solution they have used and want to tell you about because it helped them ignore a problem they had that was vaguely similar to something you are currently undergoing. It would be so much more satisfying if they could listen without immediately drawing superficial similarities to their own lives.
Vrythramax
ReubenWilliams wrote:
I dislike assumptive phrases such as......... yeah I know what you mean, see I used to feel the same way until I ....

a) Grew up
b) Changed tampons
c) Stopped eating wheat

or whatever other lame arse temporary placebo solution they have used and want to tell you about because it helped them ignore a problem they had that was vaguely similar to something you are currently undergoing. It would be so much more satisfying if they could listen without immediately drawing superficial similarities to their own lives.



ROFL!!! I'm sorry but that one just tickled the hell out of me Laughing
Jinx
The one that eally bugs me is when someone starts to answer a question with "Honestly?..."

No, I want you to lie to me.

or starts a sentence with "To tell the truth..." because that implies that they've either been lying to you, or are about to lie.
ca222
Hmm, I have a few. Not many I think are phrases but here goes;

•Innet blad - Why do they say that? And they find themselves pretty darn nifty afterwards
•Too be honest, I wont lie to you - and then lie?
•Whatever trever - For one, my name isnt trever. >_>
•Talk to the hand 'cus the face aint listening - I don't really want to talk to your hand, rather talk to a brick wall instead, thanks!
•Am I bovvered? - overused get over it, leave the phrasing to Catherine tate, gaah!!
•Long time no see stranger - even though they have just seen each other about an hour ago?
•Get out my face - I'm not in your face love.
erlendhg
Yes.
"Clean the dishes!"
Lol Razz

...and "Sorry, I'm running a little bit late"
soulman
what I hate:

1. "I know that, I told you I know, let me tell you.....(something wrong)" - who do not know or just know little part of something, but they always protent they know a lot and like to teach.

2. "I hate those poor guys, why they always appear around me? I will not give any of my penny to them." - who proudly but with no compassion at all.

3. "you know, F*ck you, ya son of a b*tch" - who keep say those dirty word and got often angry to you by little problem or even not your fault.
Packfan104L4
"For shizzle"

Especially, and I'm not meaning to be racist at all, when "white" people say it. No, despite your wildest dreams people, you'll never be Snoop Dogg, no matter how many drugs you do Razz
phpSub
Hated.
So, so, much.

(with small kids, the oldest will always say this)

"I'm the boss of everyone cuz' I'm the oldest!"

If I'm there, I just wanna smack them then
tell them, in a mocking voice, the same thing.

Heh!
raine dragon
"I need [insert frivolous want here]".

Especially in things like games, or when people are talking about little things like CDs. You don't need it. you won't die without it.. you just want it. >..<;
guissmo
Though it's not a "phrase", I just get annoyed with the Umbrella song. The Umbrella, ella, ella. I think it's a stupid refrain.
j_f_k
my most hated phrase is the cheesy

'missin' you already'
darrenpaul
I hate people saying "Story bud" its a Dublin saying, but its annoying
Kovsieassassins
I a rock climber and Climbed one of my Univerity builing's walls, So campus security told me to get off I asked why I can't do it, and he replied "Just Imagine if everyone starts climbing walls" (I can't imagine that)

Lecturers always tell you "you can't hand it in late, just imagine if everyone start handing it in late"
Kaisonic
I hate the word "guesstimate". It's not really a phrase, but it works. What I really don't like is that it's actually starting to appear in the dictionary, like it's an actual word. But I guess that's what the evolution of language is all about, now isn't it?

As for actual phrases, I could probably think of a ton, but I usually try to not let myself listen to stupid phrases, so I never remember them.

And I'm a fat kid, so I never use the phrase "I'm starving". I never really say "I'm hungry". Most of the time I just kinda want food.
RubySlasher
I don't like "Oh my God!" a whole lot. Especially when it's said all shrilly.
Ducksteina
I don't like "Go and get the newspaper" or "Get up its 5am...."
ocalhoun
Kaisonic wrote:
I hate the word "guesstimate". It's not really a phrase, but it works. What I really don't like is that it's actually starting to appear in the dictionary, like it's an actual word. But I guess that's what the evolution of language is all about, now isn't it?

That particular word was invented by Lewis Carrol, the same person who wrote Alice in Wonderland.
I suppose enough people liked it for it to become part of normal speech.
Most new words are added in similar ways; Shakespere coined the word 'assassinate'.
Kaisonic
Shakespeare is different though. He practically invented those words (I remember reading in a text book all the words he invented). It's not like we had "ass" and "inate" to mix together to form "assassinate". "Guesstimate" is a children's word - well, really, not even that - it's a children's story word. I would say that the reason people use it now is just laziness, but that doesn't make sense, since "guess" and "estimate" are both shorter words. Really, it's just a ratio of word to definition:

Assassinate - to kill someone (basically)
Guesstimate - to guess or estimate

I don't know, it just doesn't seem like it deserves to be a word, lol.
ocalhoun
^Probably more like taking the word assassin and making it a verb, but the same deal either way.
As for guesstimate, it's just too much fun to use. I see how it could be annoying though.
Coclus
I hate when people say things like "wait!!" when they try to think of something in a conversation with you. Of course you wait! Another thing is the military jargon, like "we had some collateral damage", meaning they killed like dozens of civilians.
Mr_CEO
I hate the way people drive in my city.

Because there's a lot that can be typed regarding bad drivers, I'll give you my top three.

Number 3: Mr. No Turn-Signal

We've all been behind this guy. You're driving along a road at about 45 MPH when without warning, the guy in front of you slams his breaks to make a turn. Once your heart begins to pump blood again, you ask yourself, "What the heck?! There's noone in front of him, why's he... Oh man.. He's making a left turn."

If you're "That Guy." Please, remember that your turn signal should be on 100 feet before your turn. Give the people behind enough time to slowdown and stop.


Number 2: Mrs. High-Way Hazard

Remember this lady? The one who drives ten miles per hour under the speed limit in the passing lane. Yeah, her... She's not a high-way hazard because she drive like Mrs. Daisy. No, she's a Hazard because she thinks that slaming her breaks on the high-way will teach you a thing or two about riding her bumper. Never mind the fact she's going to cause an interstate pile-up with untold fatalities. She thinks she's real clever...

Hey, Dumb-dumb. Next time you feel like someone is too close to your car on the high-way; try using your brain, not your breaks! How about turning on your caution lights for a few seconds. Maybe they'll get the point without the near-death experience.

Number 1: The Dee, De-De!

Ok, The Dee, De-De doesn't really do anything that I hate, but I wanted to through this one out there because it's so funny.

You ever been sitting at a red light when the arrow comes on for the turning lane...
And some Dee, De-De in the car next to you starts driving! OMG, I love it.
Next time you see that happen, look over at the person and say DEE, DE-DE!!!!
LuXTheReaper
my most hated is a "Thats what she said" joke thats either so bad or doesnt make any sense
Bluedoll
I don't want to get angry but . . .

I am not trying to take this out on you, I know your not responsible for this but . . .

Your not one of them but . . .

It's nothing to do with you but . . .

Not complaining but . . .


You can be assured that any phrase - - - - ending with "but" will have the exact opposite meaning.
ankitdatashn
hello, The phrases I hate are:

"Work harder, because if you work harder then you will get success in life": I know that this is not the phrase but it the reality, but I hate it because it is used specially by the people who didn't do hardwork in their youth, So it's kinda appears like a parroted speech rather then used to fill others with confidence.

Another phrases I hate is when some people talk filth out of jealousy with others. These days this thing is growing because today people think that if any person talks rubbish or filthy then is is more powerful or famous or impressive, but I seriously feel that this is wrong.

Also I hate when people say that we should believe in "living for food", I believe just the opposite that is we should believe that food is just to live not that we should be busy in stuffing our stomach every time. Ohh by the way did I mention that I am thin as a pole!! Smile
Afaceinthematrix
"I don't get it."

I hate hearing this phrase! I'll try and tutor people in math and after I'm done explaining something, they'll simply say, "I don't get it." When people say this, it makes me want to get up and leave. I feel like there's nothing I can do to help them. So I'll ask them, "How do you expect me to help you if you don't tell me what you don't understand?" A real question would be something like, "How did you get from that step to that step?" or "I see what you're doing, but why did you do that or why does it work?" With those questions I can help you because I know exactly what it is that you don't understand. But if you just say, "I don't get it" then there's nothing I can do to help you.
Soulfire
I'm not very keen on people calling each other "fags" or saying "that's gay" or "that's queer." It's like, of all the other words in the English language ... honestly.
domestic_cat
My all time hated phrase in the whole world is "it's just business, it's not personal"

I mean seriously!!!! There is not much that is more personal than someone screwing you up the ass to get ahead in their careers and steeling that job you wanted (which would have given you a pay rise, so you could stop living hand to mouth) or verbally abusing you over the phone............ pleeaassee, wake up! Bet it would have been personal if it had happened to them..................
fourx
Soulfire wrote:
I'm not very keen on people calling each other "fags" or saying "that's gay" or "that's queer." It's like, of all the other words in the English language ... honestly.


Indeed...the end result of all the in-your-face Gay activism of the 1970's has been that ""Gay"" now means, in todays terms, something that is dumb, tasteless or defective.

""You know"", repeated every two or three words, has to be one of the most annoying.
And ""Appropriate"", so beloved by the PC generation.
Related topics
How To : Secure Your PHP Website
i hate my name
PHP-NUKE - How to add own pages and add to menu?
Poverty in the USA
Rate My Drawing Style
The Middle East Conflict
The Liberal Media
Funny arguments for God
Harry Potter 5 (own written version)
Internal Server Error when posting in phpbb3
VBulletin in two domains
Making Friends Online
Are Taxes Voluntary?
Can the church make up its mind?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.