FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Original purpose of religions.

Genius
I am from a non-english speaking country, so forgive me if my english is terrible.

!I am sick of people quarreling, fighting, dying, etc in the names of their religions! ESP in this forum! not the dying part Razz

To fanatics/people who convert/follows religions blindly:

1.Ancient times:
-People are curious about nature; tend to be drawn towards the unexplained. Anything which cannot be explained is their "god/goddess".

2. Ancient civilization:
-Genius created AND involved religion in governing system. People tend to obey religious kings etc. Religioun+law systems are manipulated.
Eg.
Hinduism: NO known creator, but it helps to organise the society and government; regulates the society.

Taoism: LaoZi perhaps; since he came out with TaoTeChing; organises society and government.

3. Middle Ages
-Geniuses during their times when the surrounding is harsh, chaotic and everybody is ignorant; therefore to have peace and order, created religion?

Christianity: Jesus Christ; middle east was a chaotic place then; religion intended to restore peace and order.

Islam: Prophet Muhammad; middle east was a chaotic place then; religion intended to restore peace and order.

Buddhism: Buddha Shakyamuni; india was a chaotic place then; religion intended to restore peace and order.

Probably some people might have figured out but nonetheless, i am trying to say:

There are NO sole super power (or divine beings) that creates and regulates the world. Give me evidences to proof me wrong. Why are these "beings" created? To instill fear and obedience among people during those times.

Religions are CREATED by HUMAN based on the circumstances of their times; and their teachings are not to be interpreted literally (eg. Miracles)
Result of direct interpretations: war (Jihad); discrimination (discovery that disputes the Bible ie. evolution); hideous murders, crimes, etc (by the Inquisitions, Conquistadores, religious terrorists etc)

However, common people lacks the "enlightenment" (or being more direct: not-so-smart) and does not realise the real meaning of religions, hence one might think after reading this, "Religions are devised by people, those divine beings are simply non-existence etc; hence i can do anything i want and go unpunishable!" Then let me tell you the essence of religions, the golden rule. If everyone acknowledges this rule and abides it, then there will be no religious difference-caused-conflicts and the ultimate purpose of religion is served.

To sum up:
Any religion is fine. Just bear in mind that the origins of religion is not simply because of we must worship those "divine beings". But to appreciate geniuses during their times, through the creation and manipulation of religion ensures order and harmony of their society. Religions are there to solidify ones principle of life. Not to control ones life.

So what do you think?

And by the way, i'm a buddhist; not a free thinker.
Azmo
to me, a religion are rules of living. basic of every religion are the same.. do not kill/steal etc.. but also that religion takes away some of the free mind.. cause many religions tells you that there is always someone better then you that you should obey.. cant blaim people who no longer belive in anything...
The Conspirator
Azmo wrote:
to me, a religion are rules of living. basic of every religion are the same.. do not kill/steal etc.. but also that religion takes away some of the free mind.. cause many religions tells you that there is always someone better then you that you should obey.. cant blaim people who no longer belive in anything...

Rules and religion are different things. I have rules which I live by but I don't have a religion, religion is a set of or a spiritual belief, thats not the same as rules.

The original purpose of religion is explanations of the unexplained.
Liambaby
IMO religion was created to justify man's existence on Earth. Maybe in ancient times, it was easier to accept the notion of a great, benevolent creator, rather than to ponder evolution, without the scientific breakthroughs of more recent times. I definately believe that religion is an outdated idea, but do not believe that, in it's time, was any less valid than any other purpose for life on earth forwarded at the time. Who knows, maybe man needs religion still, to escape what is more and more revealed to be a cold, chaotic and apathetic universe?
Soulfire
See, I am a person quickly falling away from religion and turning more towards God. Religion is a man-made establishment here on earth, and if we are using the logic that man is flawed, then religion is flawed as well. All the Churches that I know of incorporate man-made rules, traditions, laws, and beliefs into the church and pass them off as an absolute truth (that is, something immediately from the Bible, etc.) when it's not.

So therefore I am turning to God - whoever that God may be, I want a relationship with him/her/it because I want that God (omniscient being) to know that I am grateful for my existence on earth.

My belief is in a changing God.

The problem I have with religion (and we'll be using Christianity and homosexuality in this example) is that Christianity originated around 2000 years ago. At this time the world's population was quite stable, low, and the earth was able to support the population quite easily. The men who wrote the Bible condemned homosexual acts (but not relations) in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

Because God is an ever-changing God who changes with His earth, He has noticed that the population of the earth has risen to astounding and dangerously high levels.

The world's growth rate is estimated at 1.14% So, assuming that growth be continuous, and the population is around 7 billion, we can use the formula 7.000.000.000*e^(.0114*(2050-2006)) to estimate the world's population in 2050.

In 2050, the world's population will be 11.5 billion+

God, recognizing this alarming growth rate, adds more homosexuality to the population to help control the population, so not everyone is breeding.

Because the Bible is static and does not change with God, most of the west views homosexuality as wrong (Christian or not, because most of the Western World's values are in Christianity whether you are religious or not).

That's just one example of a possible problem I have with most modern religion.
mike1reynolds
Amen to that brother Soulfire! Very Happy
HereticMonkey
Soulfire wrote:

Because the Bible is static and does not change with God, most of the west views homosexuality as wrong (Christian or not, because most of the Western World's values are in Christianity whether you are religious or not).

The Bible may static in that it itself doesn't change, but the interpretation of it does, thus simulating change. It is called the "Living Word of God", after all...

HM
Genius
Homosexuality is around us since the ancient times, it is not as if there is a "boom" recently due to overpopulation.

Early recordings on homosexuals dates back to BC. ie. before "God" is worshipped. Eg. Alexander the Great? And during ancient China, males are "nurtured" into homosexuals to escape from military services and conscriptions.

Homosexuals were originally accepted in the Greek society during ancient times, so does Early Christianity. However, later they were labelled as "sinful".

During the the iindustrial age, psychologists see Homos as "psychologically ill" and have mental illness.

More recently, homosexuals are regarded as "diversity". Radical thinkers take homosexuals as an "evolution".

Homosexuals are not a recent "boom" due to overpopulation of the world 21st century. We cannot say that during the earlier times homosexuals are lesser; they were shun from the society hence making the statistic less accurate.

Anyway, it's undeniable we see homosexuals are quite "common" in our society recently. However, one has to bear in mind that it was due to numerous efforts of some groups (can't name) recent years which opens up the mind of the society allowing more homosexuals to openly declare their sexual preferences.

To control human population? More effective ways would be government intervention such as 1 child per family policies in many asia countries eg. China and India. Viruses, bacts and epidemics has done quite some jobs on reducing the population.
HereticMonkey
You know, I'm not really sure where to start on this. I mean, it's just that...ridiculous (and, yes, I debated several other words, but I went with the polite one...).

Genius wrote:
Homosexuality is around us since the ancient times, it is not as if there is a "boom" recently due to overpopulation.

Behavioral scientists would disagree with you. In 1984, an experiment with forced population increase in rats demonstrated that increased population tended to lead to the rats becoming more violent, mothers eating their babies, and increased homosexual behavior.

Also, based on a number of readings from homosexuals, it feels as if there is some confusion what exactly being homosexual means. There's too many cases of "I knew I was gay when I was three"; also, where there to be used an "experimental" phase, the homosexual cause seems to ignore that in favor of figuring that once you have gay sex, you are gay forever.

Based on that experiment and my readings, I feel reasonably safe in saying that the number is booming, and that the number may have been over-reported.

Quote:
Early recordings on homosexuals dates back to BC. ie. before "God" is worshipped. Eg. Alexander the Great? And during ancient China, males are "nurtured" into homosexuals to escape from military services and conscriptions.

So? All you've done is show that gays have been around a lot.

Quote:
Homosexuals were originally accepted in the Greek society during ancient times, so does Early Christianity. However, later they were labelled as "sinful".

This is a yes and no situation. Greeks didn't see themselves in quite the same light as gays do today; that is, there were layers of love, and the Greeks made definite distinctions between them. In essence, even the Spartans would probably think that modern homosexuals don't have a clue, as they are concentrating on a male-male relationship as being the serious one, rather than the male-female being the serious one.

In essence: I'm guessing you haven't really done any research on the Greeks past what's convenient for you...

Quote:
During the the iindustrial age, psychologists see Homos as "psychologically ill" and have mental illness.

Actually, that was well before the industrial age; they just lacked the words until modern psychology entered the pictures. And look at it from THEIR perspective: Having a big family was a good thing, and seen as needed for survival, especially given the infant mortality rate. Gays didn't have kids. As they were bucking something needed for survival of the species, it's not that hard to connect the dots and see why homosexuality was seen as a mental disease...

Quote:
More recently, homosexuals are regarded as "diversity". Radical thinkers take homosexuals as an "evolution".

Radical thinkers are silly; evolving into a dead end is usually considered a "bad thing".

Quote:
Homosexuals are not a recent "boom" due to overpopulation of the world 21st century. We cannot say that during the earlier times homosexuals are lesser; they were shun from the society hence making the statistic less accurate.

Yet....you said that they were fully accepted during the earlier times. Am I only one confused here?

Quote:
Anyway, it's undeniable we see homosexuals are quite "common" in our society recently. However, one has to bear in mind that it was due to numerous efforts of some groups (can't name) recent years which opens up the mind of the society allowing more homosexuals to openly declare their sexual preferences.

Actually, I could argue that being open about your homosexuality has always been semi-acceptable, as gay men have been said to possess certain skills that other men lack, as long as said homosexuality was kept at an arm's length. It comes down to which side of the locker room debate you fall on: Should teen-age boys be seen naked by a gay gym teacher?

Yes: Nudity isn't some great bugaboo and there should be no reason to feel shy about being naked in front of another man, regardless of that man's sexuality.

No: It's the moral equivalent of letting a straight man seeing a nude teen-age girl.

[Personally, I'm a big fan that there's a maybe state (as long as the gym teacher doesn't stress his sexuality, and has a healthy sex life outside of work, I don't see an issue).]

Quote:
To control human population? More effective ways would be government intervention such as 1 child per family policies in many asia countries eg. China and India. Viruses, bacts and epidemics has done quite some jobs on reducing the population.

Actually, it's worth noting that the more modern a society is, the lower the birth rate. America, Japan, and a number of European countries, for example, have an almost negative birthrate, and depend on immigration for population increase.

If it helps...
HM
Genius
Thanks for getting into details for me.

Actually, all i did was stating the fact/history (although quite partially strayed) about gays and why they were being discrimanated. You don't have to argue about them since they are irrelevant in this thread. I was just pointing out that gays were not a recent phenomenon by "divine beings" to control the overpopulated world.

HereticMonkey wrote:
Quote:
Yet....you said that they were fully accepted during the earlier times. Am I only one confused here?

Rephrase: Once gays were accepted...however in time, due to the reasons aforementioned they were shun away from the society making the stat less accurate.

Sorry for my confusing and incomplete sentence. Told you my english is terrible!

And let me remind anyone posting in the future that this thread is not about gays, get on with the meaning of religion!!
Soulfire
I'm not saying that homosexuals were non-existent. But it only makes sense that with a population boom, there would also be a homosexual boom. (More people, more possible homosexuals is my logic).

But anyways, we're straying from the point a bit.
stone1343
Religions are invented by humans to:
- help understand how the earth came to be such a perfect place for us to live. Many today still have a hard time accepting that the universe could have just happened, and it must have had a creator.
- provide a framework of morality for you to live by. If you live a good life, you'll go to heaven, otherwise you'll go to hell.
- provide a sense of afterlife which agrees with our self-centred view of the world (I don't mean self-centred in a negative way, just that we can't imagine the world without us being in it)
- provide a sense of community, tradition, ritual and inspiration.
Yantaal
religion= a way to get the kids to go to sleep
moworks2
Hi Genius...i think way back when apes becoming people, adam and eve?, were just scared of hurricanes, the big sun, the moon, and were looking for cause...and the power amazed them so they kind of respected nature,...but it was the human brain, that sick little motor of images we have that helped organize belief and use it for control/power and profit...

These days it just seems so evident that we made up god it's hard to believe that anyone believes and follows but they do. It's a nice way not to take responsibility for ones actions. You know, kill people, say your sorry, go to heaven.

There's lot of very nice people who belong to one religious group or another. I think they'd be the same if they were religious or not. Maybe the brainwashing helps to calm their spirit down, spirit here meaning their energy, nothing ghostly Wink

I think mother theresa would have lived the same type of life of giving if christianity had not existed.

Today, man, religion is used to manipulate the masses like george bush has done. What a shameful man. It is used as an excuse for violence by all religions. It's really a shame. The human brain is capable of so much but it is put to sleep by this crap. Deadened and left to wonder what is going on while the fairy tale for thought continues to rotate in the brain...be good and your reward will be heaven. Be bad and you'll end up in hell. Oooooh, scarey.

M
Soulfire
Religion is the opiate of the masses

As much as I would like to believe that there is some holy, saintly purpose of religion ... I would be very mistaken to believe that. Religion, as an institution, was based on truth and wildly altered it to control people. It's all about power and influence, as it usually is...