FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

McAfee. Do I really need it?

ncwdavid
Hey, I got a computer about four months ago and with the computer I got a year and a half of free McAfee firewall, virus scan and all that stuff. I have a Broadband wireless box and it has a firewall built in to it and I have the windows xp firewall stuff too. What i need to know is do I really need McAfee? I have heard people saying stuff like you dont need it if the Broadband box already has a firewall but if I got rid of McAfee would I start getting loads of viruses and hackers trying to break in? I am not too sure whether or not to get rid of it because a few times it has found trojans when I open files and it got rid of them but if I did get rid of it it would speed up the computer a bit maybe? What do ye all think?
Zyphrius
Personally I am not a fan of McAfee, it does not work very well.

Having the McAfee firewall and the router firewall may cause them to have conflicts together, Software and hardware firewalls do not mix that well usually.

I would recommend getting rid of McAfee, download the free version of AVG anti-virus software and the anti-spyware they have.

I also run Ad-Aware SE and Nod32 on my system, which seems a little paranoid sure, but it protects my system well and they do not conflict with one another. I would recommend using these.

For your firewall use the one that come with your router and have the Windows firewall active. The windows firewall does pretty much nothing, but without a software firewall this is a good option to have active. Those two firewalls should keep you safe and the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs I recommend should help you get rid of anything that may find it's way in on your system.

Good luck!!
Animal
ncwdavid wrote:
I have a Broadband wireless box and it has a firewall built in to it and I have the windows xp firewall stuff too. What i need to know is do I really need McAfee?

I have to say that I think it's a bad idea simply relying on a hardware firewall and/or Windows Firewall alone. The hardware firewall restricts incoming access, but does not control outgoing programs. The Windows firewall is really a bare-minimum - I would highly recommend using another (free) software firewall as they generally perform better and give you more information about what's going on. This also helps you discover and/or block spyware programs from spying on you - if they can't access the web, your secrets are (generally) safe.

In terms of the Anti-Virus, it's pretty much essential that you use one. Almost all AV programs will scan email - this is where it's most likely infection will come from. However, AV programs tend to have "auto-protect" functionality that will prevent a program from running if it is suspected to be malicious. This can save your PC from a devastating virus attack that could theoretically be caused simply by you visiting a malicious website.

Whether you use McAfee or not is up to you, but IMO a firewall and Anti Virus program is essential whether you have a hardware firewall or not. The individual programs are discussed in this thread and this should help you make a decision as to what programs specifically to use as an alternative to McAfee if you like.
bulek
I don't recommend you to use McAfee. Not because you don't need it, there are many better antivirus programs that McAfee. I recommend you to use NOD32 antivirus system and Outpost Firewall Pro. Antivirus is necessary on every Windows computer while firewall controls inbound and outbound packages. In your case, firewall will control only outbound packages (data you sent from your computer). Windows firewall is not so good as other firewall programs and it may be useless if you have hardware firewall.
stuck
Nope. you dont need it.. At least firewall no.

Because:

internet -> router -> PC
PC -> router -> internet

if someone tries to attack your PC, the receptor of the attack will be the router
darvit
McAfee was the program that detected the trojan from HijackThis--I have AVG and Avast! installed and those two programs weren't able to pick it up. I used to have almost zero respect for McAfee, but after that incident, I decided that I would keep it after all. Cool
ncwdavid
Ok thanks for all yere replies and I'm still thinking about it. Im not sure it it even really takes up too much of my computers speed and I am getting 1GB ram in about two weeks. I was looking at free firewalls and what do ye all think of this one: Comodo Firewall. It looks and sounds pretty good. Anybody got any experience with it?
Macko112
A slight slowdown as a result of a AV program is noticeable with low RAM. Sure having no AV may speed up your computer a little bit, however you also become vulnerable to virus, spyware, etc. I think it's vital to have an AV program of some sort. Everyone will have mixed opinions of which ones are best. Search google for the top AV programs (I believe there is a top 10 of 2006 list somewhere on the internet). AVG is what I use and it seems to work well. Just because your using a big name AV like Norton or McAfee doesn't mean better protection.

I've never heard of Comodo and don't know how efficient it is. I would still recommend searching for the list of top AVs and choosing one you like from there.
Donutey
From a personal standpoint (which isn't reflective of the overall user base) I hate McAfee. It worked well for several years (installed new versions and updates, it came with an Internet service package) but I eventually traced it as causing explorer.exe not to load on startup...
ncwdavid
Donutey wrote:
From a personal standpoint (which isn't reflective of the overall user base) I hate McAfee. It worked well for several years (installed new versions and updates, it came with an Internet service package) but I eventually traced it as causing explorer.exe not to load on startup...

My computer has been running perfectly anyway since I got which was from the very start but I just think now its time to get rid of it becasue it seems to be a heavier application then some other firewalls out there and I want to get the the fastest speed from my computer as possible and with McAfee I dont think its possible. I am really bad at computers but I have heard its a pretty heavy application to have running while you do everything like Norton programs too.
asianwannabe999
mcafee takes up too much ram for most users. I'd use NOD32 for a minimal system or Kaspersky for a more complete yet slim system.
rheanna
You don't need a virus program if you use Sand Boxie

Use that, it doesn't go on your hard drive...

If you like the program you have to manually put it there because once you delete the box that sand boxie puts there for you then everything including viruses get deleted.

http://www.sandboxie.com

A very useful tool for all that annoying chit. ;o)
TheGeek
I always get rid of that pre-loaded anti-virus garbage first thing when I get a new computer or am set to the task of "fixing" someone else's computer. I personally use a combination of things. First off yes, a hardware firewall and software firewall can cause issues, but I have only found that to be true in McAfee's "firewall" program. Secondly, for my computer I use a combination of Eset's NOD32 anti-virus program and Agnitum's Outpost Firewall running all the time in the background to keep me protected from a lot of stuff that comes at the computer from just surfing the net and other passive things. Then, to protect me from things that get through the initial defense wall I have Lavasoft's AdAware spyware removal program, Spybot S&D spyware removal program and RootKitRevealer root kit detection program. This has kept me virus free for about a year now and it seems to still be doing well. Usually I can get away with only running the spyware scans once every few months and only pull up a few minimally threatening things that outpost did not catch and then the rootkitrevealer is really only necessary if you suspect you have been infected by a rootkit.
rheanna
NOD32 is Pain in the arse. I already tried it....Listen to whom ever you want but Nod 32 is annoying, Outpost is annoying, Spybot is okay, Lava forget it, Never tried Root..

Sandboxie will prevent any virus on your hard drive. Simple as that and that's why I use it. You close the window, it's all gone. Works with your IE explorer or Browser. Just find the root to your browser.

Just an FYI but it will prevent the viruses from even getting on your hard drive.

*click on Sandboxie to open your browser and whatever your doing and it stays there..

open it in IE it goes on your hardrive...
dule
IMHO

I don't have any need for an antivirus. Smart surfing is the best antivirus u can get. Do not click yes yes i want that software yes like a maniac and u wont get any malicious software :p

I make a check every year or so, ofcourse no viruses are found.

As for the firewall, WinXP SP2 firewall is enough for all my needs.
For spyware use AdAware SE...

my 2 cents Wink
infobankr
I have never paid for anti virus, though I rarely use windows. I have used Ad-Aware, as well as ClamAV, which you might want to check out. They have a windows version:

http://www.clamwin.com/

ClamWin is what it is called. I've only used it a little bit, but it seemed to do the job just fine.
bukaida
Best free antivirus--Avast
Best trial antivirus--NOD32
Best Antihacker-Kaspersky
Best Spyware removal tool-Spy sweeper
Best firewall-Zone alarm.
starfish2007
a even better anty virus program if your ok with spending a lil cash is microsofts Windows Live OneCare it costs only 50 dallers a year afree trial is also avalable and i bin using this for thelast 3 months and its relly good it intergrats reallywellwith windows and gives you accss to fier wal anty virus anty spyware and even back up all from one program
Simulator
bukaida wrote:
Best free antivirus--Avast
Best trial antivirus--NOD32
Best Antihacker-Kaspersky
Best Spyware removal tool-Spy sweeper
Best firewall-Zone alarm.

Best thing ever posted on this forum, everything is bang on.
Though the Best Free antivirus could also go to AVG, its down to personal opinion, NOD32 works way to well to run on windows, its the worlds greatest Antivirus software though it costs a hell of a lot. I have it in work and my god is it amazing... I know.. I'm a freak for saying all this but it really is amazing, you have to get it to experience it, its amazing......
Animal
There is already an Official Thread where you should discuss your favourite security software (Anti Virus, Firewall, Anti Spyware etc) - the original question was whether or not this user needed to use security software in the first place. Please try to keep on-topic guys Wink