FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

tutoring

repeticije
I am offering help in math or hydromechanics . My english is not liquid yet but I am hopeing .... in the future . Math it is , so ask ...
mikethm
repeticije wrote:
I am offering help in math or hydromechanics . My english is not liquid yet but I am hopeing .... in the future . Math it is , so ask ...

But if your english isn't good... how do you expect to be productive in teaching mathematics in english?

Teaching is a process heavily dependent on successful communication.
loryl
You'd be surprised at the number of people in the education industry (especially the higher levels) who do not have a solid (native level) grasp of English...

In non-primary education (where your students are already done learning the rudiments of the English language), it's probably better to be proficient in the skill you're trying to teach than in the language you're trying to teach in. Also, math is a universal language nowadays.
mikethm
loryl wrote:
You'd be surprised at the number of people in the education industry (especially the higher levels) who do not have a solid (native level) grasp of English...

In non-primary education (where your students are already done learning the rudiments of the English language), it's probably better to be proficient in the skill you're trying to teach than in the language you're trying to teach in. Also, math is a universal language nowadays.

I respectfully disagree. I teach maths for a living as a tutor and there are a lot of moment that I find that the student's problem is not with the concepts but with the language. I do agree that maths is a language... and that is precisely why a good command of english( assuming that you are doing your teaching in english). Answering maths questions is often a matter of translating english( the question given in english form) into mathematics( equation form). Besides when imparting concepts, you sometimes need to give simple examples( as simple as possible) to underline the reasons as to why is it so. And this process involve english. Your choice of the correct phrases to use often decide whether the student understand what you are trying to say or not.
Macko112
Quote:

I think you mean my English in not fluid yet.