FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Port-a-caths

wumingsden
I've been speaking to my consultants about having a port-a-cath inserted for a while and it seems like it may go ahead fairly soon.

Does anybody else have a port-a-cath inserted? If so, what is it like? Does the removal of the nerves really make the insertion of the needles painless?

I want to try and find out as much info as possible before I do (finally) make up my mind. The only downside I see at the moment are a) The port will be pretty visable, especially seen as I'm underweight and b) The port has to be flushed once a month (but seen as I'm usually in hospital for IV's shorter than this it doesn't really matter).

The reason for the possible operation is my veins are getting very poor. Most are collapsed, and although PICC (long) lines are supposed to last between 2wks - month mine don't. Yesterday my longline burst, it was in for 3 days and I had problems on the second IV (12hrs after insertion). My arm developed tracking of the line, it become sore and swollen too. They think that the line may have looped and threaded back down my vein because my arm swelled underneath the insertion. I now have in a canular but it's having difficulty flushing/having IV's. It seems to have developed track marking and is rather sore (red arrow).

As you can tell, I have a pink canular in (I know, how fabulous). I however did NOT request it because of it's colour. Pink is the biggest size, and the SHO chose that hoping that it would last a little longer.

The IV's should last about 20-30 mintues, but they are lasting up to 3 hours now because they have to be on such a slow speed. I was originally given 10 days worth of IV's, but they told me not to be surprised if I'm here up to a couple of months. Because of this, i requested a port-a-cath, and will speak to someone about it on tuesday. I just wanted to know a little more about them.