FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should younger teenagers be able to drive drunk people home?

Blaster
Here is the scerinero. Your at a family party. There are some teenagers there around 15 years of age. Everyone else is drunk and really shouldn't drive. Do you think that the 15 year old child should be able to take the drunk people home?

In my opioion i say yes. If the person is around 14 15 or 16 the kid should be able to tak these people home. That way there shouldn't be any acidents. I say that a kid driver at that age is a better driver then a drunk one at any age.
Liu
Family party will usually have parents, wouldn't it be the parent's responsibility to drive them home then?

Further, the parent's may be at fault to even let the children drink underage, let alone drive home.

(Saying you live in the US)
TruPain
No...

First off, the adults that are of legal age to drink should also have the responsibility to drink responsibly. Getting drunk is not responsible. If you are at a family gathering or whatever the social event is, you need to keep in mind that you have responsibilties of your own. If you get drunk, you should use better judgement and know not to drive. Call a taxi or have one of the sober persons (not all adults drink) that are legal to drive drive you home.
If you are too drunk to drive, how can you justify using "better" judgement in letting someone that "society" feels is still too young to have the responsibility of driving, drive home? This is also breaking the law.

And if I remember correctly, one state in the US had a case where the drunk adult let thier child drive home, and they were still charged with a Drunk Driving charge because the shild did not have a drivers license, and therefore, the responsibility of the driving came on the adult that was in the car.

Secondly, eventhough I feel that it is a better alternative than driving drunk, but there is usually always a legal alternative means to get home. And besides that, what kind of role model is the adult being for the child reguardless of the social event...
HoboPelican
Sorry, I agree with the masses. Some 15 year olds have never even driven a car yet. Unless a drivers license has been issued, there is no indication that the driver is safe to drive, drunk or not. The right thing to do is to a) get a licensed family member to drive b) call a taxi or c) spend the night.

TruPain wrote:

First off, the adults that are of legal age to drink should also have the responsibility to drink responsibly. Getting drunk is not responsible....

This might be a bit harsh. In my mind, it is possible for a responsible person to get wasted. They just make sure that they won't be driving (stay over, designated driver, give keys to host, etc).
Davidgr1200
That's a bit like saying would you prefer to jump of a cliff that's 50 feet high or 45 feet high? Better to take the slower path down to the bottom and survive.
Scorpio
The young teens can be given another responsibility.
Knocking out the adults if they attempt to drive after drinking, or hiding the keys of the car or something like that.

Letting them drive is not good. Plus, whats the harm in staying over. Also, if somebody is in a hurry to go home they probably wont be drinking and even if they do the best thing is not to drive
Srs2388
Yes, and no... it would depend, if he/she has been driving before and knows how to drive... then sure it would be better than letting someone drive drunk and then people end up dead.
Or just simply if you think you'll need someone to drive make sure that someone over the age of 16 doesn't drink and let them drive.... always be sure to have a designated driver.
exarkun
It is as dangerous, I mean, for either case.

By the way, how is it possible that the adults are drunk and the kids are still sober?
ehecatl
I don't think it's right that the kids that young should be driving at all as they don't have licenses, but if they know how to drive and well enough to avoid an accident I think it's better that they drive than the drunk person. Then again, if there was no one to drive me home that's of age, I probably wouldn't be getting drunk in the first place, but that's just me...
Captain Fertile
It is just as illegal for an underage person to drive as it is an intoxicated legal age driver.

It will make no difference to the victim whether they are hit by a drunk adult or a sober teen.

While I fully appreciate some 15 year olds are mature enough to drive many are not and the law has to draw a line some place. ANYONE can have an accident whether sober, drunk, with a licence or without it is all about cutting down the risks.

In such cases I always look at the worse case scenario - my 15 year old son hits someone. So we are all injured (or dead) the victim is injured (or dead) and my son lives on to face the consequences for the rest of his life, all because I was selfish enough to drink when I knew I shouldn't - I for one would never put my children (or innocent third parties) in harms way like this.

In the scenario above there is only one solution - everyone gets a cab home and the adult comes back to pick up the car when they are sober. If that is too much of a hardship then the adult should have left the car at home in the first place or not had a drink at all - that is the price of being an adult, its called responsibility and it should not be placed on the shoulders of your kids when you don't abide by it.

Just my opinion.
Blaster
I see where you guys are coming from i guess. Me i'm coming up on 15 soon and i'm alright at driving a car. I know most of the laws and all too. So i think if my parents are drunk i should be able to take them home. I;m mainly talking about close place like only right around teh corner and all. Thanks for your opions guys. Keep em coming.
HoboPelican
Blaster wrote:
I see where you guys are coming from i guess. Me i'm coming up on 15 soon and i'm alright at driving a car. I know most of the laws and all too. So i think if my parents are drunk i should be able to take them home. I;m mainly talking about close place like only right around teh corner and all. Thanks for your opions guys. Keep em coming.

Well, I will admit that when I was 15, I felt the same as you! I was always thinking up some reason to let me drive the car. As far as I got was doughnuts in a snowy parking lot or moving cars in the driveway. Smile Hang in there, Blaster. You will be behind the wheel and terrorizing us old farts in no time!
Bondings
Blaster wrote:
I;m mainly talking about close place like only right around teh corner and all.

In that case I would suggest walking home. Wink
pll
I'm a 15 years old teenager and don't want to drive my parents drunk!
I would prefer to hide their keys, or any other way than drive by myself !
snowboardalliance
HoboPelican wrote:
Sorry, I agree with the masses. Some 15 year olds have never even driven a car yet. Unless a drivers license has been issued, there is no indication that the driver is safe to drive, drunk or not.

Exactly. If someone is 15 they should have a permit anyway and if so then it is legal in the first place. Still have to agree that it is the adults' responsibility.
rheanna
If it saves a life then "yes"

Been in 3 accidents from DUI drivers and thankfully I'm alive. I'm not innocent myself but now I drink at home and I'm glad I've never hurt anyone. When my x got his DUIs, I woke up.
Blaster
Bondings wrote:
Blaster wrote:
I;m mainly talking about close place like only right around teh corner and all.

In that case I would suggest walking home. Wink

See my sisters one friends parents are friends with my parents and they where at a party. I was smart rode my bike there and then rode it home so that i was safe. But i'm worried about my parents also.

Rheanna i'm glad your not driving drunk. I've seen too mainy accidents because of this stupidity. And like i have said before my friend is a firefighter and he finds a lot of his Accidents w/ Injuries to be caused because of drunk driving. Thats what made me think of this topic.
rheanna
last dui guy is costing me 1075 in damages because he left the scene and "no one got his plate" totaled the whole front end and plowed right thru me. Monte 2005 vs an F-350 lol grr and insurance won't cover nothing. "Why the heck do I have to pay, I wasn't drunk" lol

My other car got total the day I had it re-painted and Allstate wouldn't even cover it (full coverage) and the guy got away and didn't pay a dime and I had to get a new car. Had a concusion out of this one and a lumbar stress pain on the back from the whiplash-didn't have my seatbelt on. Embarassed

I can't remember the other accident.
iNs@nE
In my opinion, he should be let to drive them home..

It's better to live than to die and I am pretty sure that they have more chances of reaching safe with that kid driving than they themselves doin it..

given that the kid has enough experience in driving...
SpellcasterDX
Well, no. Sure, it's a good option, but with teens now-a-days on the phone and texting and stuff, they wouldn't exactly be the best option.

They might be a road hazard to themselves and to every other car around them - whether sober or drunk. Even if they are a responsible teen who could actually do the job, a police office could still pull you over and then everyone would be in trouble. But mostly the drunk adult.

Plus, I've heard that if you get drunk, there are these companies/services that exist. I heard you can call a toll free number to get a ride home. (At least I think it's a toll free number.)
Note: This might only be in my city/state/country. I'm not sure.

Or another alternative, as someone above mentioned, is to spend the night. If it's a family gathering/social/party this is definitely an option. Of course if it's friends, well, if they're not so trustworthy, I'd rather go with the above option I stated.

Or if the event is close by, you could probably get a sober person to walk you home safely.

But whatever the case, don't drink and drive.
Blaster
I can see your point speelcaster. Some teens arn't responsable enough. But here is another question. Say your a cop. I'm 15 and driving my drunk parents home on some side streets not doing over 35 mph. I'm stoping at all the stop signs and all but then you catch me for something as small as a tail light being out. You pull me over and you see that i'm under the age and my parents are way to drunk to drive home. What would you do as the cop. Would you let me go off or would you bring me in?
Liu
Blaster wrote:
I can see your point speelcaster. Some teens arn't responsable enough. But here is another question. Say your a cop. I'm 15 and driving my drunk parents home on some side streets not doing over 35 mph. I'm stoping at all the stop signs and all but then you catch me for something as small as a tail light being out. You pull me over and you see that i'm under the age and my parents are way to drunk to drive home. What would you do as the cop. Would you let me go off or would you bring me in?

I would arrest your parents, and put you in a foster home in the mean time.
SpellcasterDX
Blaster wrote:

It'd depend on the situation. If your parents were just plain gone and completely drunk, well, I'd let you off with a warning (Direct to your parents, mostly) to not get drunk and drink responsibly.
But of course, that'd just be me. There will definitely be other cops who wouldn't be as nice and understanding as me and would give you a ticket or arrest your parents.
TruPain
HoboPelican wrote:
TruPain wrote:

First off, the adults that are of legal age to drink should also have the responsibility to drink responsibly. Getting drunk is not responsible....

This might be a bit harsh. In my mind, it is possible for a responsible person to get wasted. They just make sure that they won't be driving (stay over, designated driver, give keys to host, etc).

That is my point though... the question was should younger teenagers be able to drive drunk people home.

If you are an adult and need to get home, you need to drink responsibly, have an already arranged ride home, or not at all. I am not saying that adults do not get wasted, even responsible adults, all I am saying is that if you know you have to get home and plan on driving, getting wasted is not very responsible.

Even after reading through all these posts, I still tihnk it is wrong to allow someone without a regular/probationary drivers license to drive.

In Wisconsin (USA), in order for someone with thier temp license to drive, they must have an adult in the vehicle with (I think) at least 5 years driving experience, and be sober in order for the child to drive.

If someone is learning how to drive, how can a drunk adult be responsible to teach or watch? Either way, the child is not held liable in this case, while the child has the temp license, the adult in the car is the one who is liable for any and all damages and laws.
NuniPio
Blaster wrote:
Here is the scerinero. Your at a family party. There are some teenagers there around 15 years of age. Everyone else is drunk and really shouldn't drive. Do you think that the 15 year old child should be able to take the drunk people home?

In my opioion i say yes. If the person is around 14 15 or 16 the kid should be able to tak these people home. That way there shouldn't be any acidents. I say that a kid driver at that age is a better driver then a drunk one at any age.

only if he or she is licensed to drive, or else NO!
ItsWesley
I don't really think the 15 year old should drive them home in any circumstances, unless they are in a country where you can get a driving lisence at 15, and only then if they have a lisence.
A 15 year old driving can be just as dangerous as a drunk driver, especially so if they've never driven before. It would just be best for them all to stay over.
ThornsOfSorrow
I'd say definitely not, just because there are so many other solutions. For example, the people at the party can:

1. Stay the night, then drive home the next morning
2. Call a friend to drive them home, then pick up the car the next morning
3. Take a cab home, then pick up the car the next morning

I know that some 15-years-olds are good drivers, but the majority are not (I know I wasn't). In my eyes, driving when you're too young is just as bad as driving drunk.
NuniPio
take a taxi or sleep the night.. if organised try and plan a designated driver to drive before hand
cybernie
Ages 14-16 shouldn't be driving especially on "busy streets" or highways. That's a very big risk on thew safety of the kid and of the passangers. Youngsters at that age brackets don't have that full "concentration" and focus yet. They can drive but they should not be allowed to drive.

Think about the risk. Think about teh violation.

As said on the previous posts, if an adult can't drive because he or she is drunk. Call a friend or someone "at legal or right age" to drive you home, if you can't stay at the place where you got drunk. Else, take a taxi and go home. Leave your car at the place and go back to get your char the next day or when the "spirit" is gone...
datter
How about everyone who's loaded just take a cab?
Blaster
Well i dont' knwo about other courntries but here in the us at age 16 you can get your learners permint and at 16 and a half you can get your license. So maybe not 14 year olds but think about it.
alexdude
Blaster wrote:

thats never going to happen because 15 year old kids don't know how to drive. they might be able to drive but they would never be aloud to.
cybernie
well here in the Philippines, minors are not really allowed to drive... only 18 years old above can get a license from the land Transportation Office...

It's a big risk really when a minor drive on a busy street.
Xzmk07
nope, i would say to get a parent to drive them home.. 15 is still young to drive.
HoboPelican
Someone brought up an interesting point....what about a probationary license? If I remember correctly(and it may be different these days), that allowed a new driver to drive while in the company of an adult who was supervising the driver. Is it legal for the adult driver to be drunk? They really couldn't supervise the probationary driver, could they? Any police officers here? I'm wondering what the legalities of that would be.
CaBz
Wtf is that question ?

Did someone already drive while being drunk? I did it, and I almost killed somenoe. I flee from the place, I'm not proud of that, but NO ONE should drive drunk.

This is bullshit.
PatTheGreat42
I think the kid should call a cab. A young teenager without much (or any) driving experience will NOT do well at driving while surrounded by drunk people.

Furthermore, why should being surrounded by drunk people confer any special privelages?

Any why is a young teenager at a party with nothing but drunk people?

The teens should not be allowed to drive people home when they're drunk. It's just going to lead to accidents. It sounds like a good idea, but it's not going to turn out well. Sorry, dude.
Vrythramax
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
I'd say definitely not, just because there are so many other solutions. For example, the people at the party can:

1. Stay the night, then drive home the next morning
2. Call a friend to drive them home, then pick up the car the next morning
3. Take a cab home, then pick up the car the next morning

I know that some 15-years-olds are good drivers, but the majority are not (I know I wasn't). In my eyes, driving when you're too young is just as bad as driving drunk.

I agree totally, if the person in question is to drunk to drive....call them a taxi/cab, or call somone who is not intoxicated to drive them home...I would also point out that this is the LAW (at least in my State).
ehecatl
Captain Fertile wrote:
It is just as illegal for an underage person to drive as it is an intoxicated legal age driver.

It will make no difference to the victim whether they are hit by a drunk adult or a sober teen.

While I fully appreciate some 15 year olds are mature enough to drive many are not and the law has to draw a line some place. ANYONE can have an accident whether sober, drunk, with a licence or without it is all about cutting down the risks.

In such cases I always look at the worse case scenario - my 15 year old son hits someone. So we are all injured (or dead) the victim is injured (or dead) and my son lives on to face the consequences for the rest of his life, all because I was selfish enough to drink when I knew I shouldn't - I for one would never put my children (or innocent third parties) in harms way like this.

In the scenario above there is only one solution - everyone gets a cab home and the adult comes back to pick up the car when they are sober. If that is too much of a hardship then the adult should have left the car at home in the first place or not had a drink at all - that is the price of being an adult, its called responsibility and it should not be placed on the shoulders of your kids when you don't abide by it.

Just my opinion.

I agree completely with what you've said. That's kind of what I was thinking as well.
Blaster
Oh i know if my parents where too drunk to drive then i would do all i could not to allow to drive. And if they decided to drive drunk i would walk home.

@hobo with a permit your allowed to drive with someone of the age 21 or older. I don't know if that person is allowed to be drunk or not.
creezalird
are all of the people there gonna be drunk?..if not then why don't the teenager ask for help from somebody that he/she knows..ist better..if he/she don't know how to drive and of course still don't have a driving license..
But if there are nobody..why don't just call for a cab..a lot safer and better idea..
OutlawSpirit
i drove drunk people home when i was 17 from parties.. n thats the min age for driving in the UK.. it was fine, as long as the driver is sensible... should be fine.
biljap
Maybe in some extreme cases or if the house is near and road is not too crowded. But I think that they should rather use a taxi.
Jack_Hammer
TruPain wrote:
No...

First off, the adults that are of legal age to drink should also have the responsibility to drink responsibly. Getting drunk is not responsible. If you are at a family gathering or whatever the social event is, you need to keep in mind that you have responsibilties of your own. If you get drunk, you should use better judgement and know not to drive. Call a taxi or have one of the sober persons (not all adults drink) that are legal to drive drive you home.
If you are too drunk to drive, how can you justify using "better" judgement in letting someone that "society" feels is still too young to have the responsibility of driving, drive home? This is also breaking the law.

And if I remember correctly, one state in the US had a case where the drunk adult let thier child drive home, and they were still charged with a Drunk Driving charge because the shild did not have a drivers license, and therefore, the responsibility of the driving came on the adult that was in the car.

Secondly, eventhough I feel that it is a better alternative than driving drunk, but there is usually always a legal alternative means to get home. And besides that, what kind of role model is the adult being for the child reguardless of the social event...

Lmao, the idea of alcohol is to get you drunk, is for that feeling that rush, people who say drink responsibily and don't drink too much are bullshiters alcohol has it's perpose of getting you drunk, thats why people drink it!, There are lots of non-alcoholic drinks that taste better. People who say only drink responsibly are:-

People who have drinking problems
People who are too young to drink / don't like drink
People who have no life and think everything is better in moderation, the same people that never speed, that never live, never feel the rush life is...

HoboPelican wrote:
Someone brought up an interesting point....what about a probationary license? If I remember correctly(and it may be different these days), that allowed a new driver to drive while in the company of an adult who was supervising the driver. Is it legal for the adult driver to be drunk? They really couldn't supervise the probationary driver, could they? Any police officers here? I'm wondering what the legalities of that would be.

No, the person watching would have to sober and a fit state to drive as too monitor the situation as though driving, even just watching a learner driver you have to be as aware or more aware than you do as a driver because you have to know whats happening and monitor the L driver.

CaBz wrote:
Wtf is that question ?

Did someone already drive while being drunk? I did it, and I almost killed somenoe. I flee from the place, I'm not proud of that, but NO ONE should drive drunk.

This is bullshit.

He is not asking if people should drive drunk, that is not what he is asking at all, read the question properly before replying.
[FuN]goku
how about no one drinks when theyre 15 and you dont get that problem!
well.. i mean not at a party... if your gonna do it.. do it at your own home.
arkebuzer
Blaster wrote:

Big no. Sure some of the youngsters might be better drivers than the drunk adults. But it΄s still madness to let them drive a car.
They should all walk home if you ask me.
kazikame
Definitely no. If they haven't got a license, they're gonna be just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, as a drunk diver.
Agent ME
I'd think the better solution would be for the 15 year-old to grab the keys and walk home. Or get a cab.
balticJay
no, they would have to get a taxi or stay at mine, doesn't matter if its just around the corner accidents still happen and why not walk anyway if its just around the corner?
bartdou
I say YES too, 15 years old is mature enough to do such kind of things, do not ever underestimate young people's ability, some comparatively unlucky boys have to support their whole family when they are even younger and they do it well, i believe they will have a great career when they are growen up,
so let them drive and give them confidence, they will be pround of what they have done and will have sense of duty earlier.
Qube
Wow, some people are really cracking down on this thing.

My opinion, it depends really.
If you're with someone who has had practice driving, then yes.
Take for example a friend of mine who's only 14.
She's had practice driving PLENTY of times.
So I would trust her in a heartbeat to drive me home drunk.

This is coming from someone who's had 2 DUI's and a few other run ins with the police.
I'd paid the price, but now I know not to take pointless risks.

Yes, yes, I agree completely with the alternatives.
Taking a cab, getting a sober adult, staying the night.
All make perfect sense.
But there are scenarios where these options aren't available.
I can't speak for others, but my drinking has gotten to the point where I can still make fairly responsible decisions.
That's to say I never get completely sh**-faced.
There really isn't a point imo, it pretty much only causes problems.
Sounds kinda funny from someone living on a college neighborhood that parties pretty much every other day.
Ah well, I stick by what I said.
Reckless decisions are still decisions.
You live with the consequences, so be prepared.
Afaceinthematrix
I don't think so... Both scenarios are dangerous, and it isn't that hard to find a designated driver, with a license.
Pikokola
Well... If you (The 14 years guys/girls who haven't get license) think that you could bring them home safely, I said, "It's ok, as long as that's the last option that you can choose for." (remember there's taxi, phone cell to call another family at home or some other way)

If you (the 14 years kids) who think that you "maybe" could bring them home safely, or even think that yourself can't drive a car. then... forget about that....
theem
NOP i don't think that it should happen !!
where is the police why are we paying them !!!

this is not the duty of the younger teenagers ,,, where are all the elders ? Laughing
GSIS
I suppose it depends on the driving rules for whatever country you're in.

If they're legally under the minimum age limit for driving then - no. Absolutely not.

If they're at or over the age limit it would depend on whether or not they require a responsible, qualified driver to supervise.

If they do require supervision then a qualified driver who is drunk would not be suitable. A qualified driver who is drunk is not suitable so the answer is no. Absolutely not.

If there is a qualified driver who is sober (and legally allowed to supervise learner/provisional drivers) that driver and the teenager would have to decide who is going to do the driving. The decision would be based on a simple risk assessment - weather conditions, experience of student driver, amount of traffic, etc. The answer is - maybe.
Azmo
I say no, no license no driving, even if you only got your test left to take before you have it. You got drunk, you should deal with it.
Mighty_King
It depends on some factors like if the kid has even learned how to drive or at least isn't a newbie at driving. However, the best thing for them to do is just go into a cab, bus, and such which would be the safest choice in that scenario.
GameSpace
Well if the kid can't drive heck no, but if he can hide himself from the cops - sure Razz
Vrythramax
GameSpace wrote:
Well if the kid can't drive heck no, but if he can hide himself from the cops - sure Razz

That's a bit of convoluted logic.

Example: If I don't know how to rob a bank, don't do it, but if I can and can get away from the cops I should do it. I realize that example was a bit extreme....but the basic principle is the same.

No matter how you may look at the situation it's illegal. In this case it's easier (and legal) to simply call a taxi.
squirrelmaster
Ok, so what if you can't stay the night, and you are in an area where there are NO taxi / bus services?

I can see some scenerios like this where it might be considered to let the young person drive, but I have seen no suggestions where-why not just go to the nearest house and ask someone to be a designated driver, I mean unless the nearest house is miles off(you can't ask that neighbor) I'm sure someone would condone to helping in a situation like this.

Plus that, drinking is illegal if you are under 21 years of age in the US.
Isn't there anyone at the party age 16-20 with a license, or did they just get drunk too?
m00tmuffin
Lol, well, it's a question of do you want to break the law this way and possibly injure, maim, or kill people due to your inhibited state, or do you want to break the law a different way and allow an underage driver to possibly injure, maim, or kill people due to their lack of knowledge in regards to driving? There's no reason why it should ever be legal...either call a taxi or spend the night there. (This is going by US law.) Just because "some 14/15" year olds can "drive" doesn't mean that they should, and doesn't mean that all 14/15 year olds should be allowed to drive in such a situation based on that...some may never tried to drive a car at all and would have no idea how to operate one sucessfully. Just because you, the adult, the parent, the of-age, the legally at fault, decided you wanted to have a few extra drinks, the responsibility to get yourself (and your family/children/what have you) home should NOT fall on the shoulders of a kid that isn't even legally of age, especially one that isn't legally of age to drive a car alone.

(edited for spelling.)
ConquerSockets
Hey all,

I would say yes and no. Everything depends on the situation on which you are:

The 15yr old teenager maybe never drived a car and it may be really risky for everybodys lifes even more than if the drunk peoples drives.. Because the nervosity may be even worst.

But if the teenager is really sure of himself, he may drive no problem, but only if it's in really small roads, because personally, I think that if it's in highways or big roads, they will make an accident 90% sure...

They need more experience...

Maybe we should instore urgence driving lessons for 15yr old teenagers so they all will be ready on any case that may happen in their lifes?

Alex.
Vrythramax
I say absolutly NO. I lost my wife and 6 year old daughter to a drunk driver, who may or may not have had the same same reflex reactio as an in-experienced driver.

Take the keys. Call a Taxi. Let them sleep on the couch. Who knows who's life you may save....my little girl was only 6 years old.
Japokskee
its a BIG NO

if u think that u will be drunk for the day. its better to stay in that place and spend the night there. or call a friend who you can trust and tell him or her to drive for you.

better safe than sorry
SoDope523
HoboPelican wrote:
Sorry, I agree with the masses. Some 15 year olds have never even driven a car yet. Unless a drivers license has been issued, there is no indication that the driver is safe to drive, drunk or not. The right thing to do is to a) get a licensed family member to drive b) call a taxi or c) spend the night.

TruPain wrote:

Quote:

When a teenager is 15 years old (varies by state) he/she can get a learners permit to legally drive with a licensed driver 21 or over. If a teenager has an instructional permit they should able to drive someone home. I do agree that adults should be responsible enough to plan ahead and not put themselves or someone else in that predicament. Teenagers are supposed to have somewhere close to 100 hours of driving or 6 months before they can take the test. I'd say that's plenty of driving experience to take some intoxicated adults to their place or residence. I know that by the time I was old enough to take my drivers license test I was more than proficient at driving. If anything there should be a restriction between certain hours or maybe traveling under so many miles. Police usually ask where you're heading when they pull you over and I doubt a 15 year old getting pulled over for the first time will have the wits to successfully lie to a police officer about much. I don't personally know any police officers but depending on the situation, I'm sure most cops would let it go and maybe follow/escort the car home or take them himself. We can say adults should do this or that and avoid that situation entirely but truth is we mess up and it could definitely come in handy.
GuidanceReader
No, for all the reasons already stated. One of my niece's 15 year old friends just died in a car accident. He wasn't drunk, he was driving his mother's car, it wasn't busy. He crashed the car because of lack of experience. Being 15 he didn't have any permits (age is 17 here). He was driving the car in a country town, so it was considered 'acceptable', it wasn't because he stole the car or anything. Age limits for these things are given for a reason. Rules are set for a reason. Responsible adults should be just that and not put the onus on children.
Ghost Rider103
If the kid has a license or permit then there is nothing wrong with it.

In the state of South Dakota, you can legally get a permit (meaning you can drive with an adult over the age of 1Cool at the age of just 14. Kids that grow up on farms can get one at an even younger age for driving vehicles out on a farm I believe.

But here in South Dakota it is not uncommon to see a 15 year old driving all by themselves. After getting your permit, 6 months later you can take your final driving test for your actual license. If they can pass that test then they are just as capable as any other adult when it comes to driving in my opinion.

I realize this is not the situation in many other states and even other countries. I grew up in California, which has very different driving laws concerning age. I know a lot of people would be shocked to hear a 14 year old driving to school everyday all by themselves. But it's reality and it happens everyday here.

Note: this is a rather old topic, but nonetheless a good one. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of the date of the topic and the majority of the replies.
Hello_World
If they have a license that allows it, yes, I guess. Although here that would be impossible.

There are plenty of better ways to avoid drink driving than getting young, inexperienced kids to drive a bunch of rowdy and disruptive adults home, presumable in the night.
deanhills
If the teenager has a driving license and is a good driver, then there is no problem. If he is an inexperienced driver however, there are other ways of transporting someone home.